bab1, you win the hero of the year award. I really cannot thank you enough.
I really appreciate you taking the time to not only point me in the right direction, but also educate me on what is going on. I was able to fix the problem and feel more confident for being able to do things in the future. I think the valuable lesson I learned today is "know how to use fstab."
Honestly, thank you so much for your help; you were spot on with everything.
For the benefit of people in the future who might have a similar problem, I will post my solution below:
It looks like the new mount points that were created ("Media1" and "Media2") were written to my ext4 partition because that was the only partition mounted when it was trying to write. I didn't do anything with these mount points until after I fixed everything else.
The first thing I did was use the GUI in Kubuntu to disable automounting (don't know if this is necessary or not, but I feel like it might prevent potential future problems). I did this by going to System Settings>Removeable Devices>Uncheck "Enable automatic mounting of removable devices."
After that I ran the command:
It worked this time because I installed UUID using Synaptic (guess it is not installed by default).
After looking at that, and looking at the fstab documentation (found here), I was able to figure out what I needed to do. I edited my /etc/fstab file and added the following entries:
After I did that, everthing worked perfectly. Everything mounted on startup and the mount points were all correct. I think the important thing here was identifying the UUIDs and using those to mount the specific partitions.
# NTFS ~ Use ntfs-3g for write access (rw)
UUID=18F9262A23672AD5 /media/MyName/Media ntfs-3g auto,users,uid=1000,gid=100,dmask=027,fmask=137,utf8 0 0
UUID=36A534DD74422B08 /media/MyName/BackupHourly ntfs-3g auto,users,uid=1000,gid=100,dmask=027,fmask=137,utf8 0 0