Windows 7 + Ubuntu Dual Boot: Cannot Boot Windows Any More

Original Setup:
    -Windows 7 on an SSD
    -Extra storage on a hard drive

Dual Boot Setup:
    -Windows 7 on an SSD
    -Extra storage on a hard drive
    -64-bit Ubuntu 13.10 on a third hard drive

I added a third drive and installed Ubuntu on it. Since then, I've been unable to boot Windows. (Ubuntu works fine.)

I tried two things:
    1. sudo update-grub then restarting didn't help
    2. As per this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9826152 I tried to repair Windows with a Windows disc. However, once Windows boots from the disc, my USB keyboard & USB mouse stop working, so I can't do anything. (Unfortunately, I don't have any non-USB keyboards/mice to try.) All of my USB ports don't work at this point.

I found that the only way I can access Windows is by turning off my computer, removing the hard drive with Ubuntu, then booting from Windows works. (The repair actually succeeds.) Feeling hopeful about this, I turned off my computer, reconnected the hard drive with Ubuntu, and restarted the computer. Unfortunately, once I did this, Windows is no longer bootable again, and all of the problems are back again. (It's as if the presence of GRUB makes Windows not able to boot or something...?)

What can I do to fix this? Is there some way I can do a Windows boot repair from within Ubuntu? Any advice/help is much appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Windows 7 + Ubuntu Dual Boot: Cannot Boot Windows Any More

It sounds as if you are using the wrong boot priority device to get to windows, though I do not fully understand how two windows installations work together with regard to bootmanagers. I am also surprised that bootrepair has not figured this out for you.

I presume you have booted into Ubuntu and run
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    but if not, do so now and see if that works for you.

Try going into the BIOS/UEFI to change boot priority and set each hard disk as priority one by one.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

sudo update-grub didn't help.

Changing the boot priority didn't work. Also, pressing F11 at start-up and manually selecting to boot from the hard drive with Windows did not work.

It may also be worth noting that when I installed Ubuntu, it told me that it didn't recognize any other operating systems on the computer (which I found odd).

Beans
    Hidden!

OK, I am now out of my depth and I can not help with any windows problems any more not having really used it since 2005.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

For advice on triple boot configurations .. for your multiple drives .. search this forum .. advanced search ..
    looking for key words triple boot in thread titles only.

Beans

I'm not doing a triple boot... I'm doing a dual boot with a 3rd hard drive for extra space.

Beans

From what you're describing, I think that might be a hardware conflict. I've had a similar problem not too long ago -- Windows (in one SATA drive) wouldn't boot if an IDE data drive was plugged in another SATA port, through an IDE->SATA adapter in MASTER mode. So I ended up removing that IDE drive completely off the motherboard, no issues since ... just something to keep in mind.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Did you try boot repair? it sounds like you may have installed grub in the ubuntu disk rather than in the MBR.
    you can download and run boot repair from here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    Boot repair offers to save a error log for you online pay particular attention to the web address, if it does not fix the problem then you should be able to post the output of that file and it may have important info on what went wrong.
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Ubuntu-Mate 16.04

Beans

I ran the recommended repair for the boot repair, and it seemed hopeful. (Note that I ran it while in "Try Ubuntu" mode, running from the CD.) Here is the message it gave me once it was done:

Code:
    Boot successfully repaired.

Please write on a paper the following URL:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/7128528/

In case you still experience boot problem, indicate this URL to:
    boot.repair@gmail.com or to your favorite support forum.

You can now reboot your computer.
    Please do not forget to make your BIOS boot on sda1/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi file!

You may want to retry after deactivating the [Backup and rename Windows EFI files] option.

The boot of your PC is in Legacy mode. You may want to retry after changing it to EFI mode.
    That didn't help, so I ran Ubuntu off the CD again and ran the BootInfo summary. This is what I got: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7128583/

Any idea what I should do next?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Ok turn the efi mode back on. It was in legacy mode when you installed ubuntu and windows will not boot in Legacy mode. that's why grub can not boot it.

after turning on EFI mode. run Boot-Repair again. follow the on screen instructions it gives you very carefully.
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Ubuntu-Mate 16.04

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast