Thread: Did I overheat laptop?

Beans

Did I overheat laptop?

I've always used desktops... my first time using laptop (borrowed from a friend) During install of Ubuntu I had laptop on a chair and didn't notice the exhaust fan was blocked by the arm of chair. I noticed a smell (fabric of chair or laptop parts cooking, not sure) I got no warnings, and nothing shutdown, but I think it was a bad install... got some message... can't remember exactly. I will install again, but worried I might have damaged laptop. What is most likely: cpu or power supply damage?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Did I overheat laptop?

With newer PCs/laptops you hardly can cook CPU, it will turn off far reaching dangerous treshold. Older ones usually also save themselves from overheating.
    If you have power you also did not damage power supply. You might have just overheated the exhaust, and cook the chair.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Did I overheat laptop?

you can use utlimatebootcd or similar diagnostic bundle to test the hardware. overheating components turn off themselves (or the will cause a freeze (eg.g some GPU's)

also next time put a teacup next to it. it iwll get nice and warm

btw check the GPU and drivers for it. in case it is overheating anyway due to impropper drivers.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla