Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My WinXP got infected after 23 minutes of being conected.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: My WinXP got infected after 23 minutes of being conected.

Quote Originally Posted by Janux
    Wow, how nice, Windows and Linux zealots.
    i've yet to see anyone be overly zealous about anything - especially windows ...
    (Ubuntu 7.10) PC#1 SPECS / (Ubuntu 7.10) PC#2 SPECS / (Vista HomePremium | Arch Linux 2007.08-2) Gateway 6841
    VMs: Server 2k3, CentOS5 in Xen [mysql/apache/named], CentOS5 [zimbra server]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

even with firefox, norton anti virus, and a fully patched windows sp 2 system, i still get these like 10 pieces of spyware (tracking cookies mostly) that appear on my windows system every time i do a scan with them with adware 6 and spybot search and destroy.

but using internet explorer will get you spyware, and eventually viruses very easily. even with a firewall and anti virus program. Its a real shame that that piece of crap is the default browser and one of the most used for windows....
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

I am overly zealous about apathy and indifference.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    I am overly zealous about apathy and indifference.
    No fair! Big words!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'm Overly Zealous About Linux.
    "Some people says that if you run a Microsoft Midori iso backwards you will hear demon voices commanding you to worship Satan". But that's nothing. If you run it forward it will install Microsoft Midori.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by scxtt View Post
    i'm sorry, but i refuse to believe that a box, even just sitting there (and at least on a router), will be attacked by "viruses" like hungry fat kids @ a twinkie factory ... yes, windows has security holes, but there are no immediate "oh look its a windows box!!" viruses floating around wringing their hands in evil anticipation ...
    I've worked on networks where we put out "honey pots" (unprotected Windows servers and workstations) and saw them infected within 30-60 minutes. Not doing anything with them; just sitting wide open on the net.

Paul
    Google for Linux | How to install anything | Linux Guides | Where's Root?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

then i must be really lucky or my router is just smart ...
    (Ubuntu 7.10) PC#1 SPECS / (Ubuntu 7.10) PC#2 SPECS / (Vista HomePremium | Arch Linux 2007.08-2) Gateway 6841
    VMs: Server 2k3, CentOS5 in Xen [mysql/apache/named], CentOS5 [zimbra server]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Janux View Post
    Wow, how nice, Windows and Linux zealots.

While It's a reality that your Windows box can be pwn3d... ahem, infected even if you don't touch it, it's also easy to prevent that if you download the security patches from Windows Update and you have a properly configured firewall.
    I run Linux and Windows, and I complain about and praise both OS's. If you read all of the thread, you will realise that the infections happened BEFORE there was even a chance to get updates.On 3 occasions the infections happened DURING updates.

Properly configured firewall means nothing my friend, software firewalls are pretty but not much use.

By the way, I now have a 5 computer Linux network with IPCOP hardware firewall connecting through a router. NOTHING gets through.
    Me and my friends regularly try to hack eachother's system to check the security. (We say compromised instead of pwn3d )

Beans

you ARE NOT going to get a "virus" (or anything negative) by visiting ATI.com / microsoft.com to download drivers &/or updates ...

based off the initial vague post - it's total BS to think just by running windows and having an active internet connection that BAM! you'll have a virus ...
    Incorrect.
    If you leave a Windows box connected to the intenet without protection (use those condoms!), it'll be infected in minutes.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/securit...9200021,00.htm
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...honeypot_x.htm
    http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/54201306

then i must be really lucky or my router is just smart ...
    A router is (amongst other things) a firewall. The chances of being infected while behind a router are much lower.

I've heard many stories of people getting infected while installing Windows.
    That's why I always install antivirus software and a firewall before going online.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

heh...Windows won't install on this box...doesn't like my hardware.
    I once did it after 3 hours of attempts, and massive amounts of reconfiguration after install, with the net disconnected.
    I don't kniow what it is about my hardware config, but windows really doesn't like it. Linux Just Works. Windows doesn't. 'nuff said.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast