Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My WinXP got infected after 23 minutes of being conected.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: My WinXP got infected after 23 minutes of being conected.

windows is going to be around for a while so people better start learning how to keep their computer safe!!

Or actually don't bother learning. Just pay the techie to do it. That way i can pay my way through uni by fixing messed up windows systems for money!!
    Life's a journey. Enjoy the ride!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by scxtt View Post
    you ARE NOT going to get a "virus" (or anything negative) by visiting ATI.com / microsoft.com to download drivers &/or updates ...

based off the initial vague post - it's total BS to think just by running windows and having an active internet connection that BAM! you'll have a virus ...
    Actually it has happened to me a couple of years ago as well, and I am no windows newbie.
    No vague descriptions here. I installed a fresh windows xp, the first thing as always was to install avg antivirus, I installed the drivers and setup files for my usb modem that connects via Telefonica Spain. Everything went according to plan. I started the connection, hit avg to update. In the middle of the update I got infected after approximately 25 seconds. The message "RPC has unexpectedly shutdown, windows will reboot in 30 seconds, and the countdown starts.
    By the way ALL of my software was always virus checked before being saved on cd. So yes, you CAN get infected only by being connected to the internet, it doesn't matter what sites you visit.

Have aread up on Nachi :-
    http://www.fortinet.com/VirusEncyclo...rectly&fid=437
    Last edited by richbarna; July 23rd, 2006 at 02:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

i'm sorry, but i refuse to believe that a box, even just sitting there (and at least on a router), will be attacked by "viruses" like hungry fat kids @ a twinkie factory ... yes, windows has security holes, but there are no immediate "oh look its a windows box!!" viruses floating around wringing their hands in evil anticipation ...
    (Ubuntu 7.10) PC#1 SPECS / (Ubuntu 7.10) PC#2 SPECS / (Vista HomePremium | Arch Linux 2007.08-2) Gateway 6841
    VMs: Server 2k3, CentOS5 in Xen [mysql/apache/named], CentOS5 [zimbra server]

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Believe it or not, yes, it is possible to infect an unpatched WinXP machine. XP runs a service that can be attacked from the outside in such a way that it will be infected without you having to do anything at all.

Service Pack 2 will keep this from happening, so the trick is to have SP2 at the ready, install XP then SP2 disconnected from the Internet, turn on XP's builtin firewall (at the very least, hardware FW is better), then allow XP access to the Internet.

Trust me, Windows is just that bad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

i don't doubt it's vulnerable - but i fail to see (and please explain if necessary) how anything can even get past a router ...

case in point - i only had port 5900 forwarded to my box (well, SSH too), i shut down my :0 connection so i can't x11vnc into my box - fine, i thought, i'll use vncserver & port 5901 - well it's not forwarded (i disabled it, intentionally ... if i can't even get onto my box, i fail to see how others can ...

keep in mind i'm talking about being behind a router only (i never paid much attn to firewalls in my XP-only days) ...

i'm also going to blame a lot of problems on the fact that most people run XP as an administrator ...
    (Ubuntu 7.10) PC#1 SPECS / (Ubuntu 7.10) PC#2 SPECS / (Vista HomePremium | Arch Linux 2007.08-2) Gateway 6841
    VMs: Server 2k3, CentOS5 in Xen [mysql/apache/named], CentOS5 [zimbra server]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Actually there are. I got busted by sasser while doing my xp updates. Check this out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasser_worm, it mentions that it can spread without the help of the user. Although I should also mention that I had it connected directly to my ADSL modem. Now that I have multiple computers I have a router set up with a Nat firewall and I havent had a problem since. It is possible to get something just by being connected to the internet. Might be a worm instead of a virus though . Have to remember that not everyone is running a router... although they should.

Regards,
    Stew2

Edit: Note, mine was a fresh install of XP Home and as soon as I got connected to the internet I went to microsoft.com and started the updates and service pack 2. I never even made it through all of the updates before sasser started rebooting my newly built PC.
    Last edited by Stew2; July 23rd, 2006 at 03:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

You must have been either,
    1) looking somewhere you shouldn't be,

2) A target from someone who hates you.

Believe it or not, my xp partition has never been attacked because i use some very prudent, yet basic steps.

*Always use a virus scan

*Never log in as admin

*Use a better firewall(several free ones)

*Use an alternative browser, like firefox or opera.

While i might seem trivial and tedious to most users, it's much easier and faster then the alternative.

Good luck.

Beans

My machine got infected only when members of the family got curious of opening emails with funny/weird attachments. Just educated them about the safe use of emails and internet. So far no virus/trojan horses has penetrated the system.
    I am using free zonealarm and avast.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Wow, how nice, Windows and Linux zealots.

While It's a reality that your Windows box can be pwn3d... ahem, infected even if you don't touch it, it's also easy to prevent that if you download the security patches from Windows Update and you have a properly configured firewall.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Janux View Post
    Wow, how nice, Windows and Linux zealots.

While It's a reality that your Windows box can be pwn3d... ahem, infected even if you don't touch it, it's also easy to prevent that if you download the security patches from Windows Update and you have a properly configured firewall.
    Ummm... not really zealots on either side. Just folks stating their opinions. I personally run both OS's and dont really consider myself a zealot of either

Regards,
    Stew2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast