Thread: Installing shadowgrounds.iso on Ubuntu 13.10

Beans

Installing shadowgrounds.iso on Ubuntu 13.10

Hi. I have done a quick search on the gaming sub-forums to see if there are similar problems that have been encountered previously with installing the Linux version of shadowgrounds. But unless I have missed something, I don't believe that I have found anything related.

My problem is with trying to make a shadowgrounds.iso file install the game. Within the shadowgrounds.iso file is another file that is named shadowgroundsUpdate1.run file
    I have tried these commands several times with similar results and unfortunately, no install of the game has yet been successful beyond these terminal inputs.

The command inputs I've tried are the following. Here is the full output:

Code:
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:~$ sudo mkdir /media/loop
    mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/media/loop’: File exists
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:~$ sudo mount -o loop -t iso9660 ~/Downloads/shadowgrounds.iso /media/loop
    mount: block device /home/frankenstein/Downloads/shadowgrounds.iso is write-protected, mounting read-only
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:~$ cp -R /media/loop/* ~/installer_temp/
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:~$ sync
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:~$ cd ~/installer_temp
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:~/installer_temp$ chmod u+rx ./shadowgroundsUpdate1.run
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:~/installer_temp$ ./shadowgroundsUpdate1.run
    bash: ./shadowgroundsUpdate1.run: No such file or directory
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:~/installer_temp$ umount /media/loop
    umount: /media/loop is not in the fstab (and you are not root)
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:~/installer_temp$ sudo umount /media/loop
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:~/installer_temp$

The ./shadowgroundsUpdate1.run file should be within the installer_temp; however, as I've be come aware on a number of occasions when attempting these Terminal inputs, I don't see it within the /media/loop directory, the temp directory, nor in the home directory. That includes searching within some of the hidden files in all those directories.

Oh, by the way, I have tried it both this way:
    Code:
    umount /media/loop
    cd ~/installer_temp
    and this way:

Code:
    cd ~/installer_temp
    umount /media/loop
    as you can see with the below terminal inputs when reversing.

Code:
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:~/installer_temp$ rm -rf ~/installer_temp
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:~$ sudo mkdir /media/loop
    [sudo] password for frankenstein: 
    mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/media/loop’: File exists
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:~$ mount -o loop -t iso9660 ~/downloads/shadowgrounds.iso /media/loop
    mount: only root can do that
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:~$ sudo mount -o loop -t iso9660 ~/downloads/shadowgrounds.iso /media/loop
    /home/frankenstein/downloads/shadowgrounds.iso: No such file or directory
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:~$ sudo mount -o loop -t iso9660 ~/Downloads/shadowgrounds.iso /media/loop
    mount: block device /home/frankenstein/Downloads/shadowgrounds.iso is write-protected, mounting read-only
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:~$ cp -R /media/loop/* ~/installer_temp/
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:~$ sync
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:~$ umount /media/loop
    umount: /media/loop is not in the fstab (and you are not root)
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:~$ sudo umount /media/loop
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:~$ cd ~/installer_temp
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:~/installer_temp$ chmod u+rx ./shadowgroundsUpdate1.run
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:~/installer_temp$

as on the 1st occasion on utilizing the inputs given above there was a bit of a hiccup (the above inputs are actually the 5th and 6th time I believe).
    Sorry, as I don't recall but it didn't work out that way.
    Hence the reversal of those terminal inputs. Regardless, either way I don't think really matters. Please do correct me if I"m wrong on this last part, though.

The problem that I'm facing is that there doesn't seem to be the ~/installer_temp$ directory and hence I think this might be the cause of my troubles.

Please suggest to me alternate terminal inputs to get the game installed if there is a better one available. Secondly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Installing shadowgrounds.iso on Ubuntu 13.10

I may be off base here, but have you tried extracting the .ISO with Acetone (the FOSS version of the much-pirated Windows Alcohol program)? It'll extract every file on the .ISO to a folder.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

I haven't done that but what I've done instead is mount the .iso file on Ubuntu's virtual disk mount and it basically comes out as the same thing. I can even copy/paste that same shadowUpdate1.run file to the home directory and attempt to execute it there.
    Still no go.
    And the file is set as 'set file as executable' under the Properties heading.

Beans

Bump. Hi. Is there anyone that might have an answer to my initial interest in having this resolved?

Beans

bump again, please. Still looking for help on this issue

Beans
    Hidden!

What is the size and md5 checksum (run "md5sum shadowgroundsUpdate1.run" in the console) of the file?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by R33D3M33R View Post
    What is the size and md5 checksum (run "md5sum shadowgroundsUpdate1.run" in the console) of the file?
    Code:
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:/media/frankenstein/T_Drive_Alternate_Storage_B/Gaming$ md5sum shadowgroundsUpdate1.run 7c9913f754168742973edfeb66ba8f1c  shadowgroundsUpdate1.run.
    Code:
     817.5 MB (817,462,983 bytes)

Beans
    Hidden!

The checksum is ok. Can you change directory to /media/frankenstein/T_Drive_Alternate_Storage_B/Gaming and run the installer by: ./shadowgroundsUpdate1.run
    Still problems?

Beans

Hi. And thanks for helping out again.
    First, this is where it is going to get a bit confusing for me if I try to run it on the external hard-drive.

Should I begin a

Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/loop
    at that destination on the external hard-drive?
    Kind of like I did in my first post above in the home directory whereby I started of with that command and follow those same command structure as listed? Because won't that mount a virtual drive of sorts on the external hard-drive?

Edit: I did try doing that. Here is the output:

Code:
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:/media/frankenstein/T_Drive_Alternate_Storage_B/Gaming$ sudo mkdir /media/loop
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:/media/frankenstein/T_Drive_Alternate_Storage_B/Gaming$ sudo mount -o loop -t iso9660 ~/media/frankenstein/T_Drive_Alternate_Storage_B/Gaming/shadowgrounds.iso /media/loop
    /home/frankenstein/media/frankenstein/T_Drive_Alternate_Storage_B/Gaming/shadowgrounds.iso: No such file or directory
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:/media/frankenstein/T_Drive_Alternate_Storage_B/Gaming$ sudo mount -o loop -t iso9660 /media/frankenstein/T_Drive_Alternate_Storage_B/Gaming/shadowgrounds.iso /media/loop
    mount: block device /media/frankenstein/T_Drive_Alternate_Storage_B/Gaming/shadowgrounds.iso is write-protected, mounting read-only
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:/media/frankenstein/T_Drive_Alternate_Storage_B/Gaming$ cp -R /media/loop/* ~/installer_temp/
    cp: cannot create regular file ‘/home/frankenstein/installer_temp/’: Not a directory
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:/media/frankenstein/T_Drive_Alternate_Storage_B/Gaming$ cp -R /media/loop/* ~/installer_temp/
    cp: cannot create regular file ‘/home/frankenstein/installer_temp/’: Not a directory
    I have also done this:

Code:
    frankenstein@frankenstein-desktop:/media/frankenstein/T_Drive_Alternate_Storage_B/Gaming$ chmod u+rx ./shadowgroundsUpdate1.run
    No go.

I must be doing something wrong. Please let me know. You mentioned to run the .run file. But how exactly would I be executing the .run file?
    Thanks kindly in advance again for your help.
    Last edited by Hodevah; March 31st, 2014 at 04:30 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't understand why are you insisting on mounting the iso if you have the .run file in the same folder. Just run it and that is it (If you were able to run md5sum on the file, then it's possible to execute it).