Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Toshiba Satellite M30X-S221ST

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Linux on Laptops

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Maybe someone else who knows about Vaults can respond.
    It's an encryption software bundled with many Lexar JumpDrive and others. Compatible with MacOS and Windows only therefore my suggestion is to backup the contents and then just delete the vaults.
    If you need an encrypted partition/volume in that drive (or any other) you can later create it using Truecrypt (multi-platform, free and open-source, noticeably better performance, etc.).
    Galiza Nao!

Beans

The Vault folder is where I store my MS Word docs, Xcel, and photos. Will I be able to read/open/update those files after I mount the USB?
    Can't really say for sure. Ubuntu allows for the installation of Wine -- which will then allow you to run some Windows apps.

MS Office 2007 works fairly well in Wine, as do some components of Office 2010.

But quite frankly, nothing works as well with MS Office as does MS Windows.

So, if you really depend on using MS Office components on a daily basis, it is best to keep MS Windows around for that.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by pancho5 View Post
    That's what I thought. The concern that I have is that this is the only computer that I have. If it doesn't work, I'm hosed! BTW, during the installation of Ubuntu 12.04.4, will it ask me how much space I need for my partition or will it automatically assign an amount for my partition?
    which is why there is a "Try it" option (live mode) available after you boot from USB or DVD. you can run the OS see if Wi-fi and graphics works. If it works then you can install if not well don't install it. in live mode the OS is loaded into RAM, and it takes longer to load it from DVD or USB than it will later from hard disk. but the "good" side is that once you exit all changes are lost (unless you did some disk changes) and the OS is gone into the air .

I would go with Xubuntu on this maschine. if you just want to try it out a bit 8-10 GB disk is enough.

the OS itself will take about 6GB, then the kernel updates can quickly add a GB or 2GB. well with 8GB space for the OS i have about 1GB free for rpograms. not much but enough for testing etc. only i created a small swap. if swap is 2GB then ofcourse you need that part of disk as well. and if oyu want to try some wine porgrams then 15 GB at least in total.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by pancho5 View Post
    Ok...two more questions. #1) My laptop has a 1.60Ghz processor, 1.96GB RAM, and a 40GB HD. The Installation guide says I will need 15GB to install Ubuntu. That leaves 35GB of free space in my HD. Am I correct in this? #2) I have two USB Flash drives. One is a Lexar that has three folders. One for Mac(which i don't use), one for Windows(which I don't use), and the other for Vaults. The Vault folder is where I store my MS Word docs, Xcel, and photos. Will I be able to read/open/update those files after I mount the USB?
    question #1......I believe most Linux installs only really need around 8-10 GB to run perfectly....

question #2.....yes, you will be able to read/open/update all your files with no problems using Libre Office that is
    installed with Linux

tommy
    Registered Linux User # 529389
    Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS, Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS, Debian 7.7 Wheezy, Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca, Fedora 21
    my new & improved web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

LibreOffice is, loosely speaking, an Office clone. I rarely use either. But, I gather LibreOffice is good at handling many Office formats, but still not so good at some of the newest formats.

This is easily testable in a live session. If you have an empty USB port available, you could insert your Vault USB, launch LibreOffice, and see if it copes with the Vault encryption. If not, as suggested, copy the de-crypted files somewhere safe until you get Ubuntu installed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

if libre office doesn't work, then there is also WPS or Kingsoft office. A popular chinese mS office clone (well actually not so much a clone since it's older than MS office i believe).

There is also caligra office etc. depends what kind of format one uses. lately libre ofice has imporved a lot on using the MS office format.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

If 15 of 40 GB is used for ubuntu than 25 remains and there is a swap consideration also. Most MSO documents will open in Libre Office and can can be saved as MSO documents. Photo extensions such as .jpg , .png and so on are common both operating systems and Shotwell is the default photo manager.

http://www.yorba.org/projects/shotwell/
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Have you tried running off a live media first - such as the dvd or USB? I'd try that before I' try anything else. If things look good there we can proceed with helping you with the install. If not, STOP and post back the nature of the problem(s) and any relevant screen captures, error messages, etc.. This way you don't "lose" you PC until after we get things settled down a little.

For Office, I can only go by my recent experience. The documents I worked with MSOffice 2007 documents. I didn't have too much trouble with them, although sometimes the formatting got messed up. The real problem came in sharing those documents back to someone with Windows after I had updated them in LibreOffice. Again, the formatting was messed up. Was not pleasant making a lot of changes over an extended amount of time only to find they didn't appear the same in MSOffice on a Windows platform. My experience could be unique. It could be that there was something I missed that I needed to do. I'm not a big user of MSOffice on the Windows side or LibreOffice on the Linux side. I do some VERY basic things. The ones I had problems with were somethings I was trying to rescure from my brother in-law's failing notebook (read: virus in Windows, only way to get the PC to boot was either by Linux live media or the eventual reinstall of Windows).
    Last edited by squakie; March 19th, 2014 at 02:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Toshiba Satellite M30X-S221ST

For your hardware I would recommend Lubuntu 13.10. You need to add this xorg.conf after installation:
    https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lu...er/006117.html

I don't understand why people are still bothering with office packages. I suggest loading it all into Google Docs.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Toshiba Satellite M30X-S221ST

oh yes, also cloud offices work.

however i have blocked access to them at work
    Your request was denied because of its content categorization: "File Storage/Sharing;Office/Business Applications"

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast