Thread: Html5 os

Beans

Lightbulb Html5 os

Just out of curiosoity, do you guys think it would be a possibilty making a OS based on HTML5! (I know there needs to be a kernel, and a boot loader coded in ASM, so it obviosly wont just be HTML, CSS and Javascript.) I thought this would be a cool topic to descuss as im not sure if HTML can run commands from a Kernel,but nothing is impossible. What do you guys think? Is it possible to make a HTML5 based OS? and do you think it would work well?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Html5 os

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Not a support request.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can build interfaces with HTML, but not operating systems. HTML is basically an engine that translates text.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You need to use a browser to execute HTML, maybe you can make it like an application, but not OS.
    Last edited by james114; March 26th, 2014 at 11:31 AM.
    OS: Ubuntu 12.04 / Specification: Xeon 3210 with 8 GB DDR333
    My Bible Project (PHP)

Beans

HTML5 can be used to write web applications that still work when you're not connected to the net.
    Tto tell websites where you are physically located; to handle high definition video; and to deliver extraordinary graphics.

Beans

Maybe another question is could you make a window manager or desktop environment based on html5 (given the O/S is maybe best left alone).

Login managers are themeing with html 5. And Gnome 3 uses javascript and css in its Dash... So, yeah - create a javascript / html 5 / css window manager for us

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr