Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Ubuntu version compatible with WebEx, etc.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Beans
    172

    Ubuntu version compatible with WebEx, etc.

    I was unable to attend a WebEx Meeting for a LGO (Large Government Organization) recently. Tech support at WebEx tells me the problem is with my operating sytem (see MORE BACKGROUND INFO below). I was using, Lubuntu 13.10. WebEx tech support said that there is no official LGO/WebEx support for Ubuntu past 10 or 11. So it looks like to be sure I can attend a future meeting I have to install Ubuntu 10x or 11x (Gnome) or some other OS like Fedora 15 or 16 32-bit or Windows XP SP3.

    QUESTION(S): Is it possible to download and install these older versions of Ubuntu (or Linux)? Any recommendation for which one would be the best? I just want to be able to attend WebEx meetings with this LGO.

    Thanks,

    R.

    MORE BACKGROUND INFO:

    WebEx tech support sent me the following link:
    ( https://uspto.webex.com/docs/T28L/mc....htm#OSSUpport ) that describes support for various operating systems.

    Operating Systems Windows
    XP SP3, 2003 Server,
    Vista 32-bit/64-bit,
    Windows 7 32-bit/64-bit,
    Windows 8 32-bit/64-bit
    Mac OS X* 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, 10.9 Linux

    Ubuntu 10x and 11x (Gnome),
    Red Hat 5, 6,
    Open SuSE 11.4
    Fedora 15, 16 (all 32-bit)

    And the notes at the top of the page
    ( https://uspto.webex.com/docs/T28L/mc.../xplatform.htm ) say:

    Notes:

    WebEx will support any Linux distribution as long as it meets the following requirements:

    • Kernel: 2.6 or later
    • X Lib: X11R6 or later compatible
    • C++ Lib: libstdc++ 6
    • Desktop Environment: XFce 4.0 or later, KDE, Ximian, Gnome
    • GDK/GTK+ version: 2.0 or later
    • Glib: 2.0 or later
    • Java 1.6



    Last edited by RMcGinnis; March 17th, 2014 at 09:50 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Metro-ATL; PM free zone.
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Ubuntu version compatible with WebEx, etc.

    You did the right thing by contacting WebEx. THEY are on the hook for supporting current OSes. If they choose NOT to do so for business reasons, there isn't much we can really do. They don't support Win2000 or Win95 either.

    As far as which Linux to install - I would NEVER suggest that you install any Linux that is not currently supported with active security patches especially when Java is involved. None of those Ubuntu versions are supported today, so that is NOT an option.

    Fedora 20 is the current 6month support Fedora. It is meant for developers, IMHO, not end users. If Redhat 6 is still supported, that would be my suggestion. I know that RHEL 6 is still supported and will be for years. I think it may be less expensive to install Windows7/8. http://www.redhat.com/products/enter...linux/desktop/

    Just thought of another option. CentOS-6. See, CentOS strives to be binary compatible with RHEL of the same release. CentOS is GNU licensed for the effort of a download. I'd get the latest CentOs - 6.5 and try that inside a KVM or Virtualbox VM. https://www.centos.org/download/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In here watching you!
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Ubuntu version compatible with WebEx, etc.

    TheFu beet me to it. I was going to suggest CentOS 6.5 as well.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

    No support requests by PM please.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Lyon, France
    Beans
    916
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Ubuntu version compatible with WebEx, etc.

    webex seems to be working with 14.04. (haven't tried and won't try 13.10)

    I installed the oracle java jre then the plugin for firefox.
    James Dupin
    IT contractor
    Project delivery specialist
    http://fr.linkedin.com/in/jamesdupin

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Beans
    172

    Re: Ubuntu version compatible with WebEx, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    As far as which Linux to install - I would NEVER suggest that you install any Linux that is not currently supported with active security patches especially when Java is involved. None of those Ubuntu versions are supported today, so that is NOT an option.

    Fedora 20 is the current 6month support Fedora. It is meant for developers, IMHO, not end users. If Redhat 6 is still supported, that would be my suggestion. I know that RHEL 6 is still supported and will be for years. I think it may be less expensive to install Windows7/8. http://www.redhat.com/products/enter...linux/desktop/

    Just thought of another option. CentOS-6. See, CentOS strives to be binary compatible with RHEL of the same release. CentOS is GNU licensed for the effort of a download. I'd get the latest CentOs - 6.5 and try that inside a KVM or Virtualbox VM. https://www.centos.org/download/
    Thanks Fu,

    I only plan to use the OS just for the one activity of doing WebEx interviews with the one LGO for a short period of time, not cruising the internet. I would likely be uninstalling the OS in a month or two. So maybe using an OS that is not supported by active security patches is not so much of a security risk. What do you think?

    Is Redhat 6 free? How do I determine if Redhat 6 is still supported?

    Why do you like CentOs - 6.5?

    Would it be possible to use CentOs - 6.5 without a virtual machine set-up?

    I only have 1.25 GB of RAM, so I think a Virtualbox is not really an option. And I would guess that neither is KVM, but I don't know.

    Do you think CentOs 6.5 meets the criteria in the WebEx "Notes" section I posted?

    Thanks,

    R.
    Last edited by RMcGinnis; March 18th, 2014 at 03:55 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Beans
    172

    Re: Ubuntu version compatible with WebEx, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by bluefrog View Post
    webex seems to be working with 14.04. (haven't tried and won't try 13.10)

    I installed the oracle java jre then the plugin for firefox.
    Thanks James. My Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and Lubuntu 13.10 work fine with JAVA 1.7.0_51 for using my own free basic WebEx account for a desktop sharing interview. However, for the large LGO, according to WebEx, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and Lubuntu 13.10 are not officially supported. I guess they are too new, although maybe they do meet the criteria in the "Notes" section I posted.

    Thanks,

    R.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Beans
    2,135

    Re: Ubuntu version compatible with WebEx, etc.

    Not officially support doesn't mean it won't work. Just that it is not guranteed to work.

    Yeah if it works for RHE6 it will most likely work with Centos-6.5. Redhat is not free but Centos is, basically the same thing for most part minus the technical support from Redhat and the branding. Centos is the 'community spin' of Redhat.

    You don't need VM to isntall Centos, carve out a small partition may be 6-7 G (probably can do with less, but just be comfortable) and you can easily set up a dual boot with Ubuntu (not pesty like dualbooting Windows) Just don't install any bootloader in the process and when done, boot into Ubuntu to update grub ("sudo update-grub")

    Edit: to install java http://www.if-not-true-then-false.co...-red-hat-rhel/
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; March 18th, 2014 at 06:05 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Beans
    172

    Re: Ubuntu version compatible with WebEx, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Not officially support doesn't mean it won't work. Just that it is not guranteed to work.

    Yeah if it works for RHE6 it will most likely work with Centos-6.5. Redhat is not free but Centos is, basically the same thing for most part minus the technical support from Redhat and the branding. Centos is the 'community spin' of Redhat.

    You don't need VM to isntall Centos, carve out a small partition may be 6-7 G (probably can do with less, but just be comfortable) and you can easily set up a dual boot with Ubuntu (not pesty like dualbooting Windows) Just don't install any bootloader in the process and when done, boot into Ubuntu to update grub ("sudo update-grub")

    Edit: to install java http://www.if-not-true-then-false.co...-red-hat-rhel/
    Thanks MonkeyBrain,

    I take it that this JAVA link ( http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/insta...buntu-via.html ) only works for Ubuntu and not Centos, correct?

    Does Centos meet the WebEx "Notes" specs at
    ( https://uspto.webex.com/docs/T28L/mc.../xplatform.htm ), see below:

    Notes:

    WebEx will support any Linux distribution as long as it meets the following requirements:


    • Kernel: 2.6 or later
    • X Lib: X11R6 or later compatible
    • C++ Lib: libstdc++ 6
    • Desktop Environment: XFce 4.0 or later, KDE, Ximian, Gnome
    • GDK/GTK+ version: 2.0 or later
    • Glib: 2.0 or later
    • Java 1.6

    Thanks,
    R.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Beans
    2,135

    Re: Ubuntu version compatible with WebEx, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by RMcGinnis View Post
    Thanks MonkeyBrain,

    I take it that this JAVA link ( http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/insta...buntu-via.html ) only works for Ubuntu and not Centos, correct?

    That link works only for Ubuntu obviously as the webupd8 ppa is only for Ubuntu and Centos doesn't use apt-get.

    Does Centos meet the WebEx "Notes" specs at
    ( https://uspto.webex.com/docs/T28L/mc.../xplatform.htm ), see below:

    If Redhat 6 does then Centos 6 does. They are basically the same.

    Edited: To make a live usb for Centos in Ubuntu use unetbootin, the startup disk creator works only for Ubuntu.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; March 18th, 2014 at 07:51 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Beans
    2,135

    Re: Ubuntu version compatible with WebEx, etc.

    BTW, you can install Centos in a usb drive so you don't even need to dual boot. You probably need to do a real install instead of live usb because you need to install packages and may be update kernel etc.. A 8 g usb flash drive partitioned to ext4 would be good enough, when you need it just plug it in and boot from it and you can use it on different computers. Since it is a single purpose installation the performance of flash drive is probably not a factor.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; March 18th, 2014 at 08:17 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •