Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 on Power Book G4

Beans
    Hidden!

Ubuntu 12.04 on Power Book G4

I have an older Mac Power Book G4 I would like to install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on the computer. can I use an .iso file on a thumb drive or do I need a different format? I have read a few links any suggestions for a 'how-to' tutorial? I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 on Power Book G4

I see nothing specific to that model. The first link describes creating a live usb using Mac.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/86/ho...sb-using-a-mac

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I just helped my Uncle get Ubuntu 12.04 on his iBook G3 yesterday and we used http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/1...op-powerpc.iso and burned it to a CD. You then just reboot and hold down C key and it should boot to Ubuntu and then follow the installation steps.

He has 640mb RAM which helps with performance but I would only use one program at a time once it is up as we had issues when he had too many apps open.
    Joe Johnston
    Ubuntu MATE
    "All the best people in life seem to like LINUX." Steve Wozniak

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I used a DVD, Lubuntu 12.04. It's reasonably snappy on a G4. However, I've yet to get wifi working. I confess I haven't spent much time on it, though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moved to apple users.
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Okay then. We're relying on mirror dust and fairies but now we have a plan which is progress - Emma

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PondPuppy View Post
    I used a DVD, Lubuntu 12.04. It's reasonably snappy on a G4. However, I've yet to get wifi working. I confess I haven't spent much time on it, though.
    I intalled Debian and had a bit trouble to install sound and wireless but i did it and it's working fairly good since day one,i wish Ubuntu would be easy like Debian and install everything out of the box but unfortunately it's not, i guess Ubuntu doest care about PPCs.
    Ubuntu has now PPC for in UBUNTU 14.04 beta2, hope they consider an installation as easy as Debian wheezy PPC
    Last edited by frank18; March 31st, 2014 at 08:09 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by panorain View Post
    I have an older Mac Power Book G4 I would like to install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on the computer. can I use an .iso file on a thumb drive or do I need a different format? I have read a few links any suggestions for a 'how-to' tutorial? I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,
    Welcome to the same boat, i also tried to install Ubuntu 12.04 ppc,lubuntu 1310, on a G5 PPC and would not pass log in
    i could never get the desktop.Thought i could install Debian Wheezy 7.1 and desktop out of the box,i kind had to struggle
    a bit to install sound and wireless but i did it, and it's working fairly good since day one,i wish Ubuntu would be as easy as Debian Wheezy PPC and install everything out of the box but unfortunately it's not, i guess Ubuntu doest care about PPCs.
    Ubuntu has now PPC for in UBUNTU 14.04 beta2, hope they consider an installation as easy as Debian wheezy PPC

Beans
    Hidden!

I also noticed that booting from .iso may not be possible on a Mac. I found this 'Magical Machintosh Key Sequences' Website.

http://davespicks.com/writing/progra...keys.html#boot

So it sounds like you pretty much gave up on installing Ubuntu and went with Debian Wheezy then.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by panorain View Post
    I also noticed that booting from .iso may not be possible on a Mac. I found this 'Magical Machintosh Key Sequences' Website.

http://davespicks.com/writing/progra...keys.html#boot

So it sounds like you pretty much gave up on installing Ubuntu and went with Debian Wheezy then.
    Hi panorain; you're right i tried so hard to install Any of the Ubuntu ppc cause i'm a fan of Ubuntu; and the only Distro that i could easy install from a mini ISO was Debian wheezy PPC.My G5 Aple PPC is an IBM 970 ,i added another slot of Ram now i have 1G ram required to run Ubuntu but no avail.Hope someone succeed with Ubuntu 14.04 Beta2 of any kind.

Note> i did not install from inside the Aple OPS i completed erased Aple OPS when installing the Linux PPC,i installed from a mini ISO with INTERNET connection from Debian download site.same way i tried from Ubuntu site with no success.
    Last edited by frank18; March 31st, 2014 at 09:04 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Have you had any success yet installing Adobe flash player on that Mac Mini Debian PPC?
    Last edited by panorain; April 1st, 2014 at 06:08 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast