Thread: Laptop Dead - Thinking of buying Toshiba Satellite C75D - looking for comments

Beans

Laptop Dead - Thinking of buying Toshiba Satellite C75D - looking for comments

My laptop bit the dust so I'm going to buy a new one. I looking at the Toshiba Satellite C75D. Over the life of my old Toshiba, I worked through the issues and had all but one fixed. The only thing that wasn't working was sound out of my external speakers. I have a launchpad bug opened on that and working through it but no progress yet. I looked on the Linux hardware list here: http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/toshiba.html
    but didn't find this model from Toshiba listed. I also did some searching on the web and didn't find much.

I'd be interested in comments from those of you that own this model to see how satisfied you are with how Ubuntu works for you.

Model: Toshiba Satellite C75D-A7102

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Laptop Dead - Thinking of buying Toshiba Satellite C75D - looking for comments

I have a Toshiba satellite-pro/c850/satellite-pro-c850-19w bought in April 2013. It works rather well for me. I can run it with and without UEFI, and dual booting with Windows 8 works for me. (But it is not the same model, so I'm more thinking in terms of compatibility with linux, and less about performance.)

Beans

Re: Laptop Dead - Thinking of buying Toshiba Satellite C75D - looking for comments

Do your external speakers work? This is a rather widespread issue from the searching I have done (and not just Toshibas) and a functionality that I REALLY miss.

Beans
    Hidden!

The only 'external speakers' on my laptop is for the headset, and it is working as it should. I know that sometimes you have to tweak the settings in pavucontrol in order to get things activated as they should, and it can take time to find the correct settings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have 5 Toshiba laptops all running Linux. Everything works out of the box completely. All Laptops are fully Intel based.
    UsingTheTerminal

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans

How new / old are they?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Oldest 3 years. Newest 2 years.
    UsingTheTerminal

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )