Thread: How do I silence the flash-plugin install reminder

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question How do I silence the flash-plugin install reminder

Every time I start up I get a reminder that some software could not be installed. I am going to guess that this is due to a past failure to install the flashplugin. I have two accounts on my machine: 1 for work (which uses a proxy), and 1 for non-proxy Internet access. This is so that I can install things like the flashplugin and have it complete.

I have successfully installed the plugin under my non-proxy account. However, the primary account I use keeps pestering me about the flashplugin install not succeeding.

Is there a way I can silence this reminder? It's inaccurate, annoying, and an aggravating reminder that the flashplugin-installer doesn't play nicely with proxies. (Yes, I've tried every suggestion I can find in these here forums and none work for me. boo...)

Edit with some additional information:
    ---
    The dialog I get is the following:
    * Update Information -- KDE Daemon
    * There are two "?" items on the left: (1) Failure to download extra data files, (2) Data files for some packages could not be downloaded.
    * Text for the first item: "The following packages requested additional data downloads after package installation, but the data could not be downloaded or could not be processed...flashplugin-installer .. The download will be attempted again later, or you can try the download again now. Running this command requires an active Internet connection."
    * Text for the second item: "The following packages requested additional data downloads after package installation, but the data could not be downloaded or could not be processed...flashplugin-installer .. This is a permanent failure that leaves these packages unusable on your system. You may need to fix your Internet connection, then remove and reinstall the packages to fix this problem."
    ---
    Update: Now that I have the exact text to search on... I found this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2134888 . I'll give that a try and see what happens.
    ---
    Update: Well that didn't work. I removed the flashplugin-installer.failed file and then the same dialog started complaining about ttf-mscorefonts-installer. I then removed the ttf-mscorefonts-installer.failed file and now the dialog is complaining about the fonts AND the flash plugin. It's be so super marvy if these installers would play nicely with a proxy.
    ---

Help is appreciated.
    This community is awesome!
    Last edited by arch0njw; March 19th, 2014 at 01:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How do I silence the flash-plugin install reminder

Have you tried installing or reinstalling the 'kubuntu-restricted-extras' package accepting the defaults for any pop up questions that appear.

IMH(umble)O using a proxy connection should not make any difference to this installation.

Beans
    Distro

I tried reinstalling the kubuntu-restricted-extras package with no difference. I followed the suggested steps at the following thread, and the msft fonts installed as did the adobe plugin.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2134888

Maybe THIS is the end of these silly messages...! ...?
    P5W-DH, E6750, Patriot Viper 4x2GB 1066, Seasonic M12 500w
    Creative Audigy, EVGA GTX 460, HP 2509m
    Kubuntu 12.04 64-bit (KDE 4.8.1)

Beans

This was driving me insane. I purged flashplugin-installer, I installed adobe-flashplugin. I deleted the file in var. And still the notification came up every frick'n time I logged into my !@#$ account. ARRRGH!

So I resorted to a little sys-admin snooping:

sudo su
    cd /var
    grep -r 'flashplugin-installer' *

# and later to revert to normal user...
    exit;
    This shows a surprising number of files. I found a couple that looked highly suspect and removed them:

sudo \
    rm lib/update-notifier/user.d/data-downloads-failed-permanently \
    lib/update-notifier/user.d/data-downloads-failed

And praise the Lord almighty, the !@#$ PITA stoopid message went the *redacted* away. Out, damn spot!

I hope others find this useful.
    Last edited by z_mikowski; June 22nd, 2014 at 10:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs up Re: How do I silence the flash-plugin install reminder

Quote Originally Posted by z_mikowski View Post

cd /var
    sudo \
    rm lib/update-notifier/user.d/data-downloads-failed-permanently \
    lib/update-notifier/user.d/data-downloads-failed
    EH MAH GAD
    EH MAH GAWD
    EH MAH GOD
    OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

You are my facking hero today!!!

This totally worked. HOOOORAAAAAAAAYYYY!!!!!!!
    P5W-DH, E6750, Patriot Viper 4x2GB 1066, Seasonic M12 500w
    Creative Audigy, EVGA GTX 460, HP 2509m
    Kubuntu 12.04 64-bit (KDE 4.8.1)