Thread: Custom Kernel on a VMWare machine ( /dev/mapper/xxx does not exist )

Beans

Question Custom Kernel on a VMWare machine ( /dev/mapper/xxx does not exist )

Hey ,
    I've got a 12.04 Ubunutu machine , and I'm having issues when trying to update to a 3.12.13 Kernel...
    For some reason whenever I use the 3.12.1 Kernel version , It works just fine , but 3.12.13 is giving me some serious issues...

It says :

Code:
    Gave up waiting for root device.  Common problems:
     - Boot args ( cat /proc/cmdline)
        - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
        - Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
     - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
    ALERT! /dev/mapper/xxxxx-root does not exist. Dropping to a shell!
    And the weird thing is that It claims the file /dev/mapper/xxxxx-root does not exist, and when I try booting to my older kernel ( 3.5.x )
    It works without any errors... ( I've tried searching for /dev/sdaX and I couldn't find them there either )

I've updated lvm2 and cryptsetup ( even though I've got nothing encrypted , just to make sure...) but I didn't get any progress...

I remember I used to have that kind of problem but the fix to it was to re-run the boot.<service_name> file right after the system boots, since It ran in a wrong order....

Is there anything I can do - Or should I just return to 3.12.1 ( or even go in the opposite direction ? )

Note : The machine sits in a network that has no internet connection , thus downloading and inserting new packages and installations could be a little rough...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Custom Kernel on a VMWare machine ( /dev/mapper/xxx does not exist )

Duplicate of http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2211659

Please do not post duplicate threads in different parts of the forum.

Thread closed.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.