Thread: Desktop not loading...

Beans

Desktop not loading...

Not been able to get to the desktop for a few days.
    After signing in, I just get the background and nothing else happens. It's the same thing on two different user accounts.
    Anyone else have this?

Beans

Re: Desktop not loading...

What are you trying to run is it just for Unity or are you checking with other desktop environments as well

With Unity a few weeks back now I had a similar problem.

But I could go into other desktops ok ( Kde - Lxde - Fallback )

Beans

Yes its just unity. It is basically a default Ubuntu installation with just a few apps added.
    I did try installing Ubuntu desktop last night and it did bring a fair few things in so I'm thinking maybe I haven't been paying attention and something was removed during updates but its still not working.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

On of the easiest ways is to check into /var/log/apt/ to see what might had been removed during upgrades...
    Also check /var/log/Xorg*.log files to see what warnings and erros You get while DM/WM is starting...

Beans

The apt logs point to a few items that were removed during an upgrade but they are the same items that were installed alongside ubuntu-desktop last night and I have checked each removed item and it says each on is already installed.

Xorg logs are showing no apparent errors.
    Strange thing is I tried loggin into guest mode and the desktop has appeared as normal but just won't show up on the two "proper" user accounts...

Beans

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    I'm unable to download the deb, in console mode thing at the moment and wget gives me an unknown host error for the deb download.
    The dconf rest just gives me a long error.

Also, since that guest login, any attempt at logging in as guest since is giving me the same problems as other users.