Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: when will Ubuntu 14.04 start nighlty building an Alternate CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: when will Ubuntu 14.04 start nighlty building an Alternate CD

I think the Lubuntu desktop package is called "lubuntu-desktop" and doing a `sudo apt-get remove lubuntu-desktop`
    will only remove that one package. So that's good to know.

In either case, I don't want to create a customized installation of Lubuntu with Ubuntu desktop on top of that.
    In case I run into issues that are related to that, I would be wasting my and others time tracking down the source of problems.

I will give up here, something I don't particularly like doing, and just assume that my machine setup, which
    I didn't think was that complicated (or I should say, out of the norm), evidently, is way too complicated for the
    Ubuntu LiveCD and for the Mini.iso to comprehend.
    I'm not totally sure about the Mini.iso, but the Ubuntu Live CD can't disect a pre-existing machine
    with RAID-1, and an Encrypted LVM.

I will just get used to the Lubuntu setup which seems perfectly fine to me, and install the apps that are missing,
    like the LibreOffice suite, Thunderbird, the terminal windows that come with Ubuntu, etc.

I will also pray that the Lubuntu team not discontinue their Alternate install in 2016 when I come out of my cave
    again, to upgrade/build machines with that LTS version.

Thanks for reading this thread and helping me out.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by gmoore777 View Post
    I have not tried the mini.iso yet, but i was reading some documentation about the "debian-installer" which, I think, the
    mini.iso uses.
    It says:
    "Limitations: Although most questions used by debian-installer can be preseeded using this method, there are some notable exceptions. You must (re)partition an entire disk or use available free space on a disk; it is not possible to use existing partitions. "
    I have used the mini.iso and reused existing partitions.
    That is what I want to do. I want to install my Nth Linux installation on existing partitions on a machine that has already been configured with RAID-1, and an Encrypted LVM volume.
    So if that "Limitation" applies to the mini.iso, then the mini.iso is not a solution for me.

Ian_Worrall's suggestion of `sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop` seems reasonable on paper.
    Would the "clobbering" of the Lubuntu desktop with the "ubuntu-desktop" behave?
    Could I remove the Lubuntu desktop package (not sure what the name of it is), or would it have a chain of dependencies
    that would in fact remove every package on the machine?
    Well, having double sets of some programs clobbers the menus / the dash, but it is not a big problems. Things work. It is not straight-forward to remove the Lubuntu part of it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by gmoore777 View Post
    I think the Lubuntu desktop package is called "lubuntu-desktop" and doing a `sudo apt-get remove lubuntu-desktop`
    will only remove that one package. So that's good to know.

In either case, I don't want to create a customized installation of Lubuntu with Ubuntu desktop on top of that.
    In case I run into issues that are related to that, I would be wasting my and others time tracking down the source of problems.

I will give up here, something I don't particularly like doing, and just assume that my machine setup, which
    I didn't think was that complicated (or I should say, out of the norm), evidently, is way too complicated for the
    Ubuntu LiveCD and for the Mini.iso to comprehend.
    I'm not totally sure about the Mini.iso, but the Ubuntu Live CD can't disect a pre-existing machine
    with RAID-1, and an Encrypted LVM.

I will just get used to the Lubuntu setup which seems perfectly fine to me, and install the apps that are missing,
    like the LibreOffice suite, Thunderbird, the terminal windows that come with Ubuntu, etc.

I will also pray that the Lubuntu team not discontinue their Alternate install in 2016 when I come out of my cave
    again, to upgrade/build machines with that LTS version.

Thanks for reading this thread and helping me out.
    The Lubuntu team wants to keep the alternate iso installer. But how long will we be successful? We don't know if it will survice into the next-next LTS release, 16.06, 'X X'. Maybe you will help make it possible

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Short Story:
    The mini.iso behaves exactly like the Alternate install
    in regards to understanding RAID, Encryption and LVM.
    I'm very, very happy that this mini.iso exists in light that the Alternate
    install is (or has been) disappearing.

Longer Story:

I started from scratch with the TrustyTahr Lubuntu Alternate Install and re-carved my machine
    with RAID, and Encrypted LVM, creating extra partitions/volumes for future installs and manipulations.
    (In hindsight, I probably could have used the mini.iso, but wanted to do this with the Alternate install due to my
    comfort level with that install.)

I then downloaded and burned a CD with the mini.iso and booted off of that.
    Lo and behold, that little guy, looks very similar to the "Alternate" install.
    It did recognize my RAID devices, but not the Encrypted LVM. After choosing
    --> Configure encrypted volumes --> Activate existing encrypted volumes -->
    the mini.iso recognized my Encrypted volume and all my LVM volumes.
    I then installed the (regular) Ubuntu Desktop from the very long interesting software list,
    into an existing LVM volume, with /boot in an existing regular partition.
    (I could have created new partitions/volumes, but that isn't the way I
    wanted to do this install.)
    In other words, the mini.iso behaves exactly like the Alternate install
    in regards to understanding RAID, Encryption and LVM.

This is how one machine is carved out.
    The 2 1-TB Hard Drives are in a software RAID-1 configuration(partition to partition):

6 GB /boot partition. RAID-1. NOT encrypted. No LVM. (may hold other .iso's for booting)
    2 GB /boot partition. RAID-1. NOT encrypted. No LVM. (for installations in the encrypted LVM area)
    2 GB /boot partition. RAID-1. NOT encrypted. No LVM. (for installations in the encrypted LVM area)
    X GB Extended partition
    40 GB spare partition. RAID-1. NOT encrypted. No LVM. (for full installations)
    866 GB Encrypted, RAID-1, LVM physical partition.
    100 GB LVM Volume for TrustyTahr Ubuntu, <-- installed via Mini.iso
    200 GB LVM Volume for Backups, <-- mounted as: /forBackups
    20 GB LVM Volume for TrustyTahr Lubuntu, <-- this Alternate install carved everything out, initially.
    20 GB LVM Volume for PrecisePangolin,
    20 GB LVM Volume for MythUbuntu,
    20 GB LVM Volume for Xen,
    500 GB LVM Unallocated

Thanks for everyone's input, and the people who maintain both the
    Lubuntu Alternate install and the little, but overly capable, mini.iso.

Beans

I tried the mini.iso, but my company uses a preseed template to answer the questions about what packages/software to install. How can we combine that in/with the mini.iso?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

This sub-forum is for the discussion of the current development version, now 14.10. 14.04 has now been released. If anyone needs support for 14.04, please start a thread in one the regular support sections of the forum.

Thread closed.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12