Thread: Buzzing sound on an LED monitor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Buzzing sound on an LED monitor

So here's the situation. I've recently bought an Intel NUC box, DC32171YE to be exact. I originally had different intentions towards its usage but I finally decided to make it my primary desktop machine. So I've bought a PHILIPS 274E 27 inch LED display and wow... amazing. So far I haven't been using such a large screen, and it's... awesome And the whole setup is so compact, I've mounted the NUC on the back of the monitor as Intel sells the NUCs with the so called VESA bracket.
    Ubuntu has been running great an everything has been working out of the box so far. It's cool that I could use the embedded speakers in the monitor, and I only need an HDMI cable from the NUC.
    The only downside I'v noticed as noted on the title is... a strange buzzing sound from the monitor! It's almost not noticeable when I listen to a music, and at certain brightness and contrast settings I can hear it all the time. Now the brightness and contrast are set so that there's not buzzing sound. But still when the image on the display is mostly dark and intense, I can still hear it!

Have you guys experienced something like this? Like I mentioned, the monitor has build in speakers... could it be that there's an interference from the monitor circuity to the speakers, or it's something in the monitor itself failing?
    The good part is that I've just bought the monitor, and it's still under warranty. It's a kind of a rethorical question I guess... but should I ask for a replacement? It may sound as an odd... but when I don't listen to any music and just reading, it could get quite annoying.
    Registered Linux User #534948

Beans

Re: Buzzing sound on an LED monitor

I have an hp 5300 series connected to a visio 48" flat screen witht he sound run thru my panasonic stereo for surround sound. at times i also get the buzz. its only noticable if the system is idle.
    as all three components are with in a couple feet I put it down as EMI and just mute the sound.

I can also tell when someone is using a cell phone close around or when we are going to get a call or tet from a buzz in our laptop speakers
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Muting the sound does not help in my case. I've tested it several times. There are just combinations of brightness and contrast, and... intense contrast images on the screen that make this buzz. Quite annoying actually. Next week I'll have to go to the retailer which i don't want to do as probably they'll take the monitor for a month before I get any results...

Beans

I have had problems with buzzing speakers on a couple of monitors and tvs with built in speakers. Usually it is another electronic device giving off radio interference. You could try moving things around and see if it changes. I would try taking that NUC box off the back of the monitor first. Also, If there is a built in microphone, try unplugging it.
    If the problem is inside the monitor itself, then I would guess a filter capacitor is no good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Finally, I've got my monitor back from a repair. It has been a long wait. I think that they've changed the power supply. But now it's obvious that it does not make that buzzing sound anymore.
    I have to check the brightness and contrast settings though... as it seems the monitor refuses to remember low brightness. Or maybe I'm doing it wrong. Anyway, regarding the buzzing sound, the case is closed - faulty monitor, repaired.