Thread: Shrink my / partition

Beans

Shrink my / partition

I already have Ubuntu 14.04 installed on my laptop, but would it be safe to shrink it about 10gb if the vast majority of it is empty space? My drive only has two partitions right now:

/dev/sda1 mount point /
    /dev/sda2 swap

Beans

Re: Shrink my / partition

Yes - usually not a problem ........ always make a backup of important data though ..... as if anything should go wrong while partitioning
    power goes off or battery goes dead on a laptop .... etc ...... things will get messed up ..........

But .....

I do it regular and have quite a few partitions ......... often need to change things to grow or shrink partitions to suit situations that arise.

Beans

Probably would be OK -- but run "sudo fdisk -lu" (lowercase L, not a one) in a terminal to list out your partitions.

Also, you would have to boot using a CD or USB and run Gparted from there, as you can't modify a partition while its mounted.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Screenshot from 2014-03-16 16:07:31.jpg

I want to partiton the 465gb and take out 100gb from it and create a seperate partition is it possible..? without messing up my ubuntu. It is the only OS installed

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by manngaurav View Post
    Screenshot from 2014-03-16 16:07:31.jpg

I want to partiton the 465gb and take out 100gb from it and create a seperate partition is it possible..? without messing up my ubuntu. It is the only OS installed
    Please start your own thread. It becomes very confusing when more than one problem is being addressed in the same thread and for different posters.

Beans

I posted it here because it seems to me the same problem that I am having , so there is no point in wasting others time by creating a same thread . Sorry ,

Beans

so there is no point in wasting others time by creating a same thread
    It's not a matter of wasting or saving time; it's a matter that two problems, although similar, are likely to require some differences in the details of their solutions. And, combing those problems and solutions in one thread creates unnecessary confusion for all concerned.