Thread: Firefox crashes for no reason - can't be (re)installed

Beans

Firefox crashes for no reason - can't be (re)installed

Kubuntu 13.10 . New computer. Just installed. And then edited firefox thru preferences (and about:config). Firefox runs, and while browsing , suddenly crashes. So I removed firefox. Now can't install it back. ........ (Such problems didn't exist in the past. All bugs are brandnew. )
    Last edited by bjngchn; March 15th, 2014 at 06:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Firefox crashes for no reason - can't be (re)installed

We need log of your terminal.

what you have done ? what it gave you back. Everything we need.

try to launch firefox from terminal with " firefox " so that It can generate some information that we can use for debugging.

Thank you.
    Raja

రాజ శేఖర్ రెడ్డి

Beans

It was removed, and so after typing firefox I get 'firefox not installed, ..install it with sudo apt-get install firefox". I type this, and get: Reading package lists..Done. Building dependency tree ... 50% . It freezes at this stage. if I try "sudo apt-get install --reinstall firefox", instead; result is the same.....This is happening after reboot. Before this, there were dpkg related errors. Subprocess etc. ........... { I interpret the whole thing as: Obey or die. Let us collect your data, send it to facebook, or whereever, if you try to prevent this you will be punished. } .. Anyway there must be an easy way to reinstall something as simple as firefox. Or should I try to install , say, firefox3.0 instead, and maybe it will work then? In the past I would download firefox from internet directly. Now, everything mixed with eachother unnecessarily, to make them unmodifiable(?)
    Last edited by bjngchn; March 15th, 2014 at 07:35 PM.

Beans

Tried commands found on internet and firefox could be installed successfully. Still there are problems coming from preferences, but newly created users don't have the same problem. Anyway relationship between ubuntu and firefox resembles to one between windows and internet explorer. They are hard to separate, if separated firefox or both firefox and ubuntu won't work.

Beans

Last edited by bjngchn; March 30th, 2014 at 09:23 AM. Reason: wrong thread