Thread: Xubuntu focus behaviour broken?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Xubuntu focus behaviour broken?

Either they've broken the focus behaviour, or I've lost a setting somewhere.
    For years, I have been set up so that although clicking a window (anywhere in the window) gives it focus and raises it, using the scrollwheel scrolls whichever window it's over without giving it focus. I installed 14.10 and don't seem to be able to configure this behaviour any more. If I select "Raise on click" in the settings , then the scrollwheel also focuses and raises the window. I want "raise on click" but not "raise on scroll".

Have they changed the way XFCE works, or am I missing a setting somewhere? Can anyone point me to where I can configure this, please.
    Last edited by The Cog; March 15th, 2014 at 12:27 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Xubuntu focus behaviour broken?

I wonder if that is a function in xfce-4.10. I am using Xubuntu 12.04 but use the ppa for xfce-4.10, and my system does what yours is doing, ie scrolling in a background window also focuses the window.

I can't remember what xfce-4.8 used to do.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Try unchecking the "Raise windows when any mouse button is pressed" setting in Window Manager Tweaks -> Accessibility.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post
    Try unchecking the "Raise windows when any mouse button is pressed" setting in Window Manager Tweaks -> Accessibility.
    Aaah! Thank you so much, Toz. That was it.
    It feels so much more comfortable now - like an old shoe.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Not sure I'm following - but does unchecking Raise on Focus in Window Manager do what you want. I can scroll hexchat/firefox underneath settings manager with that disabled.

ninja'd by the cog
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here

Beans
    Distro

No, raise on focus seems to be something different though I'm not sure what.
    Scrolling a large reference doc (e.g. a maximised web page) behind a smaller window where I'm trying things out is indeed the way I like to work.

Beans
    Hidden!

I did not even realise how useful it could be to scroll a background document and keep, for example, a dialogue box focused in the foreground.

Thanks for the tweak.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    I did not even realise how useful it could be to scroll a background document and keep, for example, a dialogue box focused in the foreground.

Thanks for the tweak.
    +1 and Thanks
    UsingTheTerminal

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans
    Hidden!

This "feature" is one of the things I always miss when I have to use Windows...

Come shoot the breeze with us on the Ubuntu Forums IRC channel - #ubuntuforums