Thread: Ubuntu as file server for Mac and PC in AD environment

Beans

Lightbulb Ubuntu as file server for Mac and PC in AD environment

I wanted to create a storage set up for user data for a environment where Macs and PCs are mixed in an Active Directory structure. OS X doesn't yet have a very good implementation of SMB (samba) and performance is down quite a bit there. So I wanted a solution that would provide both APF and SMB for the same data (users might want to access their data from a Mac one day and a PC the next). There are solutions that do this, for example FreeNAS, but I wanted to give a "real" server a shot.
    I have found several HowTo-s on how to set up either SMB/Samba, connect to Active Directory or setting up Netatalk/AFP (most of the latter aims at setting up a Time Machine server). But none that combines them, at least not for recent versions.

Along the way I took notes on how to do it (so I could replicate things) - and why not publish that as a how-to. (And perhaps get some feedback as well).

My set up was done in a test bed on a Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V VM with dynamic memory allocation starting at 512Mb and modest CPU resources.
    When done - the windows clients get about the same file transfer performance as to a Windows can, but the Mac's went from a throughput of about 120 mbps to Windows (SMB) shares to about 800 mbps to the Netatalk (AFP) shares (on a Gbit LAN). A pretty good performance increase. And everything is accessed with Active Directory SSO.

Now, I don't have any long time data on stability, no in-depth security evaluation or any experience on how the solution scales. That's where feedback would be interesting…

Enough said. Here is the how-to on how to set up an Ubuntu 13.04 Server as a file server for SMB and AFP using AD SSO. It is more or less cut-n-paste and once the server is installed the procedure should not take more than 30 mins.

---
    Active directory integration

1. Install Ubuntu 13.04. Standard installation, EXT4 file system (not LVM) and SAMBA file server as the only package when given choices for LAMP etc.

2. Set up networking. I prefer to use a static IP (it might work with DHCP as well, but that is not best practice for a server).

$> nano /etc/network/interfaces

#Loopback
    /etc/network/interfaces like this:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

#Primary NIC
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 10.0.1.55
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 10.0.1.1
    network 10.0.1.0
    broadcast 10.0.1.255
    dns-nameservers 10.0.1.2 10.0.1.3

#Search domain equals AD domain long name
    dns-search demo.org

Restart the network service.
    $> service networking restart

And as a precaution, for some reason Windows does not always handle a linux server going from DHCP to static well - so I prefer to manually remove the DHCP lease from the DHCP server in order not to confuse the DNS. (Supposing windows handles DHCP and since this is for AD integration you will have a windows DNS)

3. To make administration easier - install SSH-server

$> sudo apt-get install openssh-server

4. To make life easier still - since you will be installing and configuring and need root access, make yourself root for the session:

$> sudo su

5. Now it is time to join the domain. Use Beyond trust's PowerBroker Identity services (pbis, a newer version of likewise open) this can be found and downloaded as open source at www.beyondtrust.com. (You will have to provide your email, but it is free except for that.)

I find it easiest to do this via a GUI-browser and save the file to a network share that is accessible from the Ubuntu server. Since I only have windows shares, I use the following to transfer the file to Ubuntu:

Create directory to mount in:
    $> mkdir /mnt/win_share

Mount the windows share
    $> mount.cifs //[windows server]/[share name] /mnt/win_share -o user=[AD user with permissions to the share]

Create directory for the pbis files
    $> mkdir /usr/pbis

And copy the installation file:
    $> cp /mnt/win_share/pbis-open-… /usr/pbis

6. Install phis according to the documentation:

pbis conflicts with winbind, that is installed by default - so we'll have to un-install that:

$> apt-get remove winbind

Make the install script executable

$> chmod a+x pbis-open-…

and run the script

$> ./pbis-open-…

7. Now you are ready to join the domain:

$> /opt/pbis/bin/domainjoin-cli join [domainName] [account with permission to join]

And reboot the Ubuntu server

Then validate by logging in with [domain]\\[user]
    (You will have to escape the backslash separator with another backslash, so for the domain DEMO with user john.doe on the server Skywalker, an ssh login will be ssh DEMO\\john.doe@skywalker)

8. You are now connected, but a few things make life much easier.

Start by loging out and back in with your "native" linux user to get sudo rights.

By default obis does not use bash shell. In order to configure that:

$> /opt/pbis/bin/config LoginShellTemplate /bin/bash

And if you are in a single domain env. set default domain to not have to provide the domain name all the time

$> /opt/pbis/bin/config AssumeDefaultDomain 1

Then to get sudo access for your domain users:

Edit the sudoers with
    $> sudo visudo

To give all domain users sudo rights enter these line:

#For all domain users with DOMAIN-name provided
    %[Your domain]\\domain^users ALL=(ALL) ALL

#For all domain users with default domain login
    %domain^users ALL=(ALL) ALL

(For a single use, omit the % and change domain^users to your user name.

domain^users is the AD group and can be any group. You can view available groups by
    $> /opt/pbis/bin/enum-groups)

Save and restart sudo
    $> /etc/init.d/sudo restart

Now you can log in as domain user without providing [DOMAIN]\\, will be granted sudo rights and will have bash as shell.

Time to get the file servers running:

SAMBA for starters

(Be sure to make yourself root or use sudo for each step)

For an AD-domain named DEMO.ORG and the ubuntu server Skywalker with a directory ./share that you want to share with all domain users, do this:

Create the dir:
    $> mkdir /share
    $> chmod a+rx /share
    $> chown [For example a domain administrator] /share (i.e. chown administrator /share)

1. Delete the default configuration file
    $> rm /etc/samba/smb.conf

And make a new one:
    $> nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

That looks like this

[global]
    security = ADS
    workgroup = DEMO
    realm = SKYWALKER.DEMO.ORG

#Required for pbis:
    machine password timeout = 0

[ubuntu_share]
    comment = My share
    path = /share
    read only = no
    valid users = @DEMO\domain^users
    create mote = 0777
    directory mode = 0777
    writeable = yes
    guest ok = no

Don't forget the machine password setting that is required by pbis-samba integration!!!

2. Then you will have to run the obis interoperability installer to fix things up with pbis/samba integration

$> /opt/pbis/bin/samba-interop-install --install

3. And restart the samba service

$> service smbd restart

Now you should be able to access the samba share from a windows or mac computer in the domain.

Google for samba documentation in order to do other stuff with your SMB shares...

And now for AFP

(Be sure to make yourself root or use sudo for each step)

At the time of writing - ubuntu does not have apt packages for netatalk version 3. - much preferable to version 2 - so we will have to compile for ourselves:

1. First install git
    $> apt-get install git

2. Create a dir for the source files

$> mkdir /usr/source
    $> cd /usr/source

3. And download the files with git:
    $> git clone git://git.code.sf.net/p/netatalk/code netatalk-code
    (This takes some time)

4. Now you need a few more packages to compile

$> apt-get install autoconf libtool automake pkg-config make build-essential

5. And the following packages are required for all options (except ACL and Kerberos - even though AD is a Kerberos implementation, pbis makes PAM use sufficient) with netatalk. This requires a bit more disk than is absolutely necessary, but better safe than sorry if you want to change your setup later on:

$> apt-get install libssl-dev libgcrypt11-dev libdb-dev libpam0g-dev libwrap0-dev libavahi-client-dev libldap2-dev libcrack2-dev systemtap-sdt-dev libdbus-1-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev libglib2.0-dev libevent-dev

6. We will also want the server to be announced via Bonjour (avahi) so:

$> apt-get install avahi-daemon

7. And we are ready to make and install

Go to the netatalk-code dir

$> cd /usr/source/netatalk-code/

8. Prepare scripts by

$> ./bootstrap

9. And configure the build

$> ./configure \
    --with-init-style=debian \
    --with-cracklib \
    --without-libevent \
    --with-pam-confdir=/etc/pam.d \
    --with-dbus-sysconf-dir=/etc/dbus-1/system.d

Successful completion gives something like this:
    Configure summary:
    INIT STYLE:
    debian
    AFP:
    Extended Attributes: ad | sys
    ACL support: no
    CNID:
    backends: dbd last tdb
    UAMS:
    DHX (PAM SHADOW)
    DHX2 (PAM SHADOW)
    RANDNUM (afppasswd)
    Kerberos V
    clrtxt (PAM SHADOW)
    Options:
    Zeroconf support: yes
    tcp wrapper support: yes
    quota support: yes
    admin group support: yes
    valid shell check: yes
    cracklib support: yes
    ACL support: no
    Kerberos support: auto
    LDAP support: yes
    dbus support: yes
    dtrace probes: yes
    Paths:
    Netatalk lockfile: /var/lock/netatalk
    init directory: /etc/init.d
    dbus system directory: /etc/dbus-1/system.d
    pam config directory: /etc/pam.d

10. You are now ready to compile

$> make

and finally

$> make install

That's about it...
    11. What remains is configuring netatalk. That is done in /usr/local/etc/afp.conf

Here is a minimal example - that works well.
    ;
    ; Netatalk 3.x configuration file
    ;

[Global]
    mimic model = Xserve3,1

[my_share]
    path = /share
    valid users = @domain^users

In this case the directory /share (directly under root) is shared for all domain users. (And it is the very same directory we set unto share over SMB perviously) You can of course set individual users (valid users = john.doe) or fully open shares (omit the valid users). The mimic model in global settings makes your netatalk server appear as an Xserve in Finder (you can change this to for example iMac, MacMini, iPhone, etc.).

12. Restart services…

$> service netatalk restart
    $> service avahi-daemon restart

Done! Happy fileshareing

Beans

Confused by the Windows Server part ...

I became a little bit confused by the bit where you stated that you did this on a Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V VM.
    • Is this simply some virtual machine from a cloud supplier?
    • Did you install Ubuntu as a VM on top of Windows, or the other way around?
    • What does this post has to do with Windows server?

I am hoping this is actually just a post on setting up a Samba server

When that is cleared up, I have some network questions regarding performance. I was thinking of setting up a similar setup, and after browsing lots of Stack Overflow threads it seems like there is a general consensus that Samba is a lot slower than the competing SMB implementations on Windows Server. Typically reaching 50-60 MB/s on the same hardware a Windows server reaches 110MB/s (essentially maxing the Gbit line). You seem to have got good performance, but you only state numbers for the AFP share (800Mbit ~ 100MB/s). What was the performance for SMB?

Beans

Re: Confused by the Windows Server part ...

Hi, to answer your questions from bottom up:
    It doesn't have much to to with Windows server at all - but Windows server is my virtualization platform. The server is located in my basement and is not a cloud service. And I installed Ubuntu as a VM "on top" of Windows, yes.
    I haven't measured SMB-performance, but it is not terribly slow - that's about all I can say.
    The point of my set up is to have SMB and AFP working in parallell and simultaneously on the same share. Since OSX using SMB is terribly slow...