Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: change desk top

Beans

change desk top

OS Edubuntu 12.04
    I followed instructions on how to change my desktop. Having tried it I want to try others, but the instructions don't work now. It brings up a different window. The current desk top is xfce. There is no "system settings" entry in the menu.Can anyone help me unjam things?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: change desk top

Which instructions did you follow ? Could you please give a link or detailed instructions ? Thanks.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests by PM, thanks |

Beans

link of the instructions please ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Usually with xfce you just right click and you will see desktop settings

Beans

The instructions were verbal. I wrote down the instructions : right click on desktop . In window select "change desktop" and click, scroll through options and click on your choice (in this case lxde).
    The trouble is in lxde the right click takes you to a slightly different window that fails to give the option "change desktop" it only give options to adjust lxde. I want to try another desktop , not be confined to lxde.
    The OS is edubuntu 12.04.1
    Last edited by jaxom98; March 16th, 2014 at 09:21 AM. Reason: forgot last line

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Do not you have the options to choose from at login ?
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests by PM, thanks |

Beans

i think that the "options" that bapoumba refers to can be found by clicking on the little logo just above and to the right of where you enter your password. (Do this before entering pw)

Edit: BTW, are you interested in the desktop similar to the one that was in 10.04 (I think it is called Gnome 2)? If so, I can find and supply the code.
    I'm old, in the way, and still a noob, but want to learn and trying, so replies in "A-B-C" with code/specifics are appreciated. Most of my posts are in the Absolute Beginners Forum, so please advise me as the beginner that I am. Many thanks.

Beans

Excuse the delay replying, work went crazy.
    Odyssey1942, that is exactly the info that I needed.The "footprint" logo meant nothing to me, so I never tried it. Unstuck and merrily experimenting . Many thanks.
    bapoumba, until I read Odyssey1942 I didn't understand what you meant. thank you for your time

Beans

Try this (has worked for me on 5 different computers) in terminal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
    You will then need to restart. When the login screen comes up, click on the little logo top right above the pw box, choose something like ("use gnome desktop", sorry cannot remember exactly, but you can try all the options to see which works best for you.) Then enter password, etc.

If this does not work, post here. If I do not answer, PM me.
    Last edited by Odyssey1942; March 20th, 2014 at 11:24 PM.
    I'm old, in the way, and still a noob, but want to learn and trying, so replies in "A-B-C" with code/specifics are appreciated. Most of my posts are in the Absolute Beginners Forum, so please advise me as the beginner that I am. Many thanks.

Beans

"sudo" instruction did not install, as current Gnome is already installed.
    I have made a note of the sudo instruction for future referance.
    As it turns out gnome works best for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast