Thread: can't print from command line

Beans

can't print from command line

I've recently installed Lubuntu 3.10 on a Dell desktop with a pentium D and 2GB RAM.

I've installed cups and have configured a network printer (Dell 3100cn) through the browser using localhost:631. I can print pdf files from Firefox. If I type lpstat -t, I get confirmation that the printer is installed, but if I type lpq -Pnameofprinter it says that the printer is unknown. I sent some files - both plain text and pdf - to the printer using lpr, and they are in the queue, as confirmed by lpq -Pnameofprinter.

Any clues as to how I can solve this?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: can't print from command line

i can reproduce your issue. But no luck in resolving the issue.

can you print from file --> menu.

Probebly if you solve that, it automatically solves from command line.

Let me know if you want me to keep looking or you solved the issue.

Beans

smuthavarapu, Thanks for taking the time to help me!

I've installed cups-bsd and that seems to have solved some of the issues I report above. I've installed other packages in the meanwhile, so I cannot say for sure that this was the one that did it, but I'm pretty sure it was.

Now the problem that I have is that the pdf files come out of the printer about the size of a stamp. Not if I send them to the printer from Firefox, but it happens if I send them from the command line or from emacs, say. Any remedies for that?

Cheers!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rmbp View Post
    Now the problem that I have is that the pdf files come out of the printer about the size of a stamp. Not if I send them to the printer from Firefox, but it happens if I send them from the command line or from emacs, say. Any remedies for that?
    Somehow the default number of pages per sheet is set at 16! Typing "gksudosystem-config-printer" allows one to change that (Printer>Properties>Job options)