Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replace Windows 7 with Ubuntu

Re: Replace Windows 7 with Ubuntu

You do make a very good point about being off topic, is has gone on a bit of a tangent. In all honesty, I just want to get the most out of my drive to avoid making it cramped. I might have a nosey around the interwebs for more information regarding the files out in the free space, see if theres anything else I can find on the topic. On that note. I will pose one last question.

Will these troublesome files affect the drive in any way, when I shrink it? I.E - Because of their position, will this give me less space to shrink the volume by, therefore providing me with a smaller space with which to install Ubuntu?

It says something about not being able to shrink beyond unmoveable files? The meaning I get from this, is that I can only shrink from the end of the drive (bottom right in the image) to the first block of unmoveable files (going left, back from the bottom right and up following the same pattern, until I reach the first block of unmoveable file clusters)

If this IS the case, then it leaves me a much smaller area to install Ubuntu than I would neccessarily like :/

If it wasn't for this, I would already have shrunk the drive and installed Ubuntu... Instead, I'm hung up on trying to optimize my drive space as much as possible :/

~Matt

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by fluctuatinganomaly View Post
    I have Just performed another format and reinstall, and have come to the conclusion that the safe mode issue was because I was using a trial version of windows 7 (perhaps, its the only conclusion I can come to) any ways, I have used a different disk this time, and safe mode seems to work fine.
    wait! what?

you reisntaleld windows 7? then why didn't you just "shrink the drive" on reinstall or create empty disk space when you formatted the drive ?

Will these troublesome files affect the drive in any way, when I shrink it? I.E - Because of their position, will this give me less space to shrink the volume by, therefore providing me with a smaller space with which to install Ubuntu?
    hard to say. they may or may not affect. depends what they are. if they are system files that are not recreated on reboot then it will afftect the OS. if they are just some service that was running there will be nothign bad if you moved them.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    then why didn't you just "shrink the drive" on reinstall or create empty disk space when you formatted the drive ?
    I'll be honest, in my annoyance at having to reinstall again (despite it being my own fault) I never even considered the fact, I just kinda rushed through the install.

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    if they are system files that are not recreated on reboot then it will afftect the OS. if they are just some service that was running there will be nothign bad if you moved them.
    This makes sense, but I'm pretty sure they are some form of system file. I have ran the reformat on boot, hoping to clear some, to no avail. I have also ran it in safe mode 2 - 3 times with no improvement. My conclusion is that, due to using the system for a long time, the drive has filled up and the MFT has expanded into the available space, AFTER other files, and as such, has fragmented that part of the drive and rendered it unmoveable.

If this is the case, I'm not entirely sure shrinking on reinstall / formatting the drive would prove much different? seeing as doing so any way hasn't removed the MFT from its location. Surely, if shrinking the drive on format, removed the unmoveable files , then formatting and reinstalling a fresh instance of win 7 would also remove the old MFT files, ready for a brand new fresh install?

Honestly, I think my only option in this case is to proceed with shrinking the drive and intsalling on the space made available.... Unless of course, any one has any more information or other suggestions withing the next few hours....

~Matt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi there.
    At this point what would you lose by doing another fresh Win 7 install?

I suggest you fire up your Ubuntu Live medium, fire up GParted, delete all the partitions from your HDD, then split the unallocated space into the 2(?) partitons you want for your 2 OSs.
    Do your Win 7 install into one (the first) of them - what does it take these days? About 30 mins? (Not including the HUUUUGE number of updates, of course).
    Then, do your Ubuntu install into the other.

I think it may even be possible to format your partitions to the file systems you want prior to installing using GParted.

This all assumes you are not using UEFI or GPT. That's a wholly different kettle of fish that I know nothing about.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Honestly, I think my only option in this case is to proceed with shrinking the drive and intsalling on the space made available.... Unless of course, any one has any more information or other suggestions withing the next few hours....

~Matt
    sure. shrink it.

when you reformated as i understand the space is compeltelly reassigned and unless you have some disk damage when the system writes down it writes form the start of parittion. sort of same thing should happen if you delted the whole disk form another menia. delete reassigns all data block as available for overwrite. the defragmentation appears when you delete, change file, add file, delete, add, delete add.... see more about this on wikipedia article on file system fragmentation : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_system_fragmentation

if you can't shrink the windows partition using windows disk manager just use gparted. at this point it doesn't matter as all you have to loose is freshly installed windows os. you can always reinstall it later in NTFS that is left on disk.if it will even be necessary to do that.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That's one I can answer from personal esperience. Yes, it will keep more space for Windows than is actually necessary, and give you less for Ubuntu. Precisely that happened to me, when I kept Win7 on my most recent machine; had I not felt it would be a good idea to keep the factory-installed Win7 on it in case of a need to work on or test a customer's files, I would have simply stripped it to the bone and used the whole drive for Linux. As it is, I had quite a bit less than half of the drive available to Xubuntu.

The suggestion from verymadpip is your best way to go; pre-partition the drive and then tell Windows to install only in the partition you've left for it. You can determine from the current installation how much space to leave. Unfortunately, some of the newer versions of Windows insist on reformatting anyway, so this might not be an available option.

A solution that I used on this box was even simpler: I replaced the original drive with a new unit, at a cost of about $55 USD, leaving Windows alone on the original. I then installed Xubuntu on the new drive and kept the old one available for use if I ever needed Vista. You could (and others have done this) put the original back into the box as a second drive if it's a tower, and use either GRUB or the Windows Boot Menu to select which to use at boot time. This approach gives each system a full drive, but makes cross-system file access a bit more difficult. In my case, I use an external USB adapter if I need to get to files on the old Vista drive, or on any of the even older Win98 drives I've salvaged from my older boxes before recycling them...
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

One thing to consider is how much space you really need for your Linux system. Given that it installs to less than 8 GB, half of the drive is probably a lot on a Windows 7 machine. Unless you're into storing a lot of big media files.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    Given that it installs to less than 8 GB, half of the drive is probably a lot on a Windows 7 machine.
    Quite true. Here's the "parted -l" listing from the machine I referred to earlier:
    Code:
    Model: ATA ST500DM002-1BD14 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
    Partition Table: gpt

Nbr   Start        End      Size        File system   Name                                       Flags
     1      1049kB  106MB  105MB   fat32              EFI system partition               boot
     2      106MB   240MB  134MB                          Microsoft reserved partition  msftres
     3      240MB   243GB  243GB   ntfs                 Basic data partition
     5      243GB   243GB  500MB   ext4
     6      243GB   264GB  20.5GB  ext4
     8      264GB   478GB  214GB   ext4
     7      478GB   482GB  4096MB                        linux-swap(v1)
     4      482GB   500GB  18.0GB  ntfs                 Basic data partition
    The two partitions marked as "ntfs" are the Win7 partitions, one being the hidden "Restore" partition and the other being the visible Win7 system. The three marked as "ext4" are the Linux partitions. They are "/," ".boot," and ".home." Number 5 is /boot, 6 is /, and 8 is /home.

Currently, the usage looks like this using "df" (I've removed the lines that report virtual partitions actually in RAM):
    Code:
    Filesystem         1K-blocks      Used            Available    Use%   Mounted on
    /dev/sda6           19685656     3478456      15207216  19%      /
    /dev/sda8           205886168   114487328  80940424  59%     /home
    /dev/sda5           473000         35485           413093       8%       /boot
    /dev/sda1           98304           18568           79736         19%     /boot/efi
    Partitions 1 and 5 were created automatically because this box uses UEFI, which is another whole can of worms. They are not needed in most installations. Note that partition 7, swap, doesn't appear at all in the "df" listing; it's not actually mounted anywhere but is controlled by a separate area of the kernel.

My /home partition includes the virtual-disk files for a number of virtual machines; people not using VMs can expect much more free space there. Even so, I still have more than 40% of the space free, and this machine has been running for more than a year receiving my email and doing its share of web browsing (although most of my browsing takes place on another box, the one from which I posted my previous replies in this thread).

I hope these help clarify what might be expected from a dual-boot installation!

EDIT: Sorry about the table columns. I tried to line them up since the editor didn't seem to deal with tabs properly, but obviously failed...
    Last edited by JKyleOKC; March 21st, 2014 at 08:01 PM. Reason: to add explanation
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

I see, I can just about make sense of it but it took a while xD

Honestly, I might try another format and pre-partition as suggested, just see if this works. If not, I'll have to make do with what I've got. After all, there is still 80Gb of space available, so even half of that would be enough for the main files, then I can use my other SATA HD for personal folders like the /home etc (I can do that right? I'm sure I can :/)

Any ways, I did happen to find this online which I was considering trying, but not knowing a whole lot about the internal of system32 and windows files etc, I didn't really wanna mess with it. Uness it was a good way, and worked. Any way, I'll post the site for reference, then maybe if any one else ever needs this sort of stuff, there should be something there for them

http://indrajitc.wordpress.com/2008/03/25/reclaiming-disk-space-from-system-volume-information/

1. To see the space allocated and used for SVI:
    - Open Command Prompt with “Run as Administrator” option
    - Type in: vssadmin list shadowstorage
    - You will see Used Space, Allocated Space and Maximum Space for SVI
    2. To see the restore information stored therein:
    - Use in the same console command: vssadmin list shadows
    3. To resize the maximum allocated space:
    - Type in command: vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=[here add the drive letter]: /For=[here add the drive letter]: /Maxsize=[here add the maximum size]
    - E.g., vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=C: /For=C: /Maxsize=4GB
    - You will see a prompt confirming resize done
    - You can check the status again using the command discussed in point 1 above
    4. Just to get rid of the space already consumed, but sticking to the same size of max-size as before:
    - Do actions as per point 3 to set the max-size t, say, 1GB
    - If you check now, most likely you’ll see that used space is now 0KB
    - Do the resize again and set it back to what it was before
    - Check your disk space availability in Windows Explorer, you should see the reclaim is done!

Maybe this will be of use to someone else? Any ways, for now, I move to the 3rd (and hopefuly final) format and reinstall

~Matt

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I see, I can just about make sense of it but it took a while xD

Honestly, I might try another format and pre-partition as suggested, just see if this works. If not, I'll have to make do with what I've got. After all, there is still 80Gb of space available, so even half of that would be enough for the main files, then I can use my other SATA HD for personal folders like the /home etc (I can do that right? I'm sure I can :/)
    well you dont' actually need separate home. you can just have data on other drive. i had an old IDE 50 GB drive or was it 60... i left the system on it and just added another new SATA drive that stores all data, while the old drive has mostly just OS and some programs. all in all i am not sure if i reached 30 GB yet. i did reach 20 but that was because i installed wine and some windows games on the old drive

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast