Thread: HTC One Question / Running on Ubuntu Laptop

Beans

HTC One Question / Running on Ubuntu Laptop

Hey everyone,

I've got a quick question, I've recently started using ubuntu on my laptop and I've run into a ton of issues with my iPhone 5..the new operating system just isn't that compatible, can't sync music and a number of other basic functions. For this reason I'm thinking of buying a HTC One phone and I just wanted some clarity. Are there any issues with basic functions like syncing? I've been looking around and can't find a clear answer, but it seems ubuntu is much more android friendly than it is apple friendly.

So basically my question is, if I'm using an HTC one are there bugs that restrict me from successfully using all the basic syncing functions on my computer?

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HTC One Question / Running on Ubuntu Laptop

It depends what you mean by "syncing". If you mean "copying address book and SMSes to the computer", then this functionality might be hit-or-miss on Ubuntu.

If you mean "backing up my address book", the phone itself will back up your contacts to Google's server.

If you mean "putting music/photos/videos onto my phone", you can access the phone's storage on Ubuntu 13.04 and above as though it was a flash drive. Music and video files placed on the phone in this way will be playable on the phone.

Everything else, such as installing apps and doing system upgrades, are done entirely in-phone and don't require a computer at all.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It is more true to say that Apple isn't friendly, full stop or as the Americans say, Period! Open Source developers work best with open source projects. There is much about Android that is open source. So much so, that Ubuntu developers can use Android code in developing Ubuntu for phones and tablets.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Awesome thanks for the input. Apple definitely isn't friendly...basically as long as I can sync music from my computer onto my phone with no issues I'll be fine. I'm not asking for much haha. After dealing with the mounting issues, the privacy issues and now the syncing issues with apple, I just wanna be sure that I can sync my HTC One with stuff off my computer, specifically music.