Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu user interface lagging

Beans

Ubuntu user interface lagging

So, the biggest ubuntu problem right now is very laggy dash - appear/disappear animations lags, when searching, it takes quite a few seconds for icons to appear, even if result is 1 or 5 items. removing blur improves situation, but only by a bit. The lag also makes hard to pin programs to launcher, as you have to do it very slowly for it to work. And it is the biggest ubuntu problem, because the whole ubuntu unity thing is 99% about its dash, so its like 99% of ubuntu is stuck in 1960's. Not so good, heh.

Beans

Re: The biggest ubuntu problem

I have to say that I have no such problem here on a fresh installation of Trusty. Perhaps disable the online search?
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

I found the auto-hide on the dash to be pretty broken too, as in it never unhides for me. Could be because I'm running it within a VM though. I tried modifying the settings, but it doesn't seem to even read them.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by blitzd View Post
    I found the auto-hide on the dash to be pretty broken too, as in it never unhides for me. Could be because I'm running it within a VM though. I tried modifying the settings, but it doesn't seem to even read them.
    Same problem here, also running through VM....
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Ubuntu user interface lagging

Vm can be troublesome...a hard install would be like the difference between day and night...you wouldn't likely have those kind of problems...unity is very smooth, fast, and snappy...

Beans

It's quite smooth and snappy on my VM as well, and I'd be using it in 14.04 if I could move the min/max/close buttons...

It only seems to be the edge detection that doesn't work well - even with workspace/show-desktop/etc on the corners they sometimes work, sometimes don't.

Beans

Online search is disabled, it doesnt make any difference, and btw, dash lags not only in 14.04 but in all ubuntu versions with unity.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I am also experiencing the lag. Overall, 14.04 seems much slower than 12.04. I am using amd64 version on two machines and both are affected.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

in KDE I also have lag, I suspect a problem in the new version of the Mesa ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by gifford View Post
    I am also experiencing the lag. Overall, 14.04 seems much slower than 12.04. I am using amd64 version on two machines and both are affected.

All my trusty installs are working super fast!! The only ones I had problems with were ones that retrofitted to llvmpipe. Check <about this computer ... and see what the video (driver) settings are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast