Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 14.04 min/max/close buttons

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: 14.04 min/max/close buttons

Unity is not for you then. Even if you manage to switch window controls to the right side, the maximized buttons won't leave the left corner ever.
    Btw how do you manage to find your way around the ios or androids where everything is different?
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans

I guess not, but I'd rather that not be the case since I like unity, and it has worked the way I wanted it to in the past.

As for iOS and Android - seeing as how I don't use a mouse and keyboard for either of them I don't find that it's an issue there. How do you manage with android with no min/max/close button on the top left?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

no idea, never touched a smartphone in my life, no problems with simple nokia though either way it's not me who is not flexible here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Yeah I'm not sure why Unity keeps road-blocking people wanting to customize their desktops to their liking. I mean KDE and XFCE have tons of abilities to customize but Unity only has bare essentials. Heck even adding a theme or new icons takes a bit of effort. In KDE they have a theme browser you can download from and color picker you can change color from. And it has almost every other option known to man as well . Just saying, come on Unity give us some default options to play with without having to rely on some 3rd party tweak tool that may or may not work when it feels like it!

I'm slowly getting used to the minimize etc...being on the left side but it messes with me when I go to work and am using Windows 7.

Beans
    Hidden!

I can understand the lack of some aspects of customization.
    Canonical aren't solely making something just so you and I can use it for free at home.
    Less customization the easier it is to support and iron out bugs.
    At the moment I'm ok with what I can and cannot customize.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vaphell View Post
    no idea, never touched a smartphone in my life, no problems with simple nokia though either way it's not me who is not flexible here
    No, I guess it's not you who's not being flexible. Seems it's Unity.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by blitzd View Post
    I've found tons of posts on how to move the min/max/close buttons to the right on 12.04 - 13.10, but none of those appear to work any more with 14.04. Even with dconf-editor when I can modify the button-layout setting it doesn't seem to do anything. Anyone know how to move those buttons to the right on 14.04?

gconf-editor no longer appears to even have a button-layout setting, or apps->metacity for that matter.
    If you use gnome session desktop you just type this in the terminal.

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout :minimize,maximize,close
    Last edited by frank18; April 17th, 2014 at 07:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by blitzd View Post
    No, I guess it's not you who's not being flexible. Seems it's Unity.
    Unity was never advertised as flexible. It's a DE for users who can't be bothered to tweak every little thing. Many people love dem macs with fixed window controls, it's the same deal here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Vaphell View Post
    Unity was never advertised as flexible. It's a DE for users who can't be bothered to tweak every little thing. Many people love dem macs with fixed window controls, it's the same deal here.
    True that !
    No problems with this 'take it or leave it' approach.Gnome3 Shell is another example of the stand!

There are plenty of options in the FOSS world.
    Settle for what you like best and what works for you.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by su:bhatta View Post
    True that !
    No problems with this 'take it or leave it' approach.Gnome3 Shell is another example of the stand!

There are plenty of options in the FOSS world.
    Settle for what you like best and what works for you.

Take it or leive it! that's what i do, i like Unity but but i log out and use gnome2 cause i never could live without the old gnome fallback desktop for the simple fact that one can send all the pages you want in the easy way to the taskbar,i could never get used to Unity, gnome3 ways.I bet you, if you could do same way as gnome2 the minimize,maximize butons,people wouldn't leave Unity as i did, hack at least give the option in the Unity instead of driving people away from Unity or gnome3 to XFCE or Gnome2.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast