Thread: How Start Wine?

Beans

How Start Wine?

Installed Wine as part of a Navicat 11 package installation onto Ubuntu 12.04 desktop.

Everything worked fine until I exited Navicat which also automatically closed out Wine.

Embarassed to say I've searched the menu & disk directory, but am unable to figure out
    how to restart Wine?

Once I get any response, I surely will peg it to my start menu.

Can anyone suggest the best approach to starting Wine again either thru the desktop gui
    or cmd line?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: How Start Wine?

You don't exactly run Wine like that.

Try opening the Dash and typing the name of your application. If it shows, just click it. Many apps will just have a launcher when you install them.

Otherwise, you should be able to start it from the terminal like so (if I remember correctly):

Code:
    $ wine "C:\Program Files\appname\appname.exe"

Beans

Thanks, it appears Wine doesn't yet have any association with the navicat exe file.

Beans

I've been reading thru the WineHQ.org doc & wiki attempting different calls, but not yet been successful.

Is there an Ubuntu cmd to use to review my log calls for this applic yesterday to determine what I'm needing to properly
    invoke Navicat?

Beans

Just navigate to the .exe file and click it should work.

Beans

Clicking on the .exe doesn't work, I've tried using the Winefile utility too with the same effect.

I'll completely uninstall Wine & Navicat and start over.

Beans

Ok, the deinstall/reinstall from the Navicat downloadable fixed the problem at least for Navicat.

The download archive includes its own copy of Wine & a config file.

Will keep this thread open a bit longer as I need to test installing another application into the Wine environment.

Beans

Btw, for information purposes for any others to avoid the frustration & time waste, Navicat doesn't disclose in their download page
    that their "Linux" version really is just their WinXP package with Wine, configured to support Navicat. Clicking on the navicat.exe
    won't work, one must click on their custom start_navicat shell script.

Beans

FYI, why this is relevant?

With WinXP security patch update elimination in April 2014, more users with legacy XP applics are more apt to migrate to Linux vs scrapping everything to upgrade to Win7/8/9.

I'm documenting this those users as well as for my own needs as the 1st of several PC's I will migrate to Linux Ubuntu & it's hardware dependent variants.

Thanks all for your help, it's been refreshing the level of support from the Ubuntu community.