Thread: Loud Beep Occurs Whenever I plug in a USB Drive (and Other Related Anomalies)

Beans

Question Loud Beep Occurs Whenever I plug in a USB Drive (and Other Related Anomalies)

Not much of a forum guy, but after weeks of troubleshooting and searching, I haven't resolved this issue. Basically, I have a 500GB 2.5" SATA drive that I keep in an enclosure, which is attached to my laptop via USB most of the time (mainly for the purpose of making incremental backups through duplicity, but nothing is automated). This drive is formatted Ext2. There are two problems I've been having when using this drive:

1. When plugging it into a USB port, my computer emits a short, but loud beep. This beep is audible through external speakers or headphones plugged into the headphone jack, and through the built-in speakers, when nothing is occupying the headphone jack as well.

2. When performing a search on said drive, with a tool like catfish or gnome-search-tool, my computer will sometimes emit the same beep I described above.

The drive itself seems to function just fine, and neither gnome-disk-utility or gparted report any issues with it. It should also be noted, that the beep always occurs when plugging it into one of the USB ports on the right side of my laptop (the same side that my headphone jack and line-in jack are located on), but only sporadically occurs when plugging it into one of the USB ports on the left side of my laptop (the same side that my eSATA and serial ports are located on). This issue does not rear its head when I plug in other USB devices (but the only other USB devices I use are a fat32 formatted flash drive, and the Logitech Unifier for my wireless mouse).

I have not been able to remedy these issues and don't see anything in the system logs I've checked (syslog and Xorg.0) that seems relevant. I have not been able to disable the beep (and I've tried every approach listed here; http://earthwithsun.com/questions/60...ed-in-or-moved here; http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=126746 and here; http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=865642) or gain an understanding of what it signifies. I have even disassembled, cleaned and reassembled the drive enclosure to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Other potentially relevant information:
    - My laptop is a Kudu Professional from System76 (A.K.A; Clevo W670SZQ).
    - I am currently running Xubuntu 13.10 as my sole OS.
    - I also have a 1TB drive attached via eSATA most of the time.

Beans

Re: Loud Beep Occurs Whenever I plug in a USB Drive (and Other Related Anomalies)

bumping for feedback. also, forgot to mention that my laptop always beeps when resuming from suspend.

Beans

Re: Loud Beep Occurs Whenever I plug in a USB Drive (and Other Related Anomalies)

a knee body?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

sorry again.

Beans

hello hello