Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best old games

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Talking Best old games

I have a circa 2008 laptop that was limping along on XP that I recently converted over to Ubuntu to try and extend it's shelf life until I can afford to buy a new one. I've been really happy with the operating system so far, as it can do 95% of what I need my laptop for. It has a good office suite, it has a good web browser, it can run VideoLAN (VLC) and it can run Audacity.

The one thing that I miss is that I had all of these old games pre-installed on my laptop that I either can't seem to get to run or I've lost the install CD for them. I'm curious as to what the community has to say on this. I'm looking for *old* games. I have a 1.3 gig processor and 2 gigs of RAM. Anybody got any good suggestions for really great, bang up games that can run on this kind of system? I'm looking specifically for either low cost games and/or games that can run native on Linux. I don't want to throw a lot of money on a game that I might not play for the long haul.

(For the record I have and *LOVE* "Battle for Wesnoth")

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Best old games

Why not simply browse the software center?

Plenty of old games there.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro

I have, and I do, but obviously I don't have time to play test them all. I was hoping for some recommendations. Which ones are worth the time and which ones are not?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Games are like movies and music, everyone has their own tastes.

What kind of games do you like?
    Earn Your Keep

Beans
    Distro

I'm a big fan of the original Command & Conquer series, and I LOVED the first "Red Alert", so those kinds of games appeal to me. I also like the Civilization games. I've installed and tried the FreeCiv, but it has a steep learning curve and I'm having trouble getting into it. I enjoy some of the sim economy games like SimCity. I've tried OpenTTD, Lincity, and Micropolis, but the graphics on those are a little *too* low for my tastes. I also love some of the turn based combat games like "Battle for Wesnoth", which, as I said, I really dig. For a little while, I was into MMORPGs, but I don't know of any that can run on my laptop.

Beans
    Distro

Here is what I *don't* like. I don't want something that relies on speed and reaction time. Mine is terrible, and with a low-memory laptop, it does not do well anyway on response time. I'm also not big on First Person Shooters.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

There is hope for those old windows games. Playonlinux is easy to use and I have found it works nice with old window games.

https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applicat...y/playonlinux/

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PlayOnLinux

https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/search/saucy/?q=games

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What about something like 0ad?
    (Zero AD, not O as in OMG AD)
    Earn Your Keep

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

World Of Goo is quite good, as is Minecraft. You can cut some of the features out of Minecraft,like clouds to speed it up. You can also play in creative mode and not worry about having the stuffing kicked out of you.
    We have our own little server for it.
    Last edited by Linuxratty; March 13th, 2014 at 02:35 AM.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by heroquestelf View Post
    I'm a big fan of the original Command & Conquer series, and I LOVED the first "Red Alert", so those kinds of games appeal to me. I also like the Civilization games. I've installed and tried the FreeCiv, but it has a steep learning curve and I'm having trouble getting into it. I enjoy some of the sim economy games like SimCity. I've tried OpenTTD, Lincity, and Micropolis, but the graphics on those are a little *too* low for my tastes. I also love some of the turn based combat games like "Battle for Wesnoth", which, as I said, I really dig. For a little while, I was into MMORPGs, but I don't know of any that can run on my laptop.
    Warzone 2100 - youll have to test if your system is powerful enough
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast