Thread: Why does everyone hate Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: Why does everyone hate Ubuntu?

or 4chan != 'everyone' haha

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

well on /g/. Neckbeards hate anything more well known or works right out the box. If it's pretty simple it is botnet trash etc. "install gentoo bla blah"

Linux users seem to be the worst with not getting along because people prefer certain distros.
    I mean you can pretty much do the same thing with all of linux. Some are just easier to do so with. +1 ubuntu

I don't use Unity. But I have nothing against it at all. It works fine. That may be another pointless reason. Oh and the whole amazon thing made some people turn heads. Even though you can stop it with just one mouse click. Or maybe two clicks.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have worked with Linux system admins at a Fortune 500 company. There were 20 in my group. I don't remember any 2 saying they ran the same distro and desktop environment combination on their home computers. No one hated any distro. They just thought their choice was best for their needs, and they knew they could change what they didn't like except for yum vs apt. The company's preferred distro was RHEL because of the support.

When I see what appears to be hate on internet forums it seems to be those with little knowledge or people with an agenda doing the hating.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; March 16th, 2014 at 11:18 PM. Reason: typo
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Why? I guess because with the Unity DE - Ubuntu takes away from all the infinite customization you used to be able to do with Gnome 2.

Now with Gnome 2 moving to Gnome 3 (and it's lack of customization like Unity) and Ubuntu not liking the direction Gnome 3 took; they built their own DE.

Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and Lubuntu still allows for a lot of customization without very much effort.

That's why I think that is.
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slooksterpsv View Post
    Why? I guess because with the Unity DE - Ubuntu takes away from all the infinite customization you used to be able to do with Gnome 2.
    How does it take away anything? You have 10000 old fashion DEs that look like gnome 2 to put on Ubuntu and 'customize' to your heart's delight.There are only two modern looking ones. It is the Unity/gnome shell haters who want to take the choice away from others. Ubuntu aims to attract new users, how does an old tired XP look attract new users in 2014?

There isn't really a lot that needs to be 'customized' if default is reasonable (i have to say gnome-shell's defaults are completely **** up). Gnome 2 needs a lot of customization because it is so ugly and clumsy to use that you need to spend time to tweak it. In Unity you just have to activate some compiz plugins for multiple desktop switching etc. Incidentally you can't be very productive if you spend a lot of time 'customizing' your desktop. So most of these complainers are not even 'advanced users' like they fancy themselves. The advanced users most likely wouldn't be freaking out about where to put indicator icons etc as they do most things from the terminal.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; March 17th, 2014 at 12:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Why do you NEED to customize...if something is laid out to be simple to use such as unity...just USE it, for pete sake...
    You put your favorites and most used apps on the unity dock and just 1 click and you get what you need....use dash search for less used stuff...
    simple..basic...intuitive...efficient...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by slooksterpsv View Post
    Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and Lubuntu still allows for a lot of customization without very much effort.
    In addition to KDE, Xfce, and Lxde DEs there are also a lot of other DEs including Cinnamon, Enlightenment, Mate, and several less known DEs.

You do not have to install derivative Ubuntu OS'es from/to Kubuntu (KDE), Lubuntu (Lxde), Xubuntu (Xfce), etc. Just install the DE you like. You can do it on other distros as well.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Lately I have installed Ubuntu on quite a few computers for people I work with. It all started with one install and that person spreading the word. So far every person I have installed Ubuntu for loves Unity! No kidding! New users feel that they have the elegance of the Mac OS without the cost. Personally, I think Unity looks better than the Mac OS because it looks so clean and modern but that is just my opinion. Ubuntu 14.04 is really going to turn some heads with all of the refinements that have gone into it.

I am a PCLinuxOS fan and yet I still like what Canonical has done with the user interface. I think that some people just do not want to leave the comfort of a traditional desktop, luckily there are countless options available if you really want or need a different desktop environment. I am a long time Linux user but I gave Unity a fair chance and ended up liking it very much. Canonical has put a lot into Unity and have gone as far as to put back elements that Gnome Shell has done away with.

Canonical is hearing what people want and are doing their best to make people happy yet still develop something fresh. The quality of Ubuntu releases has improved by leaps and bounds since they decided to develop their own user interface too. Designing something that can run on multiple devices is no simple task and lets face it things are changing. I read an article some time ago about inconsistencies in computer operating systems, someone at Canonical must have read it too because they are going above and beyond to make Unity consistent.

I see no problems with work flow in Unity as some suggest and I watched a video that compared Unity to a traditional desktop and Unity was quicker at completing the tasks. People complain that Unity is not customizable, why would you really need to change it? craig10x pointed out how useful the launcher is in his post and he is absolutely right. I put the apps I use everyday in the launcher and use the dash for things I use occasionally. I fell that I have less travel with the mouse in Unity and have more screen real estate with most apps.

I honestly feel that Unity has a solid future and I am glad that Canonical made the decision to develop it on their own. I really did not care that much for Ubuntu before Unity came along and I thought the quality was poor. The quality has been better and better since Unity came along because there are no upstream issues to blame anyone else for, it is a direct reflection on Canonical as far as many bugs are concerned.

I load other distros on a spare hard drive every once and a while to try other desktop environments but so far nothing has impressed me as much as Unity. Unity has a modern elegant look and I have gotten used to using it because I gave it a fair chance. I genuinely enjoy using Unity and the refinements in 14.04 make it even better! I have to give Canonical credit where credit is do, they have done a fine job with Unity for the upcoming LTS release. Operating systems are changing and for all of the ideas out there I think that Unity is the best so far.

The Ubuntu developers are doing a huge amount of development on their own these days and so far they are still on a six month development cycle, that says a lot right there. Ubuntu is free of charge and they provide so much to so many, it is absolutely amazing! Ubuntu has changed so much since it's introduction into the Linux world and the changes are all for the best. I support what Canonical is doing with Unity because they went out on their own to design something new and fresh.

People also like to complain because Ubuntu has a multi millionaire founder, instead of complaining they should be thankful that he chose to invest in open source. Mark Shuttleworth has helped open source in so many ways. I fell that Ubuntu directly influenced gaming coming to Linux and that was something that was holding Linux back for many. Graphics drivers are getting better and I can not say for certain but I feel that Ubuntu has helped that a long as well.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Ubuntu releases are always under the microscope so to speak and any flaws are very quickly pointed out. In my opinion the Ubuntu developers are doing the best work they have ever done since Unity came into existence. I see no reason to hate Ubuntu or Unity and I wish more people would try to support what Canonical is doing. If you had to redesign the user interface could you design something as good as Unity? I couldn't.

I have been running 14.04 for some time now and the improvements it has are awesome! I really think that 14.04 has the potential to win over more corporate users and the timing is very good because Windows 8 has not been very successful. I look at Windows 8 and Unity and Unity is by far a much better option in my opinion. Canonical has put a great deal of time and effort into Unity and I would like to see their hard work pay off for them. I appreciate what Canonical has done for me, they have given me a stunning operating system that works very well.
    Last edited by d-cosner; March 17th, 2014 at 05:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Why do you NEED to customize...if something is laid out to be simple to use such as unity...just USE it, for pete sake...
    You put your favorites and most used apps on the unity dock and just 1 click and you get what you need....use dash search for less used stuff...
    simple..basic...intuitive...efficient...
    This was very well put as this is why I stuck with Ubuntu. I liked the Unity layout and ease of use. I tried Mint and actually thought it was not as fast as Ubuntu/Unity and went back to Ubuntu. It has a wonderful community of support and just a great group of people. I love Ubuntu and hope to get many others on board. I have already converted 3 people in my first two weeks and am sure there will be many more.
    Joe Johnston
    Ubuntu GNOME
    "All the best people in life seem to like LINUX." Steve Wozniak

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Big +1 joe_johnston...could not agree more...and i see you are a newcomer here...a big welcome...nice to have you

The funny thing is i started with ubuntu (back in 2008) and it was always my favorite....but i wasn't overjoyed with it's original 2 panels (top and bottom) and "fan out" style apps menu as it had at that time, and switched to mint for quite some time...but when unity was introduced, i took to it quite quickly and have stayed with it ever since...i love it's mac-like feel (as d-cosner mentioned) with the unity dock and global top panel...it's also become very polished and professional looking as compared to the earlier days...

Also a Big +1 for d-cosner...could not have said it better
    Last edited by craig10x; March 17th, 2014 at 06:25 AM.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast