Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does everyone hate Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: Why does everyone hate Ubuntu?

Although I myself do not use Ubuntu(desktop) anymore, I don't have anything against it. It is a perfect OS if you want something to get used to Linux, in my opinion. I like the server edition, however, because it has everything of an advanced server, but isn't too complex.
    Last edited by howefield; March 23rd, 2014 at 12:23 AM. Reason: removing the insults.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm writing something here because I'm about to uninstall Ubuntu in a few minutes and I want to state my frustration so hopefully in future releases these things will become easier. There is an application (Blender) that I need to keep up to date (latest version). I have no problem downloading the program but of course, I can't "install" it because it's not in the repositories (at least not a recent version). Without being able to install, I run into a number of issues.

1. Ubuntu does not allow you to attach a file type to an uninstalled application which means if I double click a .blend file, it will not launch Blender.
    2. Ubuntu makes it difficult to create a desktop launcher (you have to run nautilus as an admin which you would never even know without looking that up)
    3. Even if you make a desktop launcher, you cannot drag that to the Unity launcher so it has to sit out on the desktop looking ugly
    4. You have to create a script (.desktop) to get a file to drag to the launcher on the left (major pain and it gives you an ugly question mark icon)

So after struggling with this ONE issue for the first several hours after installing Ubuntu 14.04, I have given up and decided to install something different and will cross my fingers that I can run this single application that I need. Spending hours trying to get an icon to show up in a launcher is not my idea of fun tweaking.

I personally like the fact that so many people run Ubuntu. It means that when I have a problem, many others have run into the same problem and people are trying to help. What I don't understand is if so many people are having issues, why does Canonical not FIX THE ISSUE!!! If they would just make it easy to create PPAs, I would personally manage the Blender one (if I had to) and we would always have the newest version of Blender.

I am not looking forward to installing Arch but I don't see any other way of getting what I need. I honestly can now see why so many people try Linux for a day and never ever go back to it. If this was my first experience I would be one of those people.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

A quick Google shows that the cuurent version of Blender was available in a PPA but that maintainer has not updated. PPA's are not maintained by Canonical. I think it is fair to say Ubuntu does not target absolute bleeding edge packages and the potential instability they often deliver.

The .desktop approach is a Linux standard, not a Unity oddity. I generally just copy a working .desktop file and edit it; if the targeted icon is in a standard icon directory, it will be used. The intent of Unity is not to use desktop icons by default. Enabling that capacity by configuring Nautilus or a comparable file manager to control the desktop is something you will find is common across Linux. Ubuntu is available in all major and most minor interfaces, many of which enable desktop icons by default.
    Last edited by buzzingrobot; November 1st, 2014 at 09:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the info buzzingrobot. I tried again and the .desktop file that I wrote never worked, however, I just now got one made by alacarte that did work so I FINALLY got my program to show up properly in the Unity launcher. I still can't figure out how to attach the .blend file to the executable. It doesn't show up in the list of applications to open it with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the info buzzingrobot. I tried again and the .desktop file that I wrote never worked, however, I just now got one made by alacarte that did work so I FINALLY got my program to show up properly in the Unity launcher. I still can't figure out how to attach the .blend file to the executable. It doesn't show up in the list of applications to open it with.

AHAHA!!! I got it! As a last second ditch I just Google searched how to get an application to show up in the menu and found it! I had to add %F after the exec line. Done and done. Ubuntu community saves the day again.

So why did my personal .desktop script never work? I used gedit to create it.. that's the only variation on the directions that I took... and sorry that I'm so off topic here. This is actually a good example of why I LIKE Ubuntu.

Beans

I know I posted here before, but after running 14.10 for awile, I'm happy with it (needed the updated kernel because Radeon drivers have improved a lot lately). Used "theme configuaration" to make the top menu bar black like in GNOME (yes that was importent to me), autohide the side launcher, and it's good. I'm still reletivily new to Linux, but I generally press Super then search for programs, or make a keyboard shortcut to them, so although I don't like Unity, I generally don't interact with it much either.

Question tho. I still haven't found a way to autohide the top bar? Or to move the clock to the middle like in GNOME. Can these be done?

ps: Oh and what do I need to make Skype have an icon in the taskbar? Mint has it by default, but not any other distros I've tried.

Beans

Unity sucks bad.

Real bad.

I'm not going to spend half a page repeating all of the voluminous and overhwelming reasons given by innumerable people over the last couple of years or more. suffice to say, since Unity came in, I made do with a progressively less customisable and progressively less gnomey Gnome from the Ubuntu repositories. And don't even get me started on the "Ubuntu Gnome 3" distro. It's like no Gnome I ever used pre-Unity. It got so bad, in the end, I finally gave up the ghost a month or three back and went over to Mint 17 with Mate.

And then came along Ubuntu-Mate. Mate being an unmistakable spiritual sucessor to Gnome 2. Just installed it this afternoon.

And all's well with the world once more.......

I'm happily back with Ubuntu.
    Last edited by stevecook; November 10th, 2014 at 06:38 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    This has turned into a discussion that has been had many times previously.

Therefore, Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.
    Perhaps one might want to ask oneself why it keeps reccurring.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by stevecook View Post
    Unity sucks bad.

Real bad.

Since Unity came in, I made do with a progressively more flakey and progressively less gnomey Gnome from the Ubuntu repositories. And don't even get me started on the "Ubuntu Gnome" distro. It's like no Gnome I ever used pre-Unity. It got so bad, I finally gave up the Ghost a month or three back and went over to Mint 17 with Mate.

And then came along Ubuntu-Mate. Just installed it this afternoon.

And all's well with the world once more.......

I'm back on board with Ubuntu.

The interface you prefer is the Gnome 2 interface. The Gnome team ended development *and* maintenance of Gnome 2 in 2011, moving on to the completely different Gnome 3. Rather than use Gnome 3, Canonical chose to build Unity, its own interface for Ubuntu. Later, the dead Gnome 2 code base was forked, and modernized to work in contemporary systems, as Mate.

Personal preferences aren't a measure, though, of suck-i-ness.

Beans

I know it's a fork of Gnome 2. It shows.

With regards to suckiness. I do think that some roughly objective things can be said about that.

You may often hear, as I do, MS Windows users bemoaning the demise of WinXP; even now, several years and several MS Windows versions later. Similarly, there has been an overwhelming chorus of disapproval from the Linux community that Ubuntu Unity simply does not suit the desktop experience and that Gnome (or similar) represented the zenith of that experience. Consequently, it's no surprise to me that both Gnome and XP both used a panel, an unfolding menu and a desktop for launchers.

Don't misunderstand me here. In terms of comparisons, Once I tried out Linux, my own bias was definitely for Gnome over XP as it was always far more customisable and I am also philosophically in tune with the principle of open source. Nevertheless, there was a convergent evolution of desktop forms in the essentials of the user interface. Gnome just did it far better. If we look to the natural world for comparable convergent evolution, we see such convergence everywhere. That is to say, in the presence of given environmental constraints, despite is being possible for lots of different phenotypic solutions to those constraints, it turns out that some phenotypic solutions just keep cropping up and re-evolving independently over and over again. The simple reason being because they are best fitted to those environmental constraints. In other words, they are the most probable.

As long as our major input and output devices remain the mouse, keyboard and monitor, desktop environments will tend to co-evolve to something approaching an XP/Mate/Gnome/XFCE-esque form. That's not to say that a superior replacement is not possible. Just very improbable, that's all. What is clear, though, is that Unity, for a heck of a lot of people (myself included), has singularly failed in this regard.

Now, of course, when of comes to touch-screen tablets, it's a different ball game entirely and, given the very different environmental constraints, a different software interface will no doubt better fit that environment. I think both Cannonical's and Microsoft's mistake was to try and squash these two user interfaces, with their very different constraints, into the one desktop environment and then be surprised when huge numbers of people think they suck. Though. I shou'd say, I lay that particular charge considerably more at the feet of Microsoft and I do have sympathy for Canonnical's decision to not rely on the awful mess Gnome 3 has turned into.

XFCE, (Xubuntu) as a flavour of Ubuntu, has always been a little bit on the flakey side in terms of things like screensaver and networking as well as having lots of little irritating niggles like an inability to set window file vews independently. As a consequence, while trying it out several times over the last couple of years, I always ended going back to the Ubuntu repositories for a Gnome that was rapidly becoming a broken version of itself. Hence, my move to Mint 17 with Mate in frustration a few weeks back, However with the advent of Ubuntu Mate (which, although billed as a Beta, feels far more finished and polished than that), I am happy to report a desktop environment that works as well as Gnome 2, but with lots of extras facilities that make it far better then Gnome 2. It will be very interesting to see if Cannonical make the Mate version an official flavour of Ubuntu and, if they do, just how popular it becomes.

My guess is very.....
    Last edited by stevecook; November 10th, 2014 at 07:07 PM.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast