Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does everyone hate Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Why does everyone hate Ubuntu?

I tried Cinnamon on my netbook for the best part of a year. Unfortunately I was using Linux Mint which didn't seem to allow you to log into Unity, and any questions about this on their forum were answered with "Why would you want to?"

In the end I grew tired of the same user interface we all used from 1995 onwards and I felt Cinnamon wasn't as intelligently designed as Unity. Lack of file search really killed it for me. I had to switch back to Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Why does everyone hate Ubuntu?
    This is a very loaded question indeed !
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Why do you NEED to customize...if something is laid out to be simple to use such as unity...just USE it, for pete sake...
    You put your favorites and most used apps on the unity dock and just 1 click and you get what you need....use dash search for less used stuff...
    simple..basic...intuitive...efficient...
    Part of the pull of using Linux over Windows was always that you could customize it instead of being locked down, like Windows. If you're happy with how Unity is set up, then go for it. But not everyone is happy with how it's set up, and Unity pretty much locks you down just like Windows. So if you're in that boat, what is the draw that gets you to want to switch? I don't really think that Unity's setup, alone, is great enough to get someone to install a whole new OS when their Windows was already set up and working. The beautiful thing about Linux has always been that you are given a workable setup, but you are in complete control if you want to be. If that is taken away, then a big part of what is Linux is taken away.

And I know we're still in control of installing any one of a hundred DEs and WMs. I'm just talking about the notion that if something works well, we should just be happy with it.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Also a Big +1 for d-cosner...could not have said it better
    I agree -- that was a very good post!

Interesting reading the comments here about Unity -- and about Cinnamon. I think Cinnamon is okay, but I like Unity and GNOME Shell better. I'm not sure which I like better between Unity and GNOME Shell; I'm comfortable using either one of those. And I have no problem going from using, say, Unity on one day, to Xfce or whatever the next day. I'm okay with pretty much any environment.

As for Ubuntu, I've been running LTS releases since Dapper, and I'm looking forward to 14.04. My top distros these days are Debian and Arch, but Ubuntu is still one of my favorites. The rabid Ubuntu-hatred coming from some parts of the Linux community amazes me, especially because Ubuntu continues to work out quite well here.

Beans

Ubuntu users or Linux Users are users that are willing to create whats not available to make their daily use a better one.

Windows users have been spoiled to have everything done for them, and when put in a position to troubleshoot it frustrates some.

MAC users prefer MAC. I stand to be corrected

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Everybody attacks the successful.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Part of the pull of using Linux over Windows was always that you could customize it instead of being locked down, like Windows. If you're happy with how Unity is set up, then go for it. But not everyone is happy with how it's set up, and Unity pretty much locks you down just like Windows. So if you're in that boat, what is the draw that gets you to want to switch? I don't really think that Unity's setup, alone, is great enough to get someone to install a whole new OS when their Windows was already set up and working. The beautiful thing about Linux has always been that you are given a workable setup, but you are in complete control if you want to be. If that is taken away, then a big part of what is Linux is taken away.

And I know we're still in control of installing any one of a hundred DEs and WMs. I'm just talking about the notion that if something works well, we should just be happy with it.
    Well how many DEs are available for Windows? Ans. One. How many for Ubuntu? I can't even count, so you don't get "locked down" in Ubuntu like in Windows (or Mac for that matter)

Unity uses compiz and there are quite a lot of customizations you can do in ccsm (and quite a bit of configuring of gnome 2 you see on Youtube videos involve playing with Compiz and little else) If you want menu you can get it one sudo apt-get away, if you want to litter your desktop with icons you can also do that (though they are really bad tastes IMO, the menu and icons on desktop) So exactly what is it that you cannot configure with Unity other than the position of the dock?

If all that are not enough configurations you always have the option of using openbox.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; March 17th, 2014 at 02:40 PM.

Beans

Do we really need to argue about Unity for the 8000th time?

Or speculate on the mental, emotional, moral, spiritual, or technical shortcomings of some theoretical group of Ubuntu "haters" who aren't here to explain or defend their views?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    I tried Cinnamon on my netbook for the best part of a year. Unfortunately I was using Linux Mint which didn't seem to allow you to log into Unity...
    You couldn't log on to Unity with Linux Mint because Unity wasn't there. Cinnamon was specifically designed by Mint as a traditional panel interface to be used in lieu of Gnome Shell and Unity.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Well how many DEs are available for Windows? Ans. One. How many for Ubuntu? I can't even count, so you don't get "locked down" in Ubuntu like in Windows (or Mac for that matter)

Unity uses compiz and there are quite a lot of customizations you can do in ccsm (and quite a bit of configuring of gnome 2 you see on Youtube videos involve playing with Compiz and little else) If you want menu you can get it one sudo apt-get away, if you want to litter your desktop with icons you can also do that (though they are really bad tastes IMO, the menu and icons on desktop) So exactly what is it that you cannot configure with Unity other than the position of the dock?

If all that are not enough configurations you always have the option of using openbox.
    You read the last line of my post, right? I know that with Linux in general, you are not locked down because there are any number of DEs. Like I said in my post, I was replying to the idea that Unity works well, so you should be happy with it the way it is. In Unity, itself, you're a lot more limited in customization than you are in other DEs. Like I said, I'm not blasting Unity because that's what some people like. But saying that Unity works well, so you shouldn't ever want to have something more customizable is an opinion, too, and it's one that not everyone holds. If you still don't understand what I'm getting at, read the post I quoted and reread all of this in that light.

And this is a little off topic and even contrary to my original point, but there actually are 3rd party "shells" for Windows to make the desktop environment look differently.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast