Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boot-repair wont install in 14.04?

Beans
    Hidden!

Boot-repair wont install in 14.04?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Tried yesterday, the ppa adds in , but nothing to install.

Can someone try it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: Boot-repair wont install in 14.04?

I had to change in the synaptic settings repos/ other software go edit and change from
    Trusty to Saucy and then reload, it should then show up as normal in synaptic so you can install as per normal

Beans

There is no Trusty version yet:

boot_repair.jpg

Beans

I totally lost my ability to boot windows with my Ubuntu 14.04 install today. I have work I must get done in the Windows sie of my computer. I tried everything I could try to make the disk repair work, and then went searching and found this. I could not get the ropo information added to try to run the utility to fix things. Could you please give me some additional guidance? This needs to be run in the Live cd, correct? Thank you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by donmyers View Post
    I totally lost my ability to boot windows with my Ubuntu 14.04 install today. I have work I must get done in the Windows sie of my computer. I tried everything I could try to make the disk repair work, and then went searching and found this. I could not get the ropo information added to try to run the utility to fix things. Could you please give me some additional guidance? This needs to be run in the Live cd, correct? Thank you.
    try this: http://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/

Beans

You can use the following commands to install boot-repair in Ubuntu 14-04 :-
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
    sudo sh -c "sed -i 's/trusty/saucy/g' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/yannubuntu-boot-repair-trusty.list"
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks, but this line will run it.

sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair

just do this line,

sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair

I ended up using xkill, because I did not want boot-repair to do anything.

Also doing that so it uses saucy, what happens when trusty repo gets going? Is there a downside?

Beans

The downside is it may have conflicting dependencies, if there is no dependency you can just install the .deb instead of trying to use a repo for a different release.
    Also don't use -y in your apt-get install command. You don't know what dependencies it will bring and whether it may cause problems, you exactly want the package manager to prompt you instead of going by 'best guess'!

One reason why I don't make zeroth day releases my working system. ppas often take time to set up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Most people will fix Grub from the live CD hence it doesn't matter. But I find it very poor that they still have not updated to trusty.- Also Grub is somehow poor as I've had the very same error with 12.04, but this might be of it's complexity.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCyber View Post
    Most people will fix Grub from the live CD hence it doesn't matter. But I find it very poor that they still have not updated to trusty.- Also Grub is somehow poor as I've had the very same error with 12.04, but this might be of it's complexity.
    You do know that 'they' is one person and that boot-repair is only available from a PPA.

If you think that someone not having time for it is very poor then I am sure that they will be happy to receive your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast