Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dreamweaver alternative for coding, ftp etc

Beans

Dreamweaver alternative for coding, ftp etc

I currently use windows, but have mucked around in Linux (have just set up a raspberry pi as a web/backup server), and with windows 8 am getting more and more keen for a change over to Linux (at the moment I think Ubuntu is best bet). I am a website dev and use dreamweaver, but also do some video work etc and have the Adobe CS5 master collection.

I do not use the WYSIWYG part of dreamweaver. I code everything from scratch (html, css, ajax/jquery, javascript, php, mysql), but love the colour coding and error detection that dreamweaver uses (for example if you dont close a loop or use a ; in php, dreamweaver will flag that line red). The other feature that is awesome in dreamweaver is the site management.

I have a local server for development and testing (this will soon be on the raspberry pi). The www is set as a mapped network drive on the windows machine, and the local path is set through there in dreamweaver. The FTP server is just set up with the details for the live server account online. So as I save (which because its local is instant), I can press F5 in the browser window (duel monitors) to view my changes. If I like what is done and it is ready to go live (or it is server specific features that I have to test on the live site), I can just use ctrl+u to upload when in that file, or select the entire site from the file structure tree to upload the lot.

Is there any software that has a good project manager (quick and easy to use that includes FTP) as well as code highlighting/highlighting/error detection? When people have posts on the forum, seems to always point to a WYSIWYG that may not have the features I need. Keen to hear from some PHP devs here to see what they have used and like if possible.

Of course it would be nice to get the entire CS5 suite running in linux, but doubt that will happen

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Dreamweaver alternative for coding, ftp etc

Mmmm Bluefish.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Welcome. I use Kompozer which has wysiwyg and html. It's in the repos.

Beans

I use Sublime Text for coding, It is fantastic.

Beans

Bluefish was fairly stable under ubuntu until now (crashed occasionally under Windows), but after my upgrade to ubuntu 14.4 it crashes within seconds as soon as I start it up.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quanta Plus, Aptana, Bluefish, Amaya.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Beans

I can't find kompozer in the repos and Google web Designer opens to a featureless black screen - no menus or anything else. (Ubuntu 14.04 64bit)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by whistlerspa2 View Post
    I can't find kompozer in the repos and Google web Designer opens to a featureless black screen - no menus or anything else. (Ubuntu 14.04 64bit)
    Kompozer was dropped from the repos, since it is no longer maintained in Debian. But, you can still install it (at least on the 12.10 and 13.04 releases). See this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by whistlerspa2 View Post
    ...Google web Designer opens to a featureless black screen - no menus or anything else. (Ubuntu 14.04 64bit)
    could it be that google web designer needs 32bit libraries to run??! or perhaps it needs some other program installed such as java?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast