Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: webalizer hasn't created logs in almost a year!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: webalizer hasn't created logs in almost a year!

Thanks. Glad to hear I wasn't too far off with that article. Wrote it after reading a few similar articles that appeared to be written by non-administrator people. Seemed they completely forgot monitoring, alarming, and performance statistics gathering. I'm still using an old SysUsage version and didn't want to push folks that way until I'd migrated to the centralized version here.

We can all do a little better with our setup consistency. Doesn't matter if you are running 1 server or 20,000 - consistency matters. It doesn't matter to me HOW that is accomplished either. Following a list of commands in a paper notebook is just as good as 100% automatic setups - consistency matters more on the road to "doing it better every time."

I love the term "DevOps" ... been doing that since the early 1990s professionally. Since 2000, my slant has switched from developer-centric to admin-centric and about halfway back. From what I can tell, being good at both is hard. I'll keep trying.

Oh and using LogWatch is a good thing, if something larger doesn't fit. I use it at home.

Beans

I will definitely be reading that. Thanks for all the help guys.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rebeltaz View Post
    I will definitely be reading that. Thanks for all the help guys.
    If you see anything wrong or unclear, please let me know.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    We can all do a little better with our setup consistency. Doesn't matter if you are running 1 server or 20,000 - consistency matters. It doesn't matter to me HOW that is accomplished either. Following a list of commands in a paper notebook is just as good as 100% automatic setups - consistency matters more on the road to "doing it better every time."
    I would rather be running the same (or very similiar) setup on any servers I manage and if that means not messing with it outside of updates and scanning logs, so be it.

Of course, with that being said, I'm managing 4 Debian 7 boxes right now, so having everything running the same version of the OS is quite handy, even if each machine is slightly different.

I forgot to mention the unattended-upgrades package, which I have set to install security updates and apticron, which notifies me of available updates in the event I have an update pending that isn't security related.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

I pretty much knowhow to install a server - I've done it several times, but since my system was apparently hacked and I do not claim to know anything - started reinstalling through this guide: http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-se...ot-ispconfig-3

I did skip the DNS setup, because I didn't need that. I installed the mail components but I don't have a mail server either, nor do I really understand any of the mail setup.

Then I went through your (theFu) guide and moved on to one of the links at the bottom of your page for Bryan Kennedy's guide. I noticed that both "5 Minute" guides installs LogWatch. Is the email address used in that pushed through postfix (or dovecot) or a standard email server?

Linux, servers... I understand. mail and dns, not so much.

Once again, I appreciate y'alls help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Generally, system emails on Linux use some MTA like postfix, qmail or sendmail. There are exceptions - extremely rare. Postfix was designed as a 95% replacement for sendmail with security at the center. Sendmail can do a few things that postfix cannot, so there is a place for it when an extremely complex situation arises. I've never needed it since my first corporate email server in 1996.

Were you able to figure out how they hacked you so it won't happen again?

Avoid complexity and complex tools if they are not absolutely required.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by rebeltaz View Post
    I pretty much knowhow to install a server - I've done it several times, but since my system was apparently hacked and I do not claim to know anything - started reinstalling through this guide: http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-se...ot-ispconfig-3
    Depending on what you are hosting, leaving ispconfig or cPanel or some other web based panel out of your configuration might be a good idea. I run Nginx/php-fpm and a few other things, but I don't deal with a web frontend.

Then I went through your (theFu) guide and moved on to one of the links at the bottom of your page for Bryan Kennedy's guide. I noticed that both "5 Minute" guides installs LogWatch. Is the email address used in that pushed through postfix (or dovecot) or a standard email server?
    I use postfix and if you don't have a true mail server setup, you could set it up to relay to Gmail or something like that. I need to have my home box set up as a relay because my ISP blocks port 25, but if this box is "in the wild" you should be able to just configure postfix to send mail out.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Generally, system emails on Linux use some MTA like postfix, qmail or sendmail. There are exceptions - extremely rare. Postfix was designed as a 95% replacement for sendmail with security at the center. Sendmail can do a few things that postfix cannot, so there is a place for it when an extremely complex situation arises. I've never needed it since my first corporate email server in 1996.
    I've seen sendmail installed on Debian before, but it gets purged and postfix installed because I know how to configure postfix. In my mind, using what your know how to use instead of relying on the defaults helps tremendously, but I also do not know what sendmail can do that postfix cannot.

Were you able to figure out how they hacked you so it won't happen again?

Avoid complexity and complex tools if they are not absolutely required.
    +1. I'm a bit curious to see how the box was owned and as a general rule, only install the minimum amount of software/packages to get to job done. Anything extra can be a security risk due to unpatched vulnerabilities or lack of updates if there are not from a supported repo.
    Last edited by CharlesA; March 13th, 2014 at 04:24 PM. Reason: bad quote tag
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

I honestly have no idea. Aside from ispconfig, I had phpBB3 installed, a search engine module, a chat module and the php pages that I myself wrote. I did install WordPress, but that was a week before I posted this topic, so I know that the damage had already been done. Before I wiped it last night, I removed the search engine directory, the phpBB3 directory and the chat module directory, but I guess the damage had already been done. I don't know anything about how to hack networks, so I don't know where to look.

I am hosting three sites - the one in my signature as a hobby and two others, one for each of my company divisions - www.ShelbyCycle.com and www.ShelbyTVService.com - so ispconfig made things easier than manually editing the config files.

Before I wiped everything, I made sure that I had copies of all three site directories. When I reinstall the sites, I plan on reinstalling the search module from source code and leaving off phpBB3 as well as the chat module. I will be reinstalling WordPress, but I will reinstall it from scratch and import my posts.

I did run iftop last night after reinstalling the server and I still see that a LOT of traffic is attempting to contact the server, but instead of 30 megs being transferred in 10 minutes (my 6mb business DSL is limited to 300-400kbs upload) there was only 30 megs over an eight hour period. Just out of curiosity, will the traffic ever stop trying? I know that I had the server completely shut down for a week trying to diagnose a DSL issue and that didn't deter them..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ah ... php. Ah ... installing from source.

They will keep trying as long as your IP exists and connects. It isn't like there is a human doing it. Heck, your box was probably the command-n-control for 20% of a worldwide botnet.

I would suggest completely review of everything (machines, code, services, configurations) you put on the internet since what you did last time (and will likely do again) was not sufficient. We've all been there. This was just your turn.

Just FYI, my company doesn't allow anything with php or java to be placed on the internet. If those things are needed, then VPN is required. The core php guys have released fresh versions that had multiple, high-severity, security issues - and they knew it at release time! Shipping was more important than security. That was a key reason when we migrated off php here. Java took a little longer - it was after Oracle took over though.

I'm not certain if either of these languages is to blame. It could just be that lots of noob programmers pick up java and php and start coding for features, not security. Either way, the quality of the average java and php code out there is lessened.

Have you scanned your connection - in AND out - to see what is easily available? Might want to check all the other systems inside the same subnet. If they got shell access, they probably tried to compromise other machines too. I'd use pfSense as the firewall so that a state-full packet firewall is used. It has nice reports, will connect with many NMS and pretty graphs.

So ... installing from source makes it highly unlikely that you will patch any running services. Use the ubuntu repos and if that isn't up to date enough, use a trusted PPA. If there isn't a trusted PPA, I wouldn't use the software at all. Just sayin'. Installed settings are rarely "secure settings."

The core Wordpress code isn't that bad, but some of the addons are highly non-secure. Plus it is hard to secure any program running on a language platform with 2x more security issues than any others. Be careful.

Oh - and it isn't just me who is concerned about PHP. Here's what the OWASP guys said:
    There are, unfortunately, serious issues in all areas that make it difficult to write secure PHP applications. These are difficult to work around if you are forced to use PHP, but you need to be aware of them.
    https://www.owasp.org/index.php/PHP_...ty_Cheat_Sheet - PHP Security Cheat Sheet

I'm coming at this from a non-php programming standpoint, but I definitely am a developer AND system admin. These days I'm working on a back-end server for a few different Android apps that need to work on the internet and inside a LAN seamlessly. Security has me paranoid with these. We are NOT using any PHP.

Beans

Wow... now I'm wondering if I even want to keep running these sites!

As for the php, is it really THAT dangerous? The code I wrote doesn't rely on forms or anything fancy (to me) like that. On page, I just did it so that, as I added images to a directory, they were automatically added to the page. On the other page, I did it so that I could just keep a list of the other pages which generates the links needed since I was adding so many pages at the time.

If I were to post the code for one (it's short) could you tell me if it is a security issue?

And you are right... I am not a professional coder. I just learned what I needed to know to write the page and that was all.

Maybe I''ll leave the search function off then if that could be an issue. That is the only other code I would install outside of WordPress and I didn't/wouldn't install any addons to that.

I ran iftop on my desktop system, also connected to the subnet and I do see traffic that I don't think should be there - just not with any significant volume. Other than that, how can I tell what's going on?

I just ran nmap on my DSL modem and came back with this:
    Code:
    23/tcp    open  telnet
    25/tcp    open  smtp
    110/tcp   open  pop3
    1863/tcp  open  msnp
    5050/tcp  open  mmcc
    5190/tcp  open  aol
    8080/tcp  open  http-proxy
    50000/tcp open  iiimsf
    Ports 1863, 5050, 5190 and 50000 shouldn't be open, I wouldn't think. And interestingly, ports that I DID open (for a security camera system) 7777, 8181, 9000 and 8888 don't show up on that list. If these are not opened in the Pinholes section of the modem, how do I close them? I removed the camera ports for right now, btw.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast