Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Windows bad?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Is Windows bad?

Quote Originally Posted by moster View Post
    JKyleOKC, very interesting what you say about criminalizing efforts too dig into DOS or other closed software. Now, after all that happenings with NSA and finding out that computer camera can be turn on without user knowledge.... It all making sense now for me.
    That might be more of a conspiracy theory than actual fact, though I don't know for sure either way. The DMCA came into existence because the conventional journalism businesses wanted to make sure they could maintain their paywalls without anyone breaking in legally, and I believe that criminalizing research into closed software that wasn't primarily dealing with security was just an unexpected consequence of wording the law broadly. However I could be wrong about this...
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans

As a farely new Ubuntu user and still a Windows user as well, I think they both have their place. For instance, Windows is easier (note i didnt say better, just easier) to load games on, but Ubuntu, for me, is better for everything else. So I run a windows laptop with minecraft and halo and dirt, and use my ubuntu netbook for literally everything else. This makes my world a happy place.

Beans

I think windows is quite good except for various virus infections

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For me it all comes down to what I am doing. I love Windows and Ubuntu equally.

Gaming will always be on Windows, no matter what. I can't live without both mainstream and independent games. Add Razer Synapse for fine-tuning mouse controls across all your games seamlessly pretty much nails the coffin shut.

For everything else, Ubuntu will always be my choice. I grew-up on Apple products and hated their iron-fist control over the hardware. Ubuntu is simply the best when it comes to the *NIX families in my opinion.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Is Windows bad?

No its a perfectly usable OS with a large base of software and millions of users. I personally don't like it so I use Linux where possible. I'm typing this in my lunch break at work however using a Windows 7 machine so I do use both.

Are Microsoft in trouble?

Yes.

Why?

The PC market is in decline as the technology has improved. I no-longer own a desktop PC because my laptop does all I need. Many people now don't even need a laptop.

For what a lot of people do: Check email, Watch funny videos of cats on YouTube, a tablet or smart phone is all you need and I don't believe Windows will ever dominate that market in the same way as it dominated the PC market.

Will Apple suffer?

I don't think so few if any Windows users choose Windows: they buy a PC and just use the OS that comes with it but this is not the case for Apple. With Apple its a choice. Apple have a fan base which Microsoft doesn't have. Apple PC users will by an iPhone or an iPad. Windows PC users don't think the need Window 8 phone they may buy a Windows 8 phone but they are also likely to buy any other OS phone.

Beans

I run ubuntu on my VPS, but have Windows on everything else, windows may not be open source but there are tons of programs made for it that are. And honestly their operating systems are getting cheaper and they are offering monthly and yearly services when it comes to Microsoft office now.

Beans

Well it depends on what your use and purpose for it is. Mac is generally easy to use, Windows is on a intermediate level unless you have been with the OS family for years.

Beans

Yes it is if you try to dual boot especially Windows 8, as it imposes all kinds of restrictions on how you can install your Linux system(s). So I really cannot agree with advice for dual booting. Put up with the necessary evil only if you actually need Windows, if not, get rid of it as it makes installation, partition and cloning etc very inflexible. It is foolish to tie a heavy mill around your neck just because 'you paid for it'.

I would say MicroSoft is bad, it is one of the worst enemies for opennesss and open standard. Apple at least is a self sustaining ecology and doesn't go out of its way to undermine open standard,-- at least not as much, despite the control freak behaviour in its own domain. MS tenicles are everywhere. So because MS requires secure boot all of us have to play along even though we may not even want Windows on our machines. MicroSoft is an unimaginative, uninnovative monopoly that screws and gobbles up everything in its way, it is the poster boy of predatory capitalism.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; April 6th, 2014 at 08:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Hill View Post
    Is Windows bad?

No its a perfectly usable OS with a large base of software and millions of users. I personally don't like it so I use Linux where possible. I'm typing this in my lunch break at work however using a Windows 7 machine so I do use both.

Are Microsoft in trouble?

Yes.

Why?

The PC market is in decline as the technology has improved. I no-longer own a desktop PC because my laptop does all I need. Many people now don't even need a laptop.

For what a lot of people do: Check email, Watch funny videos of cats on YouTube, a tablet or smart phone is all you need and I don't believe Windows will ever dominate that market in the same way as it dominated the PC market.

Will Apple suffer?

I don't think so few if any Windows users choose Windows: they buy a PC and just use the OS that comes with it but this is not the case for Apple. With Apple its a choice. Apple have a fan base which Microsoft doesn't have. Apple PC users will by an iPhone or an iPad. Windows PC users don't think the need Window 8 phone they may buy a Windows 8 phone but they are also likely to buy any other OS phone.
    Mostly agree.

I don't necessarily think the PC market is in long term decline though.

Sales have slowed throughout the economic downturn, but so have most other durable goods, and I think the all the doom and gloom for PC sales is a little premature.

Mobile ARM based phones and tables are DEFINITELY a larger and faster growing market (by quite a wide margin) but that doesn't mean that the traditional PC is going away, or even going to shrink from a userbase standpoint. I foresee a future PC market that continues to grow, just not as fast as phones and tablets.

In a way it's like how the PC gaming market changed with the advent of more capable consoles. PC gaming continued to grow, but was outpaced by console gaming, and the content gradually changed over time. More and more titles on the PC were ports of original console titles rather than the other way around. (admittedly to the dismay of many seasoned gamers on the PC platform) Does that mean PC gaming is dead? On the contrary, it's alive and has more titles and more powerful hardware than ever. Good PC exclusive titles continue to be released taking advantage of the significantly more powerful PC hardware, and to that we also have a plethora of console ports to distract ourselves with.

On the business side of things, I think there will be a need for full fledged x86-type computing for many decades to come. The percentage of desktops will give away to a percentage of laptops which will give away to a percentage of tablets and phones, but I don't think any of them will go away completely or even shrink in absolute numbers.

As for me? I don't own my own Laptop. I get one through work, otherwise I wouldn't have one. I'm a home-built desktop (and server) guy all the way, and I can't imagine changing my ways. Do I own a smartphone and tablet? Yes I do (LG G2 and Nexus 7 2013) but I mostly use them for little silly things, like vegging on the couch while watching a movie, or in car navigation using Waze. Whenever I have to do any real work, type anything longer than a sentence or (which I rarely have time for anymore) play a game, only a PC will do, and preferably by far my desktop.

I know I'm a rather atypical user, in that I have two desktops (Main rig in my office, plus HTPC connected to my TV in my living room) as well as a server in my basement, a laptop on loan from work and a tablet and smartphone, but not too long ago just owning a PC AT ALL made you an atypical user, and the PC industry still was able to survive with plenty of hardware and software diversity.

PC use will change, no doubt. I just doubt it's going anywhere. Market percentage will (and has) undoubtedly shrink, but absolute market size (both in dollars and in units) will probably grow.

Time will - however - tell.
    Last edited by mattlach; April 6th, 2014 at 10:47 PM.
    I only use LTS releases, and mostly for servers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Yes it is if you try to dual boot especially Windows 8, as it imposes all kinds of restrictions on how you can install your Linux system(s). So I really cannot agree with advice for dual booting. Put up with the necessary evil only if you actually need Windows, if not, get rid of it as it makes installation, partition and cloning etc very inflexible. It is foolish to tie a heavy mill around your neck just because 'you paid for it'.

I would say MicroSoft is bad, it is one of the worst enemies for opennesss and open standard. Apple at least is a self sustaining ecology and doesn't go out of its way to undermine open standard,-- at least not as much, despite the control freak behaviour in its own domain. MS tenicles are everywhere. So because MS requires secure boot all of us have to play along even though we may not even want Windows on our machines. MicroSoft is an unimaginative, uninnovative monopoly that screws and gobbles up everything in its way, it is the poster boy of predatory capitalism.
    What has Apple provided Open Source lately (CUPS was years ago)? Heck, even Google hasn't done too much other than be willing to support Flash in its Chrome browser when Adobe abandons developing for Linux. But have they given Linux users the promised Google Drive and not forced using a 3rd party app? Microsoft is no friend to open source, but heck they are open sourcing .NET recently.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast