Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Windows bad?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Is Windows bad?

All operating systems are good, in their own ways. It's like choosing a type of pen, one type is for calligraphy, one type for writing, and one type for drawing. They all have their pros and cons and work for a specific type of person.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
    Mostly agree.

I don't necessarily think the PC market is in long term decline though.

Sales have slowed throughout the economic downturn, but so have most other durable goods, and I think the all the doom and gloom for PC sales is a little premature.

Mobile ARM based phones and tables are DEFINITELY a larger and faster growing market (by quite a wide margin) but that doesn't mean that the traditional PC is going away, or even going to shrink from a userbase standpoint. I foresee a future PC market that continues to grow, just not as fast as phones and tablets.

In a way it's like how the PC gaming market changed with the advent of more capable consoles. PC gaming continued to grow, but was outpaced by console gaming, and the content gradually changed over time. More and more titles on the PC were ports of original console titles rather than the other way around. (admittedly to the dismay of many seasoned gamers on the PC platform) Does that mean PC gaming is dead? On the contrary, it's alive and has more titles and more powerful hardware than ever. Good PC exclusive titles continue to be released taking advantage of the significantly more powerful PC hardware, and to that we also have a plethora of console ports to distract ourselves with.

On the business side of things, I think there will be a need for full fledged x86-type computing for many decades to come. The percentage of desktops will give away to a percentage of laptops which will give away to a percentage of tablets and phones, but I don't think any of them will go away completely or even shrink in absolute numbers.

As for me? I don't own my own Laptop. I get one through work, otherwise I wouldn't have one. I'm a home-built desktop (and server) guy all the way, and I can't imagine changing my ways. Do I own a smartphone and tablet? Yes I do (LG G2 and Nexus 7 2013) but I mostly use them for little silly things, like vegging on the couch while watching a movie, or in car navigation using Waze. Whenever I have to do any real work, type anything longer than a sentence or (which I rarely have time for anymore) play a game, only a PC will do, and preferably by far my desktop.

I know I'm a rather atypical user, in that I have two desktops (Main rig in my office, plus HTPC connected to my TV in my living room) as well as a server in my basement, a laptop on loan from work and a tablet and smartphone, but not too long ago just owning a PC AT ALL made you an atypical user, and the PC industry still was able to survive with plenty of hardware and software diversity.

PC use will change, no doubt. I just doubt it's going anywhere. Market percentage will (and has) undoubtedly shrink, but absolute market size (both in dollars and in units) will probably grow.

Time will - however - tell.
    I know desktop & laptop sales have slowed. It's harder to measure use though. Any midrange desktop or laptop P.C. purchased in the past 5 years or more is perfectly capable of performing 98% of the tasks of 90% of users. It's no longer necessary to upgrade machines every 3 years because the current machine is inadequate. I have 2 mid 2000s Core2duo laptops, one early 2000s PIII laptop, an HP netbook and 2 mid 2000s desktops. All the laptops except 1 were cheap or free. Any of the listed machines except the PIII laptop will perform any task I need. I'm not helping sales figures much, though. Once smart phones/tablets become 'good enough' and development slows, I wouldn't be surprised to see that market cool as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    I know desktop & laptop sales have slowed. It's harder to measure use though. Any midrange desktop or laptop P.C. purchased in the past 5 years or more is perfectly capable of performing 98% of the tasks of 90% of users. It's no longer necessary to upgrade machines every 3 years because the current machine is inadequate. I have 2 mid 2000s Core2duo laptops, one early 2000s PIII laptop, an HP netbook and 2 mid 2000s desktops. All the laptops except 1 were cheap or free. Any of the listed machines except the PIII laptop will perform any task I need. I'm not helping sales figures much, though. Once smart phones/tablets become 'good enough' and development slows, I wouldn't be surprised to see that market cool as well.
    Windows is finding serious competition from Chromebooks and that is in part because people don't need more power anymore... mid-range systems are more than capable of handling things especially when so much of it can be done in the cloud.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

I think it depends on what you mean by bad. Windows has been solid for me. However I tend to agree with Richard Stallman on some things. Our privacy is in serious danger and its not good that a single company has such a huge chunk of the desktop share with proprietary software.

As for the decline of the desktop? I guess but its only because computers are becoming smaller. Touch screens might be ok on a phone or tablet but not something I would want to use at home on a regular basis. I couldn't get my wife to use ubuntu but she is crazy about the chromebook. I could see myself moving from desktop to laptop someday.

I would like to see most devices not require a pc at all anymore. Many items still require you to plug into a windows pc. Updating a garmin, firmware updates for my neato vaccum, etc.

Beans

Windows costs me lots of money, Linux does not [but I can donate if I want]. To me that's what matters

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbaerboc View Post
    Windows costs me lots of money, Linux does not [but I can donate if I want]. To me that's what matters
    And on the flip side I have a Windows Phone because it was cheaper than any Android or iPhone. So to me it's getting the most usability for the lowest cost.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jedispork View Post
    I would like to see most devices not require a pc at all any more. Many items still require you to plug into a windows pc. Updating a garmin, firmware updates for my neato vaccum, etc.
    That will change. Everything requires Windows today because it dominates the desktop but that's changing I know plenty of ex XP users who instead of getting a new computer or upgrading the OS have decided to throw it out and get a tablet instead.

A lot of people just don't need a PC but they still want to have a facebook page and to watch funny kitten videos on youtube for which a tablet is ideal.

As more people switch there will be an Android App for things like firmware updates.

Some people however do need a computer and I expect that includes most of us on this forum so the PC wont go away but will continue to decline for some time to come.

Beans

Windows is EPIC!!

Alright, as you say it isn't open-source but why would you want open-source?

And, yes, there have been some(a lot) of complaints about Windows 8(all rubbish to me), which is strange in my mind because it's beautiful and easy to use, but, to be honest, it depends on what you want it for;

Gaming = Lubuntu because it's lightweight

Programming = Programmers like to use Linux (no idea why)

Surfing the 'net = Windows 8

To sum it up I'd just use Windows all the way.

Bye,
    DreddTrekkiter

Beans

Windows isnt bad for not having open source, They just dont want people to take theyre ideas and use them as theyre own,
    If you want a faster operating system i suggest lubuntu, Its fast and simple (and open source like all other linux OS)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Hill View Post
    A lot of people just don't need a PC but they still want to have a facebook page and to watch funny kitten videos on youtube for which a tablet is ideal.
    And type emails and occasional documents... which makes Chromebooks a great alternative as well.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast