Thread: How can we view our ubuntu server on our internal network through the browser?

Beans

How can we view our ubuntu server on our internal network through the browser?

Hi,

How can we view our ubuntu server (Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS) on our internal network through the browser? For example...

Code:
    ionadmin@GQZ0QS1:/results/plugins$ ls
    Alignment         ERCC_Analysis  FilterDuplicates  IonReporterUploader  plugin_functions  sampleID  TorrentSuiteCloud
    coverageAnalysis  FileExporter   implementations   IonTorrentPanel1     RunRecognitION    scratch   variantCaller
    I want to physically type in my browser a name associated with the server http://testing.aib.com/results/plugins and see all the directories in my browser.

Thanks,
    J

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How can we view our ubuntu server on our internal network through the browser?

Simple way you could do that is add to your /etc/hosts

Code:
    <LAN-ip address-to-server> testing.aib.com <any-other-names> <go-here-that-you-want> <separate-them-by-a-space>
    Or the more advanced way would be to setup a BIND server on your network and use that with manual entries.

The hosts entries would need to be entered on each computer needing to connect. Whereas the BIND setup would cover everyone on the network as it would be your DNS server. However setting up BIND could be annoying and is more permanent on the network.

For the handling of showing files you would either need to configure apache or nginx (depending on what one you prefer) to handle displaying the directories contents.

Hope that helps!
    ~Caboose
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss
    "No man has ever seen his dreams fulfilled and regretted the sacrifice necessary to fulfill them" -- Mattie Montgomery