Thread: Soundcloud and html5

Beans

Soundcloud and html5

Hi,

I am able to listen to Soundcloud in html5 if I disable flash in Firefox. But if I set it to "ask to activate" then none of the tracks would play and instead there is box nagging me to activate flash. I thought Soundcloud has switched to html5 as default. There is no obvious cue to choose player on soundcloud, does anyone know if there is a way to use html5 even when flash is not disabled?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Soundcloud and html5

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Hi,

I am able to listen to Soundcloud in html5 if I disable flash in Firefox. But if I set it to "ask to activate" then none of the tracks would play and instead there is box nagging me to activate flash. I thought Soundcloud has switched to html5 as default. There is no obvious cue to choose player on soundcloud, does anyone know if there is a way to use html5 even when flash is not disabled?

Thanks
    Hello, I use Chrome, so my Firefox has absolutely no tweaked config. I've had a quick look at the prefs menu. I know I can search how to disable flash and ask to activate, but would you please tell me what you did exactly so that I try to reproduce ? Thanks.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Here is what I have.
    If I do not go to reactivate flash from the plugin menu, the soundcloud homepage file does not play.

http://blog.soundcloud.com/2011/11/03/html5/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    J'aime les fraises.

| Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Hi,

For Firefox:
    If flash is activated then it plays in flash.
    If flash is disabled then it plays in html5.
    If flash is set to 'ask to activate' then it doesn't play, instead there is a box saying that you appear to have a flash blocker and please unblock flash. So html5 doesn't kick in unless flash is completely disabled (unlike e.g vimeo where it always plays in html5 if flash is disabled or set to "ask to activate", it only loads flash if it is "always activate")

In Chrome I have no way to tell whether it is playing in flash or html5 if I just uncheck the box "always enabled" because it may or may not be the same as "ask to activate" in Firefox. In some sites it may ask you to allow flash, in some it just activate automatically.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; March 11th, 2014 at 09:59 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Hi,

For Firefox:
    If flash is activated then it plays in flash.
    If flash is disabled then it plays in html5.
    If flash is set to 'ask to activate' then it doesn't play, instead there is a box saying that you appear to have a flash blocker and please unblock flash. So html5 doesn't kick in unless flash is completely disabled (unlike e.g vimeo where it always plays in html5 if flash is disabled or set to "ask to activate", it only loads flash if it is "always activate")

In Chrome I have no way to tell whether it is playing in flash or html5 if I just uncheck the box "always enabled" because it may or may not be the same as "ask to activate" in Firefox. In some sites it may ask you to allow flash, in some it just activate automatically.
    I see the same when I tested FF, if that can help.
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]