Thread: Cannot kill program with command lines

Beans

Cannot kill program with command lines

Sometimes a program stops responding but I can't kill it on the the terminal with either killall foo or kill pid. But open the system monitor and click "kill process" always works. I am wondering what is the command used by system monitor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Cannot kill program with command lines

Have you tried

Code:
    pkill foo
    = Fit as a butcher's dog =

Beans

No, will see if that works if this happens next time. Since it happens rarely I don't know when it will be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The default setting for 'kill' merely tells the program that it would be nice if it could please shut down. If the program is completely hung up, the normal kill won't do anything.

There are different levels of kill but most of them rely on the program listening for the signal and reacting. The only sure-fire way to absolutely kill a program that is not responding is:

kill -9 <pid>
    With the -9 option, kill actually tells the kernel to "end this program NOW", which always works. Obviously the program won't ask you if you want to save open documents, finish writing config files or complete a printing operation, so only use it when you have to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think the default settings for the previous methods tried by the OP are -15, which is the Terminate signal. This works in most cases when the program is still running and not in a "crashed" state. "Terminate" is good to use because any open files get closed properly. -9 (Kill with prejudice) signal is effective, but you do run the risk of unfinished business.

From the killall man page:

DESCRIPTION
    killall sends a signal to all processes running any of the specified commands. If no signal name is specified, SIGTERM is sent.
    SIGTERM is flag -15, which is the polite termination flag.

From the kill man page:

DESCRIPTION
    The default signal for kill is TERM.
    TERM is another name for the polite termination signal (-15).

To see the process flags available, try killing a process with htop:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install htop
    Last edited by tgalati4; March 11th, 2014 at 03:23 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Sometimes a program stops responding but I can't kill it on the the terminal with either killall foo or kill pid. But open the system monitor and click "kill process" always works. I am wondering what is the command used by system monitor.
    For that it's worth, I've always used:

Code:
    xkill
    which turns the cursor into an "X", which, if you click on the misbehaving program, instantly shuts it down. It's never failed me, that I can remember.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    The default setting for 'kill' merely tells the program that it would be nice if it could please shut down. If the program is completely hung up, the normal kill won't do anything.

There are different levels of kill but most of them rely on the program listening for the signal and reacting. The only sure-fire way to absolutely kill a program that is not responding is:

With the -9 option, kill actually tells the kernel to "end this program NOW", which always works. Obviously the program won't ask you if you want to save open documents, finish writing config files or complete a printing operation, so only use it when you have to.

+1 to kill -9
    Google First your issue , if no solution then ask.

రాజ శేఖర్ రెడ్డి

Beans

Thanks for all the reponses. I think I get the explanation now so I will mark this thread as solved.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    One possible approach is to open a terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T) and enter
    Code:
    Then find the pid (xyz) of the process you want to kill. Now, remaining in top, enter
    Code:
    k xyz
    Top always works for me. Of course, this isn't exactly the solution you were seeking.
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.