Thread: Ubuntu server as very simple VM host

Beans

Ubuntu server as very simple VM host

I'm planning to buy new hardware for my little home server. Now I want to make this server be my router (dual NIC, IPTABLES), samba share, LAMP, Bittorrent Sync client, etc. I also want to use it as a very simple host for one or two virtual machines. Now my questions are:
    1. What software is available for ubuntu? About five years ago I experimented with vmware, but what is the default nowadays?
    2. Do I need special hardware requirements for this?

As said above: I'm planning to run one or two virtual machines on the Ubuntu server (as host). Nothing special, maybe a Windows 7 and maybe a Ubuntu desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Ubuntu server as very simple VM host

Your computer CPU should support Virtualization technology. Almost all modern processors support this. Also, you should have enough RAM on you server to run the virtual machines at least 4GB-6GB.
    Then you need to install packages on your server for virtualization such as the KVM packages.
    See this tutorial for managing virtual machines. http://www.howtogeek.com/117635/how-...nes-on-ubuntu/
    Using Ubuntu virtual machine manager, you can manage the virtual machines of your server from you ubuntu desktop computer without the need for complex codes in creating virtual machines.

Beans

Thanks big time! Very helpfull! However one additional question: is there also a Mac client available to access the Virtual Machines running on my (headless) Ubuntu server?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I don't know of any. I'm using Ubuntu desktop for controlling the VMs in the headless Ubuntu server.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by smeerbartje View Post
    I'm planning to buy new hardware for my little home server. Now I want to make this server be my router (dual NIC, IPTABLES), samba share, LAMP, Bittorrent Sync client, etc. I also want to use it as a very simple host for one or two virtual machines. Now my questions are:
    1. What software is available for ubuntu? About five years ago I experimented with vmware, but what is the default nowadays?
    2. Do I need special hardware requirements for this?

As said above: I'm planning to run one or two virtual machines on the Ubuntu server (as host). Nothing special, maybe a Windows 7 and maybe a Ubuntu desktop.
    I would suggest virt-manager+qemu (KVM)
    You can easily then run virt-manager (gui) and manage the VMs from there.

If you want to setup a _full_ virtual machine host, try Proxmox (which has a nice online interface where you can configure and open a VNC console into your VMs)
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

Thanks; will have a look at it.