Hi I joined this forum so I could express my frustration with Ubuntu. I just wanted to use DD to make an image of a hard drive. I'm booting ubuntu from a flash drive. I believe in the concept of open source software but I don't like anything about using it. I have a hard time learning about Linux in the first place. The little I do learn becomes obsolete because everything changes and I'm left with something that I can browse the net with. Windows will browse the web just fine. I am going to need to have this done by a professional because I can't figure it out. If I pose my questions in a Google search I can see that others are looking for the same information, like how to open a command prompt or how to identify the physical drives attached to the system. For the first one I find that I need to strike the windows key and use a hidden search. What kind of nonsense is this? What ever happened to a command shell icon? As for the physical drive question I can see that people who are responding are confused by it. So even experienced users don't know that we need to be able to figure out how the OS designates the dives. Which drive is hda or whatever you call it now? Probably called something else now because keeping consistent nomenclature is probably just as gauche as a user friendly GUI. Ubuntu is never going to be more than a novelty and the less I see of it the better.