Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu is no fun

Beans

Thumbs down ubuntu is no fun

Hi I joined this forum so I could express my frustration with Ubuntu. I just wanted to use DD to make an image of a hard drive. I'm booting ubuntu from a flash drive. I believe in the concept of open source software but I don't like anything about using it. I have a hard time learning about Linux in the first place. The little I do learn becomes obsolete because everything changes and I'm left with something that I can browse the net with. Windows will browse the web just fine. I am going to need to have this done by a professional because I can't figure it out. If I pose my questions in a Google search I can see that others are looking for the same information, like how to open a command prompt or how to identify the physical drives attached to the system. For the first one I find that I need to strike the windows key and use a hidden search. What kind of nonsense is this? What ever happened to a command shell icon? As for the physical drive question I can see that people who are responding are confused by it. So even experienced users don't know that we need to be able to figure out how the OS designates the dives. Which drive is hda or whatever you call it now? Probably called something else now because keeping consistent nomenclature is probably just as gauche as a user friendly GUI. Ubuntu is never going to be more than a novelty and the less I see of it the better.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: ubuntu is no fun

OK.

Thanks for your input.

Not a support request. Moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.
    Last edited by QIII; March 8th, 2014 at 06:20 AM.

Beans

Well if you bother to post to ask for help instead of just complaining you may get better advice. dd is a hard (and risky) way to clone your hard drive, there are many easier and safer solutions if you have bothered to ask.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It looks to me like you'd be better off with one of the more Windows like derivatives like Xubuntu or Lubuntu, that have a more Window XP type interface.

As far as what you have learned becoming obsolete, you mentioned you wanted to use dd to duplicate a partition, I started using a Linux distribution in 1998, and most of the commands I've learned since then still work today. A simple Ctrl-Alt-F2 would drop you to a command line, where you can use the command line to your hearts content.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ubuntu Rocks!!!

i am running Kernel 3.13.6 on Ubuntu 13.10, and just figured out how to build debian files.
    no more windows for me, wher i completely lost in the directurystructure.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ratchetman View Post
    If I pose my questions in a Google search I can see that others are looking for the same information, like how to open a command prompt or how to identify the physical drives attached to the system.
    oh you want widnows like interface? try Lubutnu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu

it's different than Windows for sure.

rather than start off usign something knew as i am the master in the topic i prefer to read about the thing i will be using a bit first. for exampel Ubuntu has a very good community made manual available. with pics, simple explanations for beginners etc. so i would start there to see how the system actually operates before moving to google and forums.

biut then again there is always intuitive windows8 interface for those that prefer intuitive interfaces.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Yes, Ubuntu is no fun.... Windows is much more thrilling !
    You never know what comes next, a virus, spyware, malware, system crash, Wacom needs a driver that I cant get hold of, oh my, there is not much to do in Ubuntu is there ! !
    In Windows, You really have to search so hard for the Windows button , yes that too!!!

Wonder how all of us using it will survive being ignorant of the great & almighty Windows !

But then again, we do survive.
    And really, you didn't have to take the pains of joining the forum to let out your frustration at Ubuntu, could have found better audience at any Windows forum.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I agree with the others that the DD command is risky, do take precautions when using that command, one wrong letter and bye bye drive data. Let me explain the drive lettering:

For IDE Drives they use /dev/hdX# e.g. /dev/hda1
    For USB & Sata drives they use /dev/sdX# e.g. /dev/sda4

The Windows key is for Windows, its called Super in Linux and unless you map it to something specific it's nothing more than just a key on the keyboard. Linux is NOT Windows. Ubuntu uses it to open the Dash menu.

The command shell icon??? Do you mean CLI - command line interface? If so, in Linux it's called a terminal. Windows it's called command prompt. Mac it's called terminal.

The OS designates the drives depending on what drive it is in the system - primary or secondary or what other drives take precedence before it. e.g.
    1st drive is /dev/sda
    2nd drive is /dev/sdb
    3rd drive is /dev/sdc
    etc. etc. etc.

If you need to look at your drives to see the partitions on it, try using gparted it's in the Software Center. If you feel Ubuntu isn't for you, look into Kubuntu, Lubuntu or Xubuntu. Xubuntu is more like the classic Gnome look but it's XFCE not Gnome. Lubuntu uses LXDE and Kubuntu uses KDE. Each have their own special characteristics.

If you don't like using Open Source Software don't use the Internet, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, or play a variety of games, heck be careful using Windows cause they all use some form of Open Source Software. Maybe just a few things for archive compression to advanced file-system items. Open Source is in Android, iPhone, Windows Phone, and a ton of every day technological items you use daily.

If you have questions ask, if they're duplicate that's been asked before hundreds of times, oh well, well help you or point you to more up to date information. We are a community here and we'll gladly help you out in any way shape or form that we can, but you need to ask for help.

I hope in time you'll see the value of Linux and Open Source.

As for the others:

Please be kind and courteous, try to help others instead of using sarcastic remarks.
    Where's [slooksterpsv] been? - I had Catastrophic partition alignment failure. I lost 90%+ of my data, and just now got it back fixed and working.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Hi Ratchetman,

I have to agree with the others that have suggested trying Xubuntu, Lubuntu or Kubuntu instead. I agree that recent Ubuntu is not for everyone - although some people love it, I felt it to be the most user hostile desktop I have ever tried. My personal favourite is Xubuntu, but they are all good, all different and it's a matter of taste. If you haven't compared them before, you will be astonished just how different they can be and still have the same OS underneath.

As for the physical drives question, that can be tricky. I gather that Linux numbers the drives in the order that they are discovered during boot. I wonder how windows does it, if you think that's so different? I do know that windows sometimes denies the existence of partitions, or gets their type wrong. I've never seen Linux do that. A long time ago, Linux used to call hard drives hda, hdb etc, but for a long time now (10 years or more at a guess) it has called them sda, sdb etc. You're not confusing drives with partitions are you? This command (once you get a command prompt up) will give you a listing of all the drives and partitions:
    Code:
    sudo parted -l
    and you can't get a more self-explanatory listing than that.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by ratchetman View Post
    Ubuntu is never going to be more than a novelty and the less I see of it the better.
    The Ubuntu distribution is more than just the Ubuntu flavour.

See http://www.ubuntu.com/about/about-ubuntu/derivatives.

I've used most of them in my time here. Some I will always use, some I will never use. It's all about choice and personal preference. You need to take a little time to research them and/or try them out before making such statements like the one that I quoted.
    I'm part of a small team that produce the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter. We always need help so why not come and join us?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast