Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: have you got a really old computer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: have you got a really old computer

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    You should not need update-grub to boot into this system, but if you boot from another drive, and want to include this drive into that drive's grub menu, yes, update-grub.

And vice versa.

-o-

And the bootloader need not be installed (so no grub-install should be necessary). This installer does not write anything to any other drive, it only [expands the compressed file and] clones to the target drive.

-o-

What happens? I mean is there any sign of life (for example any output to the screen), when you try to boot Trusty from the where it is installed?

Thanks for clarifiying the GRuB questions.

When I boot that NEC with the .iso installed on it , all I get is a cursor. I swapped the drive to another machine and it tells me BOOT DISK ERROR, Please ENTER .. etc..

It is ... ummm 6:30 am EST (DST) here. Have to get ready for Sunday duties I'll be back at this soon. It looks very promising and ran quite fast from the CD so I can imagine that it is very thrifty on a real install.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

... and in a more polished version, there should be a desktop icon that starts the installation (so that you need not mark and paste to get mkusb running).

What do you think of running as root?
    root is just fine as an experimental.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    There were no errors. The hdd will not boot from that bridge. I had the hdd connected during the install. It will not boot but PLOP does recognize the partitions. I took the drive to another PC and tried to install GRuB but that will not work either.

I am going to try another hdd with EIDE cable (80) and go through the documents. There could be a hardware problem here at my end. I have also two more PI166HMZ systems in my shop . One with 128MB RAM.. so I'll be doing some swapping around. I'll keep at the original install too. I'll look over the docs again. Must be something I missed.

Regards..
    I don't think you need to install grub ... I'll read the other posts too ...

Beans
    Hidden!

I suggest that you try with boot options according to post #39:

remove quiet splash
    add text (I needed the mem option, you use all your RAM)

If you cannot access the grub menu (there might be a bug in that daily build of Trusty), you must do it when booted from another system, and change the file

Code:
    /mount-point/boot/grub/grub.cfg
    Or do it with the drive connected to a newer computer (and due to persistence and portability, the boot options should be there, when you move the drive back to the NEC.

If this is too complicated, I could make a Lubuntu Trusty non-pae system, that boots into a text screen (like the installer). That system can be tested with old systems to make sure that the kernel really works without PAE. There might be some other capability, that such old CPUs lack, who knows.

Beans
    Distro

remove quiet splash

If you cannot access the grub menu (there might be a bug in that daily build of Trusty), you must do it when booted from another system, and change the file

Code:
    Or do it with the drive connected to a newer computer (and due to persistence and portability, the boot options should be there, when you move the drive back to the NEC.

If this is too complicated, I could make a Lubuntu Trusty non-pae system, that boots into a text screen (like the installer). That system can be tested with old systems to make sure that the kernel really works without PAE. There might be some other capability, that such old CPUs lack, who knows.
    No.. not complicated at all. If fact .. that is exactly what I thought but you thought it first.

Sounds like the right solution. I'll be back a little later.

Beans
    Distro

remove quiet splash

Code:

Plop tells me "NO VALID BOOT SIGNATURE".

However, my BIOS is telling me that I only have 8545MBs on a 30GBhdd so there must be something wrong with the disk size . I am going to try another hdd.

edit: I was able to edit the grub.cfg but to no avail.
    Last edited by ventrical; March 9th, 2014 at 06:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I put the hdd in another , more recent PC.

what is this?

Code:
    tester-SATALLITE-PRO-C850-19w login:
    edit :belay the above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and below

How do I login?

edit:; Let me know if this aspect is worth pursuing. I want to get on with another install attempt.
    Last edited by ventrical; March 9th, 2014 at 06:47 PM. Reason: belay this message

Beans
    Distro

Plop tells me "NO VALID BOOT SIGNATURE".

However, my BIOS is telling me that I only have 8545MBs on a 30GBhdd so there must be something wrong with the disk size . I am going to try another hdd.

edit: I was able to edit the grub.cfg but to no avail.
    edit: Belay the above ^^^^^

Beans
    Distro

I am doing a fresh install using another hdd. A Western Digital 7.5 GB WD Caviar 75AA. There appears to have been a problem on my end here. I still think I can use the 30GB drive but I wanted to take a backstep first to a smaller drive. There is a proceedure when installing hdds in BIOS and when choosing AUTO one has to move back to setup and press enter for the new parameters to register correctly... so we will see. So far this new hdd is detecting correctly in BIOS.

so far so good ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80_6C...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by ventrical; March 9th, 2014 at 07:01 PM. Reason: you tube spin..

Beans
    Hidden!

I put the hdd in another , more recent PC.

what is this?

Code:
    tester-SATALLITE-PRO-C850-19w login:
    edit :belay the above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and below

How do I login?

edit:; Let me know if this aspect is worth pursuing. I want to get on with another install attempt.
    user: tester
    password: 123456

The system was originally installed on my Toshiba SATALLITE-PRO-C850-19w with Intel i5, and now we are testing it on a machine several generations older

It does work in my IBM Thinkpad T42 with Pentium M without a PAE flag.

The reason I installed in the Toshiba is that it is fast, almost no waiting, and since it it portable ...

Of course, a more polished system will not have a hostname reminding of that.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast