Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: have you got a really old computer

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: have you got a really old computer

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Yep .. thats it .. it is installing now. I'll get back a little later. It is a little confusing , the langauge that is as it presumes that the 'u' may toggle USB to fix, but , then the other dialog comes up for to install image to hdd, but one would not expect this (uless the manuals had been thuroughly read lol
    Yes, I admit that in this case USB is not the main target, so toggle USB could be removed in a special version of mkusb for 9w.

Just awesome really .. on such an old beast of a machine, But that NEC machine had an option in the BIOS to disable DOS and enable UNIX .. so maybe that was a helper for sure

Regards..
    Yes, the machine is doing quite well considering the age and low specs. I bet it was a monster computer once upon a time

BTW, I uploaded 2 more screenshots to the previous post, which might help the next guy to try.

And after installation, we'll see if Trusty is as successful as the installer. I think it should at least run in text mode.

Edit - just a reminder of the specs: NEC Ready 9710 with Pentium MMX 166MHz 32bit virtual/physical, and 80 GB RAM.
    Last edited by sudodus; March 8th, 2014 at 11:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Yes, I admit that in this case USB is not the main target, so toggle USB could be removed in a special version of mkusb for 9w.

Yes, the machine is doing quite well considering the age and low specs. I bet it was a monster computer once upon a time

BTW, I uploaded 2 more screenshots to the previous post, which might help the next guy to try.

And after installation, we'll see if Trusty is as successful as the installer. I think it should at least run in text mode.

Edit - just a reminder of the specs: NEC Ready 9710 with Pentium MMX 166MHz 32bit virtual/physical, and 80 GB RAM.
    Yes.

I may need some extra help. During the process of installation it (the installer) more or less took over the whole drive and proceeded to format it. There were two other partitions on it. One was a swap partition. I am assuming that is gone now. So then I will have to use Gparted to make a swap partition?
    Last edited by ventrical; March 8th, 2014 at 11:11 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

... and in a more polished version, there should be a desktop icon that starts the installation (so that you need not mark and paste to get mkusb running).

What do you think of running as root?

Beans
    Distro

It had the unique ability to be able to clone drives effectively. I used it for the sole purpose of cloning an install of WinXP, to keep one copy always pure. No other PC I had at the time could do it effectively.

So now it looks like it is back to work on another mission.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes.

I may need some extra help. During the process of installation it (the installer) more or less took over the whole drive and proceeded to format it. There were two other partitions on it. One was a swap partition. I am assuming that is gone now. So then I will have to use Gparted to make a swap partition?
    The installer is simply cloning a portable installed system (similar to flashing a system to a mobile phone). So it will clone a system using 4 GB disk space with a root partition and a swap partition. If the installer starts to format it explicitly, something is wrong. It should simply clone alias flash with dd under the hood of the mkusb shell-script.

After that, you can move the swap partition to the end of the drive and grow the root partiiton. See the pdf-file describing it GrowIt.pdf
    Last edited by sudodus; March 9th, 2014 at 06:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro

The installer is simply cloning a portable installed system (similar to flashing a system to a mobile phone). So it will clone a system using 4 GB disk space with a root partition and a swap partition. If the installer starts to format it explicitly, something is wrong. It should simply clone alias flash with dd under the hood of the mkusb shell-script.

After that, you can move the swap partition to the end of the drive and grow the root partiiton. See the pdf-file describing it GrowIt.pdf!
    You are correct. But it would not boot after the install. I stuck the hdd on my USB to IDE bridge and got this:

edit:

I think that the problem is that on that machine , the Maxtor 30GB is too big .. so I'll try with another drive tommorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ventrical; March 9th, 2014 at 12:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro

This will be interesting

The iso file, that I intend to upload contains 'everything needed' to flash an installed system (which will be booting from grub).

Ahh .. so naturally i forgot to

update-grub

?

Beans
    Hidden!

You are correct. But it would not boot after the install. I stuck the hdd on my USB to IDE bridge and got this:

edit:

I think that the problem is that on that machine , the Maxtor 30GB is too big .. so I'll try with another drive tommorrow.
    The partition table seems OK. Did the installation - cloning - finish properly (without any error)?

Will the computer boot from that bridge? Can you connect the drive internally or boot via Plop?

Beans
    Hidden!

Ahh .. so naturally i forgot to

update-grub

?
    You should not need update-grub to boot into this system, but if you boot from another drive, and want to include this drive into that drive's grub menu, yes, update-grub.

And vice versa.

-o-

And the bootloader need not be installed (so no grub-install should be necessary). This installer does not write anything to any other drive, it only [expands the compressed file and] clones to the target drive.

-o-

What happens? I mean is there any sign of life (for example any output to the screen), when you try to boot Trusty from the where it is installed?

Edit: Testing in my IBM Thinkpad T42 with Pentium M without a PAE flag, I reduced the available RAM with the boot option mem=80M, but I changed other boot options too.

removed boot options:
    Code:
    quiet splash
    added boot options:
    Code:
    text mem=80M
    This (80 MB) was the lowest RAM, that worked for me. I tried mem=64M, and it did not work, but I did not try anything between those memory specs.
    Last edited by sudodus; March 9th, 2014 at 06:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro

The partition table seems OK. Did the installation - cloning - finish properly (without any error)?

Will the computer boot from that bridge? Can you connect the drive internally or boot via Plop?
    There were no errors. The hdd will not boot from that bridge. I had the hdd connected during the install. It will not boot but PLOP does recognize the partitions. I took the drive to another PC and tried to install GRuB but that will not work either.

I am going to try another hdd with EIDE cable (80) and go through the documents. There could be a hardware problem here at my end. I have also two more PI166HMZ systems in my shop . One with 128MB RAM.. so I'll be doing some swapping around. I'll keep at the original install too. I'll look over the docs again. Must be something I missed.

Regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; March 9th, 2014 at 11:34 AM.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast