Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 149

Thread: have you got a really old computer

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: have you got a really old computer

    Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I brought out my old NEC Ready 9710 with Pentium MMX 166MHz 32bit virtual/physical. I had to test the PLOP floppy disk and it works just great. Had to find a compatible CD-ROM (as those were one of the First PCs that would set-up to boot from CMOS) and I have the original CD ROM unit working!

    It has only 80MBs of RAM so I further tested the Grub Rescue "live" CD (which is LDXE circa 2011) and it booted -and is running- just beautifully , however .. very slow load up time.

    I am going to try a few more experiments and then perhaps try your method(s) but I want to see if I can actually install trusty Lubuntu to a hard drive from a CD or at least mini.

    Regards.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8lfK...ature=youtu.be
    It should work at least with a text screen with Lubuntu Trusty (it did for me with the non-pae kernel and 80 MB, but not with 64 MB). That was after I installed it with 9w. I'm afraid the mini.iso 'alternate installer' needs more RAM, maybe as much as the double.

    See this link https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/LowRamTesting

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Beta Testing in Canada
    Beans
    5,534
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: have you got a really old computer

    Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    I have a ca. 1997 Micron computer with a 200 MHz Pentium MMX. It ran RedHat 5.0 just fine - my first experience with Linux.

    If that ain't old enough, I also have a ca. 1992 Zeos 486DX2-66 at a whopping 66 MHz. It only has 32 MB of RAM, though, and anyway, I can't seem to find the hand-crank to start 'er up

    All my other old computers are 16-bit, or indeed, 8-bit. I should start a museum...
    I got an Amiga 500, Baby XT and a Nintendo "Duck Shooter" thingy in the basement. Those guns still work (optical recognition) lol

    @sudodus

    Downloading ltrusty-npae now.

    Of course with those other kernels I got:

    cmov

    and of course they would not boot.

    I'll keep you apprised.

    Regards..
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NH USA
    Beans
    1,269
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: have you got a really old computer

    Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I got an Amiga 500, Baby XT and a Nintendo "Duck Shooter" thingy in the basement. Those guns still work (optical recognition) lol

    @sudodus

    Downloading ltrusty-npae now.

    Of course with those other kernels I got:

    cmov

    and of course they would not boot.

    I'll keep you apprised.

    Regards..
    And I've got a 1978 Commodore PET (6502), an original Osborne 1 (Z-80) from 1981, and a Zenith SuperSport "laptop" (8088) from 1988 I think). When I think about all the learning I did on those old machines, I understand what a great foundation in software and hardware it gave me. Heck, I ran a FidoNet point on the SS for several years, until the IntarWebtubez came along in a big way

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: have you got a really old computer

    Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    I have a ca. 1997 Micron computer with a 200 MHz Pentium MMX. It ran RedHat 5.0 just fine - my first experience with Linux.

    If that ain't old enough, I also have a ca. 1992 Zeos 486DX2-66 at a whopping 66 MHz. It only has 32 MB of RAM, though, and anyway, I can't seem to find the hand-crank to start 'er up

    All my other old computers are 16-bit, or indeed, 8-bit. I should start a museum...

    [edit: I did a bit of research, and the Pentium MMX did NOT have PAE, so perhaps I'll give your kernel a try...]
    I think your 1997 Micron computer with a 200 MHz Pentium MMX would be very interesting, particularly if it has at least 64 MB RAM

    Otherwise the Debian installer might work, but not Ubuntu Trusty non-pae, not even in text mode.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NH USA
    Beans
    1,269
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: have you got a really old computer

    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I think your 1997 Micron computer with a 200 MHz Pentium MMX would be very interesting, particularly if it has at least 64 MB RAM

    Otherwise the Debian installer might work, but not Ubuntu Trusty non-pae, not even in text mode.
    I have 64 MB RAM in the thing, so I'll give it a try when I get a chance to blow the dust off it and set it up...

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Beta Testing in Canada
    Beans
    5,534
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: have you got a really old computer

    Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    And I've got a 1978 Commodore PET (6502), an original Osborne 1 (Z-80) from 1981, and a Zenith SuperSport "laptop" (8088) from 1988 I think). When I think about all the learning I did on those old machines, I understand what a great foundation in software and hardware it gave me. Heck, I ran a FidoNet point on the SS for several years, until the IntarWebtubez came along in a big way
    Ran my own Telix and WWIV BBSes. FIDO was a laugh. Quite a few thousand beans I v'e left there You don't want to knowlol Some of those beans were with FIDO_Linux echos. The sysop of the local FIDO point pointed me to try and help some guy by the name of Linus Torvalds who was trying to build his own system. So I logged on there for a while.. that was during the time when he didn't even have a bootable floppy yet lol .. Of course there was UNIVAX and before that , in 1963, the IBM punchcard computers at Norfolk&Western Railways (I wasn't even a teenager yet) lol .. ohhh .. the good olde days. I'm still modding to this day ...
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Beta Testing in Canada
    Beans
    5,534
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: have you got a really old computer

    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    It should work at least with a text screen with Lubuntu Trusty (it did for me with the non-pae kernel and 80 MB, but not with 64 MB). That was after I installed it with 9w. I'm afraid the mini.iso 'alternate installer' needs more RAM, maybe as much as the double.

    See this link https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/LowRamTesting
    I got the full graphical LDXE screen after typing in 'startx'. All is (was) working until I tried to use iceweasle internet browser and now the CD rom light and the hdd light are just reading/writing? on and on .. and I have no idea what it is doing. No harm here . Tons of hdds and old stuff. I am going to disconenct the hdd and try to reboot back the live session and try iceweasle again..

    Regards..
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: have you got a really old computer

    Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Ran my own Telix and WWIV BBSes. FIDO was a laugh. Quite a few thousand beans I v'e left there You don't want to knowlol Some of those beans were with FIDO_Linux echos. The sysop of the local FIDO point pointed me to try and help some guy by the name of Linus Torvalds who was trying to build his own system. So I logged on there for a while.. that was during the time when he didn't even have a bootable floppy yet lol .. Of course there was UNIVAX and before that , in 1963, the IBM punchcard computers at Norfolk&Western Railways (I wasn't even a teenager yet) lol .. ohhh .. the good olde days. I'm still modding to this day ...
    Nice memory about Linus

    from Anybody miss Windows 98 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I grew up with the command line (punched cards, punched tape, teletype terminals, 'dumb' text terminals) and I was around when the first IBM compatible computers appeared. I did not think Windows was stable until NT and not really nice until XP. But Windows 95 was a big step forward from the previous versions and 98 was even better, nice with USB, but not really stable.

    I was also learning UNIX long time ago, so it was not too difficult to convert to linux.

    But I can [multi]boot Windows 98 in an old IBM Thinkcentre for old PC games, some of which do not work in newer operating systems
    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    The punched cards were used when I learned Algol (a programming language similar to C) at college. It did not make me happy, I hated the long waiting time between each attempt to run between the debugging sessions

    Punched cards had 80 positions. Each card represented a text line with max 80 characters (of programming code or input data) and they were stacked in card readers.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: have you got a really old computer

    Great that you are running the installer in graphic mode (LXDE)

    I'm afraid iceweasle needs more RAM than what is available. But

    - can you install?

    Code:
    mkusb /path/filename.img.xz
    - can you edit partitions with gparted?

    - can you read the pdf files?

    - can you install some utitilty for example scrot (and take screenshots)?

    Code:
    apt-get install scrot
    Edit: htop is installed. Can you run it in a window and check the CPU and RAM usage while doing other tasks? Or is it too close to the limit?

    And I think you can at least install in text mode (using the command line with mkusb, that is prompted).
    Last edited by sudodus; March 8th, 2014 at 09:09 PM.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1
    Beans
    4,133
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: have you got a really old computer

    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    This will be interesting

    The iso file, that I intend to upload contains 'everything needed' to flash an installed system (which will be booting from grub).

    mkusb and a compressed image file.

    64 MB RAM seems to be the minimum specified. How much memory is there in your HP Pavilion 6640C?

    If only the mininum RAM the installer will probably run, but I don't know about the Trusty system with a non-pae kernel. It is close to the limit. Depending on the drivers activated (and how much memory they need), it just might boot into text mode. If you have 96 MB RAM or more, the memory will not be a bottleneck, at least not in text mode, but there might be other issues, for example the graphics.

    In that case, remove the boot options quiet splash and add text (and maybe nomodeset)
    will it run a live session?
    it will run puppy linux so it has enough ram, it is 128 or 256
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •