Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 149

Thread: have you got a really old computer

  1. #131
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Beta Testing in Canada
    Beans
    5,435
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: have you got a really old computer

    Update:

    Concerning NEC Ready non-pae system. I have determined through much examination that the hardware , paticularly the motherboard, is defective (will not hold BIOS settings - battery dead warning), and although it has had some sparks of promise to boot, I have to consider the downtime involved. I have other motherboards and , time permitting, I'll check them out.

    Regards...
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

  2. #132
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    7,180

    Re: have you got a really old computer

    Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I got it up to 97MB EDO RAM (from 80MB) but it tells me now that NTLDR is missing ! lol
    It seems something is very wrong!

    It is Debian (the 9w installer) or Ubuntu Trusty (the installed program), that is longing for Windows?

  3. #133
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    7,180

    Re: have you got a really old computer

    Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Update:

    Concerning NEC Ready non-pae system. I have determined through much examination that the hardware , paticularly the motherboard, is defective (will not hold BIOS settings - battery dead warning), and although it has had some sparks of promise to boot, I have to consider the downtime involved. I have other motherboards and , time permitting, I'll check them out.

    Regards...
    Yes, now I think something else is wrong, 96 MB RAM should be OK, at least it should give another error message. There is probably some hardware, than cannot be managed by Trusty, or something that is defective. Anyway, it has been very interesting to follow your experiments with the old NEC.

    Thank you very much for sharing these results

    ... and if you have the time and find a second candidate (a suitable motherboard) ...

  4. #134
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire, U.S.A.
    Beans
    2,448
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: have you got a really old computer

    Here's another semi old one, an IBM Thinkpad R31 circa 2003:

    tpaduser@ThinkpadR31:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 11
    model name : Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU 1066MHz
    stepping : 1
    cpu MHz : 1066.483
    cache size : 256 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 2
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov pse36 mmx fxsr sse up
    bogomips : 2132.96
    clflush size : 32
    cache_alignment : 32
    address sizes : 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
    power management:

    Currently running 10.04

    Let me see if the 9W CD will boot;

    First set of messages displays, runs for a little, screen goes blank and no CD activity. Dead.
    Probably not worth pursuing since it isn't old enough to be on-topic.
    Last edited by jerrylamos; March 18th, 2014 at 01:34 AM. Reason: 9W did not boot

  5. #135
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    7,180

    Re: have you got a really old computer

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    Here's another semi old one, an IBM Thinkpad R31 circa 2003:

    tpaduser@ThinkpadR31:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 11
    model name : Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU 1066MHz
    stepping : 1
    cpu MHz : 1066.483
    cache size : 256 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 2
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov pse36 mmx fxsr sse up
    bogomips : 2132.96
    clflush size : 32
    cache_alignment : 32
    address sizes : 36 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
    power management:

    Currently running 10.04

    Let me see if the 9W CD will boot;

    First set of messages displays, runs for a little, screen goes blank and no CD activity. Dead.
    Probably not worth pursuing since it isn't old enough to be on-topic.
    Sad result

    Your result does not fit in the pattern, that IBM Thinkpads are easy to boot and run, but on the other hand, there is a reason why you are running 10.04 instead of a newer version of the Ubuntu family (for example Xubuntu 12.04 LTS).

    - Did you check the md5sum of the downloaded iso file?
    - Did you try the 9w CD in another PC (any age and kind except UEFI)? - Was burning the CD successful?
    - Do you think it is a problem with a hardware driver, for example the graphics driver?

  6. #136
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Coquitlam, B.C. Canada
    Beans
    1,403
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: have you got a really old computer

    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Edit: But how important is this change?
    Not very. I just did is all, I realized quickly that it needed a "y" and moved on.

    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I'm not sure I understand. The help text window shown by mkusb is displayed with the viewer less. You exit from less with q. It is possible to get into VI editor mode from less, but definitely not the intention in this case.
    I guess it was in "less" then. I am not familiar with "less" and mistook it for VI.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

  7. #137
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Coquitlam, B.C. Canada
    Beans
    1,403
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: have you got a really old computer

    Only now did I shutdown my old old test computer. It dropped down into text mode at the end and clearly left a message that the system was halted. I knew it was safe to turn the power off. Thanks very much, that part is much improved. My system ran for over two days without any issues.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

  8. #138
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    7,180

    Re: have you got a really old computer

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
    Not very. I just did is all, I realized quickly that it needed a "y" and moved on.

    I guess it was in "less" then. I am not familiar with "less" and mistook it for VI.
    Do you think, that the help window (using the viewer less) should be given lower priority, for example, it could be activated on demand, not starting by default?

  9. #139
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    7,180

    Re: have you got a really old computer

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
    Only now did I shutdown my old old test computer. It dropped down into text mode at the end and clearly left a message that the system was halted. I knew it was safe to turn the power off. Thanks very much, that part is much improved. My system ran for over two days without any issues.
    Thank you for great testing and sharing your test results

    I intend to wait a while and then

    - do some improvements to to 9w installer and mkusb
    - add a new version of Trusty non-pae, if available

  10. #140
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Coquitlam, B.C. Canada
    Beans
    1,403
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: have you got a really old computer

    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Do you think, that the help window (using the viewer less) should be given lower priority, for example, it could be activated on demand, not starting by default?
    I do not know.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •