Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evernote Alternative?

Beans

Evernote Alternative?

I realize that there is an Everpad client for Ubuntu, but it isn't working right on my computer. I've tried purging and reinstalling, but it still causes an error. Is there perhaps an open source alternative to Evernote that I can use? Right now I'm just saving my notes as .odt documents in Ubuntu One. THANKS!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Evernote Alternative?

Don't know all the functions of Evernote so I can't say if it's a perfect replacement but I've been enjoying using Springseed as a note-taking app on my computer. It can sync to Dropbox too which is a nice plus. The website is here if you wanna check it out: http://getspringseed.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've never used evernote - don't really know that much about it, but
    * Tomboy
    * BasKet Notes
    * ZIM
    * mediawiki
    are methods to take notes under Linux. Most are local-only solutions, but ..

Another option is the visit the alternativeto.net website to look for alternatives.
    freecode.com also has lots of F/LOSS projects that can be searched.

Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

+1 for zim. It's easy to back up and you can write a script to sync your notebook to Ubuntu One or dropbox so you have your notes in the field. I also use evernote's web client on linux, but it is slow. The evernote developers have no plans for a real linux client.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There is nixnote which is an evernote client for Linux. It does work and is stable as opposed to everpad.
    Also, there is a great app from Google called keep that can be configured to be in the Unity launcher.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

nixnote (was called nevernote) works OK. It is missing some features from the Windows Evernote client and is probably equal in features with the web client.
    Last edited by tgalati4; January 28th, 2014 at 04:26 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Blunt 2c: I never understood the fascination with note-taking applications. If a service magically disappears, do I lose the notes? Even if they're not lost in the event a service tanks, I'd have to retrieve all of them and port them into a new service, no?

This is why I use regular .txt files that are stored in my ownCloud directory, synchronizing up to my own server. Others may prefer to use Dropbox for this. It's as simple as you can get but man, it does the job so well without any fuss. I've also noticed that the Scratch text editor in elementary OS auto-saves new text (assuming the document itself has already been saved and named), which makes it pretty awesome for things like this as I can type type type and it'll save after a short amount of time.
    HOW TO - Set up video surveillance with "Motion"

Buying a Lenovo? Do your research first!
    Some Lenovos have a whitelisted BIOS which prevents you from changing the wifi card.

Beans

RedNotebook is a modern journal
    It includes a calendar navigation, customizable templates, export functionality and word clouds. You can also format, tag and search your entries. RedNotebook is Free Software under the GPL.

http://rednotebook.sourceforge.net/
    My Grandfather said that most people who lack a sense of humour don't lack humour, they lack sense.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Evernote 5.x has reported to "gold" status (works pretty good) on Wine 1.7.2 running over Ubuntu Raring 13.04

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=28945
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans

Thanks everyone! I'm trying them all out now to see which one I like the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast