Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here playing Magic the Gathering through Mindless Automaton or Apprentice?

Beans

Anyone here playing Magic the Gathering through Mindless Automaton or Apprentice?

Hey,

I recently discovered Mindless Automaton, a program that provides a kind of virtual table to play Magic the Gathering against other players using either this program or the widely used Apprentice software. I'd like to know if anyone here also uses this software and is maybe interested in some casual gaming. I started playing MtG four years ago, so I know the rules, at least most of them If someone here is interested in playing a few round of Magic once in while using Mindless Automaton or Apprentice, please let me know. Just answer in this thread or PM me. You might also contact me via AIM. I only use decks with cards that I actually own in reality because this is still a trading card game , so it would be nice if you did the same.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to playing with you.

P.S.: I use every card I have, the only limitation I use is the banned/restricted list for Vintage, that means for example only one Demonic Tutor or Strip Mine instead of four.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Anyone here playing Magic the Gathering through Mindless Automaton or Apprentice?

I used to run Apprentice under wine. I stopped playing Magic after I went to college though, as there was noone who really played. I used to play standard and extended pretty competitively, but now only draft occasionally or play some t1.
    - JMF
    Registered Linux User #371168

Beans

Re: Anyone here playing Magic the Gathering through Mindless Automaton or Apprentice?

wine apprentice give me a runtime error and alien mindless-1.6-1.i386.rpm
    error out.I don't feel like spending to much time on this(summer . jayemef do you have a quick howto or a pointer to have it working.thx bunch

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Nope. This was probably 3 or so years ago, and I haven't installed it in a long while. If you can post the errors you're getting though, I might be able to help.
    - JMF
    Registered Linux User #371168

Beans

I used to play Magic up untill like...uh, Darksteel....I think. But it was pretty expensive to play in my local tourney. I diddn't have to but playing with jank decks were no fun

I recently broke out my old cards and played with my brother and got into it and was actually looking for something to play online with, or just with my computer in general.

I might look at running apprentice, I can't get mindless to work though. It errors out when I do "make". I might try to figure it out, and I might not.

Beans

If anyone is interested, I uploaded the deb that I created with alien. You can get it here. The file will be deleted 30 days after the last download, so if the link is dead, just contact me. You will need a database that contains all the cards. You could install Apprentice on a Windows machine and the copy the database, or you can download this file, and extract it somewhere. It is the most recent database I found, containing even cards from the spoiler list of Coldsnap, the next magic extension. Again, if someone is interested in playing, feel free to contact me

Beans

Hi i have been a long time player and just stumble on apprentice my computer is undergoing some upgrades and minos fixes but i should be available to play test for the first time on tuesday. let me know if you still wanna play. Btw I do the same, I play only with cards I own.

Beans

thanks for posting the links ) BUt i think they are dead. Can you still get the DB ?

Beans

Well, I will join this gravdigging session here
    I tried nearly all the programms available out there and came to the conclusion that Magic Workstation probably is one of the best. It has lots of options and neat tools.
    Mindless Automaton on the other hand is actuall FOSS and works just fine for the casual game among friends.
    Both work just dandy on my Gentoo-PC at home, but both fail miserably on my UNR-driven netbook

On trying to compile the (latest) source of MA I get:
    Code:
    Package gtk+-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
    Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtk+-2.0.pc'
    to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable                  
    No package 'gtk+-2.0' found                                  
    mindless.c:16:21: Fehler: gtk/gtk.h: No such file or directory
    mindless.c:17:28: Fehler: gdk/gdkkeysyms.h: No such file or directory
    followed by a whole slew of compile errors after that which I HOPE are just related to the missing gtk stuff.. any hints on what I might need to install to make this work?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by thom_raindog View Post
    Well, I will join this gravdigging session here
    I tried nearly all the programms available out there and came to the conclusion that Magic Workstation probably is one of the best. It has lots of options and neat tools.
    Mindless Automaton on the other hand is actuall FOSS and works just fine for the casual game among friends.
    Both work just dandy on my Gentoo-PC at home, but both fail miserably on my UNR-driven netbook

On trying to compile the (latest) source of MA I get:
    Code:
    Package gtk+-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
    Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtk+-2.0.pc'
    to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable                  
    No package 'gtk+-2.0' found                                  
    mindless.c:16:21: Fehler: gtk/gtk.h: No such file or directory
    mindless.c:17:28: Fehler: gdk/gdkkeysyms.h: No such file or directory
    followed by a whole slew of compile errors after that which I HOPE are just related to the missing gtk stuff.. any hints on what I might need to install to make this work?
    this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast