Thread: Ultimate Edition upgrade issues..... very urgent

Beans

Ultimate Edition upgrade issues..... very urgent

Hello guys,

i am running Ultimate Edition 3.4 with 12.04... then i decided to upgrade so it upgraded to 12.10
    now it ruined my UE and i am trying to upgrade again to the 13.10 but i keep on getting errors

----
    Could not calculate the upgrade

An unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade.

This can be caused by:
    * Upgrading to a pre-release version of Ubuntu
    * Running the current pre-release version of Ubuntu
    * Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu
    ----

i really hate to reinstall and i just wanted to upgrade and keep my UE or upgrade it...

anything else i can do to fix my UE and upgrade it? and can i upgrade to 3.8 ?
    btw my DVD rom doesn't work so i can only use USB.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ultimate Edition upgrade issues..... very urgent

As I understand it, UE is no more uprgadable than Mint. I was an enthusiastic UE user a few years ago, and of Mint, but I decided to come back to the Ubuntu source.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

i am used to it. it has everything and works like charm on my laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Ubuntu 12.10 and 13.10 reach EOL next month and the repositories will close but I don't know if this affects UE . If UE uses the official repositories you wont be able to update anymore. You could wait and give 14.04 a try in April or keep 12.04. 13.04 is already EOL which would be needed to get to 13.10.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; March 7th, 2014 at 07:44 PM.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

Just to find out where you are with the system you have ..... do this but answer No to the upgrade

I just want you to post the listing back that you get from it ........ if any.

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install aptitude

sudo aptitude update

Code:
    A long list of things may come back here - just cut and paste them back in a code /code box please.
    ( We can but try ...... as I managed recently to take Ultimate Edition 2.8 right through to 14.04 and
    have still retained a lot of what I like about the Ultimate Edition Distro )

sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

Answer no to the upgrade - and quit out of it 

........ we just want to get some information to start with ......
    call it a recon ...... as said in previous posts - you may be easier doing a 14.04 install on the 17th April
    but that will not keep anything you have now - even a upgrade will try to remove all the Themes from
    UE ....... but we can lock them in Synaptic to retain them .... what is the main use of the machine and have
    you backed up everything ........ one good thing I found to retain the OS is Timeshift .... which just takes
    a snapshot of the OS in its current state ...........

But all home files need backing up separate as they will not be kept with Timeshift .... but all passwords in Firefox
    and links etc seem to remain ........... ( just another choice if you wish to take it )

Looks like another option is available too ..... http://ultimateedition.info/
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; March 9th, 2014 at 06:15 PM. Reason: added code tags and bold to show the most important line as the rest is just making sure listings are all uptodate